Disappointing Dr. visit....

Options
2»

Replies

• cncersux
    Options
    I'd say that if it's working for you then stick with it. Better to lose weight slowly and stay motivated then to be starving and binge. You will get discouraged from being so hungry then mad at your self for going over that CRAZY 900 calorie restriction. If it were me I'd stay with what works. Good luck either way....and enjoy the journey!:smile:
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Ok. I'm a doctor, and I hate to say it, but your doctor sounds like an idiot. Keep doing what you're doing. 900 cals is ridiculous and unsustainable mentally, let alone physically. You need to keep doing what you can stick with in the longterm. Good job on losing the first 10 pounds!
  • laurette1
    Options
    You should stick with what you are doing right now. 900 seems way too low. Your doctor may be trying to help you, but most people don't understand how hard it is to lose weight. It sounds like he is one of them. Hang in there and be sure to monitor your BP. Ten pounds is something to be proud of!
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    10lbs so far is awesome. Slow and steady is the way that this weight is going to come off and stay off.

I would also get a second opinion and see a nutritionalist.

Again I want to stress how awesome I think your progress so far is. Do not let the doctor take anything away from that, please.
  • teethom2
    Options
    Ok, I used to keep myself to a 900 calorie diet in general (for several years) and weighed around 115 pounds (5 foot 2). A lot of people don't realize just how much food you can eat on 900 calories if you eat the right foods (lean meat, veggies, and overall balance) and exercise, too. That being said, it was really stupid! Yes, it worked, but that doesn't mean it's a good way to do it. I completely agree that it's un-sustainable in the long run, especially if you enjoy food (like I do). I've yo-yo'd back and forth on that "diet" for a few years now (because it IS un-sustainable in the long run) and am now trying a "new" approach (new to me, anyway). I get somewhere around 1200-1500 calories a day and exercise a little smarter. The added calories feel like I'm "pigging out" (esp if I still choose smart foods), and lo-and-behold, I'm losing weight! Your Dr.'s plan will work, but wouldn't you rather have a plan that works and doesn't make you feel miserably deprived? Go see a nutritionist. They'll help you choose the right kind of foods for your body. We're not all the same.
  • mrsfortune
    mrsfortune Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!! I am definitely looking into a new Dr and will set up an appointment with the nutritionist at my job ASAP. I'm so disappointed that I never realized that he never recommended a nutritionist.