Banking Calories

Options

Replies

• TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can do this because the body can only process so many calories, nutrients, etc... What is not processed is going to be stored, probably as fat. I am not a nutritionist, but it makes sense to me.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Still, I would suggest trying to find nutritional information before you go so you don't go too far over. 350 extra can be eaten in a few forkfuls if you're not careful.
    Oh, so true!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    No, you can't bank your calories like that. If you know where you're going, lookup their nutritional information on their website. At Longhorn, I usually go with the small salmon, 1/2 of a plain sweet potato and asparagus. Not many calories and not much sodium. Your alternative is to take the meal off and eat whatever you want.

What's the difference between banking calories and "taking the meal off"?? Of course you can bank your calories...
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can do this because the body can only process so many calories, nutrients, etc... What is not processed is going to be stored, probably as fat. I am not a nutritionist, but it makes sense to me.

What matters is that over the course of time, you are in a calorie deficit.

If I am supposed to average 10,000 calories over the course of 4 days in order to lose 1lb, I can choose to eat 1000, 5000, 2000, 2000 or I could choose to eat 2500, 2500, 2500, 2500 and the net result will be the same.

You can freely shift calories provided you do it with at least some degree of accuracy.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Why can't you? If you end up with a deficit it'll be a loss...js
  • carriann2012
    carriann2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    No, you can't bank your calories like that. If you know where you're going, lookup their nutritional information on their website. At Longhorn, I usually go with the small salmon, 1/2 of a plain sweet potato and asparagus. Not many calories and not much sodium. Your alternative is to take the meal off and eat whatever you want.
    Yes, actually you can.

I agree :) You can and it works for me :happy:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Think about it for a moment. If she eats dinner the same time tonight that she did last night, we are talking about a period of 25 hours. There's nothing magical that the body suddenly says "oh it's been 24 hours, time to store some fat!" I'm not saying you can bank calories indefinitely, but we are talking about ONE DAY.

By the way... how do you think food turns into fat without being processed?
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

What does that even mean? How would it be stored as fat if your body didn't process it? :huh:
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Your body is very efficient at processing calories. However, if you are under goal by 350 calories one day, you'll lose an extra 1/10 of a pound that day...if you are over by 350 the next, you gain an extra 1/10 of a pound that day....for a net total of *surprise* 0 extra pounds gained/lost.

The body does not have a magic trigger that converts any extra calories into fat at midnight, so in that sense you can definitely bank calories.
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    as (nearly ) everyone else said, of course you can! Enjoy
  • tamaraland
    Options
    banking calories has to work somewhat or else I would be screwed. Some days I go way over, and might notice a temporary weight gain but at the end of the week it all balances out for me. If only I could bank sleep....
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

What matters is that over the course of time, you are in a calorie deficit.

If I am supposed to average 10,000 calories over the course of 4 days in order to lose 1lb, I can choose to eat 1000, 5000, 2000, 2000 or I could choose to eat 2500, 2500, 2500, 2500 and the net result will be the same.

You can freely shift calories provided you do it with at least some degree of accuracy.
    [/quote]

Yep this! I've lost 80 lbs by looking at my overall weekly total and balancing everything out that way!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Sure you can do it. I'm in maintenance and routinely give myself a full 48 hours to eat back 100% of my exercise calories. I've had no difficulty at all maintaining my weight and body fat percentage.
  • Gabriall
    Gabriall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    im pretty sure weight watchers allows you to bank a days worth of calories, maybe even two.. personally i tend to zig zag anyway so that each day is different.. also i love going out to resturants, though i do tend to make a plan before hand by looking at their menu and nutritional information.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Bank away!
  • bsampson2722
    bsampson2722 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    weight watchers says no but they also give you extra points to use throughout your week, so just look at it like you used all of your extras in one day
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I read an article about some celebrity (don't remember name) who said her trick for staying slim when she had to do a lot of social dining was to always make sure she dieted and exercised enough over a three day period to compensate for the overeating. She didn't call it banking calories, but it sounds like the same thing. Some people can do his, but it's not generally a good idea. First, on the days when you overeat, you spike your blood sugar (you can read about this in The South Beach Diet book), and that causes you to crave more carbs and sugars. Second you are cycling your body between low and high blood sugar, and that is one of the things that is suspected as a cause of developing insulin resistance. It's something most people do once in a while, but it probably isn't a good idea to do it on a regular basis.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I don't know about banking calories, but I do know about having unexpected after-midnight calories. I add them to my breakfast or lunch the next day. That way, I may think twice about those late night indiscretions!
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    well, you can't be expected to be good EVERY day.

I personally don't 'bank', but it's because I like to challenge myself. It helps keep me in check at parties and stuff (none of that back-of-my-mind "you can do it just this ONCE" voice).
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    yes you can. I do it on a regular basis, called zig zagging by some. I do more of a weekly goal than daily. I'm under some days and over on others. Go at it!