Yoga?

Options
Does anyone do Yoga at home? I notice that the older I get, the more my joints ache when I exercise - walk or jog or otherwise. I'm thinking of beginning a morning routine of Yoga before I start my day. I'm hoping it'll help me with my muscles/joints. Any ideas of any websites? or DVDs?

Replies

• irishdancer23
    irishdancer23 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    bump! i would really like to know!
  • gorgeouss9
    Options
    Hi Irishdncer23,
    So far I've found this website.. it's very educational.. seems like I need to study the poses before I begin.. look on the middle of the screen on the left side to see all the different Yoga poses. I wish there was a video I could follow instead. It takes forever to load the website too.. ugh.

http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yogapractice/cat.asp
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    If you are just getting started, there is a really good dvd, called "Yoga for Wimps". I was able to get it from the library, and they have it on Netflix. They go slow and have someone demonstrating modified versions for the "less nimble" shall we say. They also have Pilates for Wimps and Belly Dance for Wimps.
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    I love doing yoga. I have this DVD, I can't remember the exact name, but I'm pretty sure it's called Yoga for Beginners. It's by starz entertainment and on the front is a woman with a beach background. It's 51 minutes long but it's absolutely amazing.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,013 Member
    Options
    Check out Youtube. Search "yoga for beginners." Good luck.
  • Pdschurig
    Pdschurig Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have alot of yoga dvds. My favs are "stretch into yoga" by Shelly McDonald, part of the caribbean workout series. I also have some videos by Rodney Yee "Power Yoga" and "Yoga for Strength". I had an accident a few years ago and fell down the stairs and had terrible hip and back pain, yoga has been a Godsend! It is great for strenght and flexiblity! It also helped me lose 25#s before I joined MFP in Aug.
  • irishdancer23
    irishdancer23 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! i am mostly looking for stress relief, but if it improves my posture and flexibility, its an added bonus!
  • renubhat_82
    renubhat_82 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I do yoga at home, right now i am doing yoga melt down of Jillian (its bit intense).. However, you have lots of videos on youtube for yoga.. I have been doing from my childhood, but not regularly.. Also, few websites have videos for beginners.. I recommend starting with surya namaskar (sun salutation) first.. Start with say like 4 rounds and then increase it..

http://www.myyogaonline.com/videos/beginner-yoga
    http://yogaindailylife.blogspot.com/

Also, google for yoga and you will get plenty of info in there.. If you need more info, you can message me even.. :-)
  • soozship
    soozship Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love Rodney Yee yoga DVD's! There are so many different videos of varying degrees of difficulty, and length. He is very good at describing the pose, and where you should feel the stretch. He also has a very soothing and comfortable voice. The videos are put out by Gaiam, and I always buy them on Amazon.

Good Luck!
  • olso2255
    Options
    There is a wonderful video on netflix instant streaming called yoga for aches and pains or something like that. Its really relaxed,easy beginner things focusing on shoulder, next, back and joint pain. Almost more deep stretching. It works wonders for my tension, and it would prob be great for your joints,etc.
  • gorgeouss9
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!! :happy:
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    I had a page dedicated to yoga on my blog. Apparently I deleted it. Ooops
    http://www/rainhoward.blogspot.com
    I found the information helpful when looking at yoga for the very same reasons so I tried to put as much as I could in one spot. Be sure to follow the embedded links to the originals. I don't wanna get sued.You can find some wonderful resources on the web. And it does help, as does meditation.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and I've been doing a SLOW slightly modified "sun salutation" yoga routine 4-5 days a week for about 2 years primarily for flexibility, but there's a little strength conditioning in there, too [e.g., the plank!].

I do it first thing in the morning while I'm waiting for my coffee to perk-- takes about 8-9 minutes (holding each pose of the sun salutation for a 6 - 8 breath count) and I can really feel the difference on the days that I don't do it.
  • isherryb
    isherryb Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Here's a great site you might like... http://www.yogatic.com/

She also has a facebook page at... http://www.facebook.com/EkhartYoga
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I never even thought to check netflix! What a great suggestion, I'm going to give it a go - I enjoy yoga but my gym doesn't always offer it at the most convenient times.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Sara Ivanhoe's DVDs are great and there are two YouTube channels to check out - "yogayak" and "yogatic" - I swear by yoga and when I'm hurting from an intense workout I make sure to fit some yoga in to help relax, stretch and soothe my muscles.
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    bump
  • beautifulnovember
    Options
    Love it! I started doing yoga at gym in october of this year, but sometimes I do it at home when I miss it during the day. I go by memory of what we did in class, but if you want to follow along, someone already mentioned youtube. That's an awesome resource.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Check out Sadie Nardini on YouTube. She has yoga for beginners, and even a couple videos for overweight folks :)
  • smagee1973
    smagee1973 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    There are quite a lot of yoga for beginner DVD's out there. Netflix has quite a few. If you have comcast there are some on ONDemand and if you have the veria channel they have pilates and yoga in the mornings. I have Dish Network and it's channel 218. I would recommend starting with the Sun Salutations. These will help you become flexible and learn all the other poses more easily. I do this in the morning and evening. This is how I lost 26 lbs and gained quite a bit of muscle. I love it! I am a lot more flexible then I have ever been and I have a bad knee. :)