HUNGRY!

Options
Can someone please remind me how long it takes your body to adjust to your new caloric intake?? I've been logging for 4 days now and I'M HUNGRY! I'm eating back my workout calories too, but I apparently was eating WAY more than the 1300 calories this site lets me have.

And before you tell me to eat more protein...I'm eating over my allowed protein every day and at or just shy of my allowed fiber each day. AND I'm drinking 9-10 glasses of water throughout the day, so it's not thirst.

I hate this adjustment period...

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Can someone please remind me how long it takes your body to adjust to your new caloric intake?? I've been logging for 4 days now and I'M HUNGRY! I'm eating back my workout calories too, but I apparently was eating WAY more than the 1300 calories this site lets me have.

And before you tell me to eat more protein...I'm eating over my allowed protein every day and at or just shy of my allowed fiber each day. AND I'm drinking 9-10 glasses of water throughout the day, so it's not thirst.

You are in a deficit, you will be hungry. Stay strong! You can up your protein if you want. I do 30% protein. :flowerforyou:
  • andy2486
    andy2486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think it can take up to a full week for your body to adjust to lowered calories. The first couple days are the hardest because your body is used to eating more and now your metabolism is speeding up, therefore eating up not only the calories you intake faster, but it is also starting to eat your stored stuff. What is your average meal plan, if I may ask?
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have a cobbled-together plan, I guess. Eggs & coffee for breakfast, snack a few hours later, lunch a few hours after that (around 350 calories), snack a few hours after that, then dinner after my workout. Sometimes I have to have two snacks in the afternoon if I can't eat until 8:30 pm. Does that answer your question?
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Your body will adjust slowly, over a couple of weeks I find. Eat lots of protein and fibre. This is an interesting article targeted at runners about eating but your get the idea. http://www.womens-running.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-520-492-13589-0,00.html You are operating at a calorie deficit so you will be hungry sometimes. But it's not the end of the world, it ain't gonna kill you.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options

Who says you have to eat MFP's recommended amount of protein? I eat 5carb/35protein/60fat. That's what works for me. You just have to find what works for you.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Be sure you arent below BMR or your body will always beg for food!
    If your vital organs arent getting the nutrients its your bodies way of saying "WTF ARE YOU DOING?!?!?!?!?"
    =D
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of fruits & veggies, soup, and hot tea. Somehow the whole stuff makes fewer calories a lot easier.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein
  • andy2486
    andy2486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to have a low calorie protein shake as your snack before you work out? I have found that I get most hungry during my work out, but it passes after about 10 minutes because my high water intake starts to kick in, and the last hour before I get out of bed in the morning. You have got the schedule down, eating every 2 to 3 hours is best. Maybe you need a little more good fat in there, like peanut butter. This has been my average plan the past couple weeks:

Around 9 a.m. Breakfast Kirkland/Costco Weight loss chocolate shake (230 cals)

Around 1 or 2 p.m. Lunch: toasted sandwhich thins (100 cals), peanut butter (90 cals for 2 tablespoons) with a cubed granny smith apple on top (around 80 cals) and a light string cheese (60 cals). That fills me up pretty well.

Snack: If I get hungry, I will eat some almonds or another light string cheese (I might eat this between breakfast and lunch so that my lunch will be later to hold me over to dinner)

Then, after I work out I eat:
    Dinner: I like the Healthy Choice steamers, the smaller ones (around 200-250 cals).

Lately, my exercise has consisted of 2 hours of cardio (usually on an eliptical) and I burn off 1000-1800 calories. But sometimes I will do an hour of Zumba or an hour of Body Pump (which is an upbeat weight lifting class).
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    One of the worst things you can do while you're on a diet is to constantly remind yourself of food. The more you think about it, the more hungry you'll get. Hell, that was my eating problem in its ENTIRETY - I just never had food far enough from my mind.

My advice:

- Eat your foods
    - Log them on MFP
    - Take up activities that you know will distract you
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    If you have it set to losing two pounds per week you could back it off to 1 lb per week, then you can eat more.
    I set my macros to 40/30/30 for carbs/protein/fat and if I get enough lean protein I really am not hungry. I might still crave sugar but I am not truly hungry. My diary is public if you want to check it out-I am rarely successful at sticking to the macros exactly, but you can see how much I eat. I have it set to maintenance and I weigh 112.
  • sjcsviola85
    Options

add me and look at my food diary .... I have only just adjusted (i think) to small meals ... and I am fully aware that i'm still not really eating enough calories but i'm a fussy eater, and so its just taking me time to find good calorie foods to eat, plus on days like monday just gone, i'd burned more cals than I had eaten in the whole day, by which time (because I went for a swim at 9pm) it was too late for me to eat back cals, leaving me with a net caloric intake of -10.

Your bound to be hungry i'd say it'll take another couple of days but stick with it - if you can bear to eat a ryvita or similar instead of that slice of bread (i'm just generalising with what my struggle was to start with lol) then do it ... theyre suprisingliy filling and today I sat down with a bowl of soup, three ryvitas and 1 slice of brown bread, I ended up putting back two of the ryvita (i'd already lightly buttered the bread) because I was full already! its amazing to think how a stomach can get used to such small meals when after so long of me eating so much in the past.
    you will get there :) feel free to add me if you like :D

SJ
  • robinpickles
    robinpickles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you make really good choices, 1200 (or more) calories will really take you far.

The Healthy Pop Pop corn is always a good go to snack for me. only 100 Cals for the whole BAG! kinda high in salt, but I always drink a big bottle of water with it...

I gorge on vegetables (fresh, raw and no dressing) when I am starving... it helps get you by, and it gets WAY easier, I struggle to Meet my calorie needs now...

try..

www.skinnytaste.com or www.skinnycrockpot.com

I found those recipes great, tasty and still gives me the pleasure of cooking =)
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, than eat. Try a modest calorie deficit instead of a big one. Slow and steady is often the best way to go. You'll be more likely to stick with your diet and once you lose the weight, you'll be more likely to keep it off.

I sometimes get a little hungry on 1800 calories. If I'm a little hungry, I'll chew some gum or something. If I'm a lot hungry, I eat whether I'm over my calories or not, simply because I know I cannot succeed on this diet if I am miserable.
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    How do you adjust the percentage of carbs, fat & protein? I've been looking in my settings and can't find it...
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    just go under the "my home" tab at the top, select "goals" in the bar below the tabs, and "change goals" select "custom" and you can change the percentages how you want.