Hey, just joined a few days ago and reality is already hit

Options
I am really excited about the MFP site and using the food diary to help me keep track of my calories. I can't believe I have been consuming all those calories without knowing it. I guess that is why I am not making progress with my weight loss.

My daughter is getting married in September and I am walking her down the aisle. I really want to look good for her day and for the pictures that will last a life time.

I have been in many diet programs and don't seem to make much progress so I hope this is the answer to my prayers.

I look forward to hearing from people and getting ideas and support to make this try a successful try.

Replies

• mugglez
    mugglez Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have on for about three weeks and i'm down about 6lbs... my girlfriend has lost 17 since september.... it works just stick with it and get food creative! good luck!
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    All I can say is be accurate about your portions - measure if you have to - because we all underestimate at first. I have good days and bad days, and I just try to make sure my calories average what they are supposed to for the week, at the end of the week. If I can see they aren't going to, I either have to cut back or ramp up the exercise! I try to do high protein but I'm not a stickler about it. It worked very well for me the first four months, though, until I added some carbs back in.
  • Abbie_Thompson
    Abbie_Thompson Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing when I first joined. I was eating more than 1/2 a days calories on meals that I thought was "being good"! Good luck on you endeavor, this site has been a real help to me.
  • clarehodgson14
    Options
    hey there, this does work and with commitment can be done. feel free to add me for support and advice if i can. i'm 35, in the uk and work for the NHS
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If you are making a drastic change, I would do it a little gradually. I always went over my calorie goals at first, but it got much easier. It can be hard to stick to if you try to change everything at once!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I started. But this time I really tried to focus on the low hanging fruits. I took one choice at a time and didn't focus on the 80 lbs I needed to lose, I just tried to take the healthier option each time. If I did slip, I didn't let that lead to more bad choices (I call this my "whole bag of chips habit. :ohwell: ) I set really modest goals (5 lbs a month) and didn't worry when I only lost 1 lb or .5 lbs. A loss was a loss. Now, almost 12 months later I am down 59 lbs and my goal is only 21 lbs away. I feel stronger and healthier and happier.

So I know it feels like September is close and you want to drop fast, but I encourage you to take a nice slow approach and you will be surprised by how quickly the slow approach gets you where you want to be. Frankly faster than if you drop quick and then stop because you can't deprive youself anymore.

Good luck to you!!:drinker:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing when I first joined. I was eating more than 1/2 a days calories on meals that I thought was "being good"! Good luck on you endeavor, this site has been a real help to me.
    OMG...this was me too...and setting the diary to show sodium was an eye opener!

I have a friend who always claims she's eating "good" and "healthy" but doesn't lose weight, and I've tried to get her on here, because its really enlightening to find out exactly what you're putting into your body!
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I know what you mean, sometimes I can't believe how many calories I was eating, when I was eating the wrong foods - but eventually you get pleasantly suprised when you see how low calorie some foods are - like you can eat craploads of vegies!

I'm still relatively new - have been tracking for a couple of weeks, if you are looking for MFP friends feel free to add me, it gives you more motivation to be good if you know others are watching!
  • slewisharvey1
    Options
    Hi, I have only been on the site for about 2 months now. I am really surprised how easy it can be. I have increased my veggies and fruit. I watch the carbs and drink lots of water. I have basically given up the sodas and I see the results already. Don't rely on the scale only to see the difference. When you feel the difference in the clothes you are used to wearing, it gives you the incentive to press on. Keep going!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Friend up!
    You loose more weight with friends!
    They can help you!
    And you get to see some stupid decisions and you can help those ppl too!
    =D
    Hugs!
  • Kylea51
    Options
    Congrats on your daughter's wedding!! Mine is getting married in Oct. :bigsmile: I feel the same. want to look good for her. (and feel better about me) Welcome and you will find good freinds and lots of support here. I havent lost any pounds yet, but have lost a few inches here and there in a month that ive been here, so Im looking at that as good.

Welcome again and Happy Losing!!