Pyramids, Drop sets? Enlighten me!

Options
Greetings MFP family!

I'm trying to understand the point of different ways of structuring weight lifting sets. I've tried looking through some of the bodybuilding forums, but I really don't understand the lingo. Plus, I can't really afford a personal trainer right now, so I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible from you all.

I'd like to understand the purposes of drop sets and pyramids. They seem like they're just reverses of each other, but what are they useful for? Any certain muscle groups that tend to respond better to one style? And what other set styles are beneficial, like super sets?

Also, just so we're all on the same page, to my understanding a pyramid would be something like: 15 reps @ 15lbs, 10 reps @ 25, 5 reps @ 35lbs (assuming at or near failure for each set).
Drop sets would be the reverse.

Any clarification and info would be much appreciated!

Replies

• jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    When I swam and then again when I took a conditioning course during my undergrad, I would do drop sets on leg presses. Both times I was working with a coach so I'm going by what they did. I'd start at a heavy weight and lift till fatigue, drop the weight and again go to fatigue, continuing until I was only lifting the weight of the sled. The amount of weight you start with and drop at each interval would be something you'd have to play with (I know I started with 200% BW, which is really high for a girl! and decrease a plate at a time-meaning my coach would pull one plate off after each set).

I have not done Pyramid training but I'd guess that you'd start with high reps/low weight working up to low reps/high weight and then back down of the course of however many sets (probably 5-7). I'm guessing this based on the name of the technique and the shape of a pyramid. :smile:
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input jecka. Did you notice the drop sets helping you gain strength more quickly?