Hungry Girl

Hi there, I just wanted to share a trade secret of mine. I recommend everyone out there buy Hungry Girl cook books. It is also now a show on Food Network. Her recipes are soooo good and very low in calories. You can eat things like cheese burger, onion rings and my favorite, chili cheese hot dog!!!:love:

Replies

• nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    yes, you can, but her recipes are usually made up of chemicals and fake food in order to make it low cal and low fat.
    Do your body a favor and try an Ellie Krieger cook book instead.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    yes, you can, but her recipes are usually made up of chemicals and fake food in order to make it low cal and low fat.
    Ditto! Some of the Hungry Girl's stuff is ok, but her overreliance on artificial sweeteners and other fake foods doesn't really help your body. I love Ellie Krieger and/or Appetite for Reduction (vegan, but OH. SO. GOOD.)
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Ellie Kreiger recipes are REALLY good. I also use a lot of the recipes in the 'Cook This Not That' cookbooks which are very simple. Some have some excess sodium but are easily modified.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member

Her stuff is sooo yummy (and stupidly easy)! My body can't tolerate artificial sweeteners, so I typically sub in regular sugar. Of course, I make sure to adjust the final nutritional info. Thank goodness to the recipe function of MFP! :)
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    only thing I like about hungry girl is her growing oatmeal... most of her other recipes I have tried havent been that great..
  • mung222
    mung222 Posts: 58 Member
    She actually has a lot of natural recipes if you look through all of her books. Like last night i made grilled chicken stuffed with tomatoe and basil and mozz cheese. Really good and only around 200 calories.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Hi there, I just wanted to share a trade secret of mine. I recommend everyone out there buy Hungry Girl cook books. It is also now a show on Food Network. Her recipes are soooo good and very low in calories. You can eat things like cheese burger, onion rings and my favorite, chili cheese hot dog!!!:love:

I think it is great that you have found something you enjoy so much!
  • agree just unnatural stuff! tosca reno is amazing.. like her better
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    I was really excited when I first found her too... until I tried some of her recipes. They look MUCH better than they taste, and as others have said she uses a ton of artificial junk. I really like some of the other food blogs I've found on this site though!
    Skinnytaste.com and chocolatecoveredkatie.com are awesome!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    I wanted to add.... as much as I am not a fan of HG's artifical sweetness.... I do like her cottage cheese apple snack-- blend up cottage cheese, a bit of sugar or honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. I blend it in the food processor bc I hate the texture of cc. Then add a diced up apple. I LOVE this snack. It's super yummy, and my kids love it, too.
  • leannamichelle
    leannamichelle Posts: 35 Member
    Thanks for the recommendation.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Why do I need a cookbook to tell me how to make a cheeseburger, onion rings or hot dog? Those are pretty simple things to make. Show me a book that tells how to make a rack of baby back ribs slathered wtih bbq sauce low cal and then we'll talk.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

I love Ellie Krieger's recipies. That's real food.
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    I like her stuff to. Her website is FUN! I just have a hard time finding some of her substitutes.