Is Cardio Enough

Im trying to lose about 50 lbs. IM losing weigh pretty fast but i know its mostly water and some fat...I do cardio everyday whether at the gym or i do 10 mile bike rides or longer when its not cold in Florida. How important is adding in weight training? I read online that its honestly isnt important because even though muscle helps burn fat the increase in calorie burn you can do by just chewing gum, for example. and that its just simply a myth. then i read how important it is that muscle burn more calories than fat.. Is there a physician on this site than can truly give me the answer.

A fitness trainer wants to train me but of course some charge an outrageous price and im not sure if what they say is scientifically correct. Yes they do take some courses in metabolism but they are not doctors and I am always a bit hesistant to think its just for the money. Love to hear your guys input. I already received input from my MFP friends but curious to know what others have to say!

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    It depends how you want to look at the end of 50lbs lost. If you do weights consistently you'll strip more fat and show your muscles. You do cardio only you'll strip fat but you'll strip muscle too. You won't look as nice.

I've lost 50lbs (still about 100lbs) to go and my weight training has been sporadic. I can't wait to get back into it and make it a habit!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Weight training is the best way to maintain your muscle in a calorie deficit. When you reduce your calories, your body can actually use muscle to meet its energy needs. If you do all cardio and no strength training, you can end up with a skinny fat look...basically just a smaller version of your old self.

It also burns calories and increases your metabolism. Lifting weights creates micro trauma to the muscle fibers, which must be repaired in the recovery period. This process takes a lot of energy, so it can actually stimulate a greater post-exercise metabolism boosting effect than cardio.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    I had about 70 lbs total to lose and didn't start weight training until I'd lost about 50 and I'm really glad I did. It slowed down the weight loss a little but I look better, feel better, and am still losing inches as I build muscle. I don't do anything dramatic and I still do my cardio but adding some strength training has done wonders for me.