Eating Out.....

Options
I am trying to lose about 30 pounds by Feburary. Would it be best to cut out all my fast foods for the time being or is there somethings that I can still eat? I usually go to chick fil a and get a grilled chicken sandwich or one from mcdonalds. I also get an egg mcmuffin in the mornings sometimes for breakfast when I have an early class. Are those ok choices? Also, I got a chicken cobb salad today for lunch it had bacon, eggs, cheese, tomato, chicken, and bacon on it with a mix of roman and spring lettuce. Was that a complete bad choice? I thought salads would be a good choice but when I put it in my log it seemed to have a high calorie number.

Thanks in advanced for the advice:smile:

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You'll probably get a bunch of different answers to this.

I don't personally eat ANY fast food. It isn't so much about calories as it is about taste and it upsetting my poor tummy every time I eat any of it. Because of those things, I never eat it. I would rather spend my calories on good food that doesn't make me sick. However, you'll find that a lot of people on here still eat fast food - they simply eat it in moderation. I don't recommend eating it everyday - but once in awhile won't hurt. Just watch the calories and drink water (since alot of fast/restaurant food has a lot of sodium in it). If you're going to go out, check nutritional facts BEFORE you go, so you'll make the best decision possible.

Good Luck!
  • travm2007
    Options
    Cooking meals at home would be better but fast food is alright if it is very infrequent. What you have to really watch besides the calories is the insane levels of sodium and fat in everything they serve. I've tried to cut fast food out but usually end up having it once or twice a week. I do notice a difference in my energy levels the next day while exercising after eating fast food; seems like it always makes me tired and not as into the workout, but it could just be me. You are right that salads can sometimes not be the best choice, they can be loaded with calories, especially in sauces and dressings, your best bet is to read the nutrition guides before hand to make the best choice before ordering. Hope this helps!
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    Log it!! You have to put it in context. Can you eat it (chik fil a, cobb salad, egg mcmuffin) and have it fit into your calories such that you have enough for the rest of the day? Chances are you are going to discover, like when you logged the cobb salad that yes, you will likely need to cut out a lot of the fast foods to meet your goal. Most are simply super high in calories. And they aren't delivering a lot of nutrition for those calories. Some are better on that, like the salad, but are still hard to squeeze into the day.

Of course, you have the option of adding exercise to increase your available calories. It's an equation that you are trying to make come out equal.

To a certain extent, calories are calories and you have to eat less than you are burning to lose weight. But food choices play into how full you feel, how good you feel, how much energy you have. If your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs, it will keep telling you it is hungry - it is the only signal it has.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    some fast foods are better than others. Your choices at Chick fil A and McDonalds for the sandwiches are similar to mine. I hold any sauce or mayo, get the wheat bun. The side salad at chick fil a is also a good choice with fat free dressing or plain. Any salad with eggs, cheese, bacon or ham is probably not the best choice. Grilled chicken with veggies is best and go very lite on the dressing.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Lot's of fast food joints have healthier choices now. Like someone else said if it fits in your calorie intake then go for it.
    Me peronally I cut way back on fast food.
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    You can make quick things at home and carry them with you.

Wraps are terrific for lunch and they carry well, I also get snack ziplocks and portion out my veggies, nuts, chips whatever the night before. I make my own "McMuffin" I toast an english muffin, a bit of "I can't believe it's not butter" spray, ff american cheese and 2 turkey sausages (it takes 90 seconds to make) - I also make oatmeal and put it in a plastic cup and eat it on the way to work.
  • jmgcummins
    jmgcummins Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Check out the websites of your favourite fast food places, they should have nutrition information on each of their items.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    There are many way to eat :) and yes it is possible to do by february.
    Here is some useful site you may like.
    If you have any question let me know and feel free to add me as friend.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371
    www.bodyrock.tv
    www.myomytv.com
    I am trying to lose about 30 pounds by Feburary. Would it be best to cut out all my fast foods for the time being or is there somethings that I can still eat? I usually go to chick fil a and get a grilled chicken sandwich or one from mcdonalds. I also get an egg mcmuffin in the mornings sometimes for breakfast when I have an early class. Are those ok choices? Also, I got a chicken cobb salad today for lunch it had bacon, eggs, cheese, tomato, chicken, and bacon on it with a mix of roman and spring lettuce. Was that a complete bad choice? I thought salads would be a good choice but when I put it in my log it seemed to have a high calorie number.

Thanks in advanced for the advice:smile:
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think you have to really check the calories/fat/sodium BEFORE you go if at all possible. There can be good choices there, but you have to be aware and plan around it the rest of the day. The side salads seem to be pretty safe with fat free or lite dressings. Adding anything other than veggies to a sandwich and sometimes just the bread alone will put you over. Just make yourself familiar with the menu ahead of time if at all possible, maybe the places you like to frequent. I have found that since logging my food, I make a lot different choices than before and find that I really didn't have to have all of that food before to be full! If I'm not mistaken they butter the english muffin for the egg mcmuffin, ask for it without butter or cheese. You can try it and see if you can live with it if you're going to eat it often. It may be a matter of getting your taste buds used to not having the cheese, mayo, butter on things. Hope this was helpful :-).
  • kysassyblonde1
    Options
    if you have a smart phone you can download the mfp app and anytime you are out to eat at a chain restraunt just pull it up and you can see what is low and what is high in calories. Sometimes I am shocked at what is low and what is high. Was shocked one day to find out the turkey burger at back yard burgers has more calories than the beef burger, had I not had the app I would of guessed turkey burger to be the lowest calorie item on the menu.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    It's always helpful to check out the menus ahead of time online- and see if you can tweak your selections-

Drink water instead of soda pop, skip the bun altogether, hold the cheese, change your choice of condiments- are all ways to make lower calorie choices.
    These are healthy habits that are a good idea to develop= to be aware of what you're eating.
    I know you want to lose 30 pounds by February, but you obviously don't want to get them back either, right?
    Learning to make healthier choices is key to that.

Best wishes to you! You can do this!

I never avoided places like this, just kinda plan ahead...

as the old saying goes: "Forewarned is forearmed."
  • Samantha1941
    Samantha1941 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Personally what I think would be best is eat meals and snacks that you prepare and eat out once in a while as a treat and plan ahead of time and be aware of how many calories is in what you want to have that way you can eat sensibly. With me, when I go out to eat and try and get something healthy and low cal its hard because I get envious of what everyone else is eating and that leads to temptation and then I possibly might break down and eat something I shouldn't.

So I say its best as a once in a while thing and to choose something within sensible calorie range.