Gaining Weight Back

Options
I have been trying to eat healthy for 2 months now. I signed up here 1 month ago and started adding some cardio into my routine. I have health issues and am on many meds, so I have to go easy with the exercising at first. I have stayed under my calories everyday too. At first I lost 2 lbs since I came here, but now I gained the 2 back and I don't know how that is.

Anyway I am writing in case anyone else is going through this. I am still proud of myself because I am eating healthy and walking more and working out more. So I know I am still getting healthy even though I gained the 2lbs back. If your going through this don't give up. I'm not going to. It's just showing me that things take time and it's okay as long as I am still making healthy choices.

Everyone keep up the good work!! I know I am giong to keep on keeping on no matter what the scale says!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• RhondieJFB
    Options
    I have been trying to eat healthy for 2 months now. I signed up here 1 month ago and started adding some cardio into my routine. I have health issues and am on many meds, so I have to go easy with the exercising at first. I have stayed under my calories everyday too. At first I lost 2 lbs since I came here, but now I gained the 2 back and I don't know how that is.

Anyway I am writing in case anyone else is going through this. I am still proud of myself because I am eating healthy and walking more and working out more. So I know I am still getting healthy even though I gained the 2lbs back. If your going through this don't give up. I'm not going to. It's just showing me that things take time and it's okay as long as I am still making healthy choices.

Everyone keep up the good work!! I know I am giong to keep on keeping on no matter what the scale says!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    That's been my problem for a long time. In Jan 2008 I was 8 pounds lighter!. I'm definetly leaner and smaller, but like you, I'm obsessed over the numbers on the scale. And my body fat % has me in the obese range!!!:explode: I have good and bad days, but definely eat healthier. I understand your frustration.:mad: :flowerforyou:
  • mandersen16
    Options
    What an inspiration you are!!!! :flowerforyou: Awesome attitude to have!!! Do you eat your exercise calories when you do work out?
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    the scale sucks Yeah I will say it- Try measuring yourself as well because inches are waaaaay better than lbs anyway- inches is fat loss-

Where as the # on the scale could just be water weight and stuff like that and not actual fat loss

Remember it takes 3500 calories to gain or lose a lb--

Maybe your not exercising enough ( I know you said you have to go easy on exercise talk to your doctor about what you can do)
    Maybe your caloric retriction is too high or too low- MFP is just a guide you may need to tweak it to your own needs (trial and error)

Keep up the good work though- As long as your eating right and working on becoming more active you are doing your body good- so keep it up and stay positive
  • Merv268
    Merv268 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Why do scales do that? Could it be water? I am down 16 pounds since January 2nd and nothing in February yet! My pants feel looser but no size change either. It's hard to stay on track when you know nothin is happening each week when you get on the scale. Well, eat healthy and be healthy and maybe that should be the mindset not the scale.
  • sapphire092170
    Options
    Weight will naturally fluctuate depending on the time of day you weigh yourself, what time of the month it is for us women, water retention ect. I wouldn't worry too much about 2 pounds. Keeping track of your weight is important but don't be discouraged by 2-5 pound fluctuations. It will happen. I've been battling the bulge my entire life. 325 at my heaviest and 168 at my lowest. I can tell you from personal experience that there will be many ups and downs along the way. Take measurements of places like your neck, upper arm, chest, waist, hips, thigh, calf ect and document them. Sometimes when you are discouraged by the scale not moving (keeping in mind the exercise builds muscle and muscle weighs more than fat) that sometimes the scale won't give you results but the tape measure will.
    As hard as it is, try not to focus so much on numbers and realize that you're making healthy changes that will drastically affect the quality of your health over time that should be part of a new healthy lifestyle and know that if you ever revert back to your old habits the weight will climb back on. I let myself go back to my old habits after losing 157 pounds in 11 months and went from 325 down to 168 back up to 299 over a period of 4 years of reverting back to old lazy unhealthy eating and lack of exercise. Now I am here, working hard to make the changes again that got me to where I was fit, and healthy. My weight loss followed a plan very similar to what is offered here and I was so excited to find this site to help me keep my focus again. I wish you the best. Keep your chin up and try to find the positives in everything. Keeping a positive attitude will help you along your way. Negativity only spins you into a cycle of self depricating behaviours and misery...Keep at it...YOU WILL DO IT!
  • RhondieJFB
    Options
    To Everyone.....
    Yes Manderson.. sometimes I eat my workout calories, but not all the time. I would say 1 out of 3 times I do. And sometimes I will work of 300 calories and I might eat 75 of them. I know that's not good to do, but sometimes I am just too hungry, especially when I work out. But I am going to pay attention to that a bit more now that you brought that to my attention. Thank you. Yes... I am trying to be positive about the 2 lb gain. I am trying to think of it in a common sense way. I mean if I am eating well and tyring to work out more than in the past but gained weight.... well I must still be getting healthy slowly.. that's better than giving up all together. Not that I didn't want to when I first saw the scale. But that's why I wrote just in case someone else was having the problem with the same thing. They shouldn't give up either. I want them to know they aren't the only ones it's happening to, that they aren't alone. Thanks for your response.

Hi Sapphire... I am glad you decided to come here. We all get lazy .. ya know. I did too and that's why I am in the perdicument I am in. But it's nice to see you get back on the wagon and love yourself to try. It's never easy. I did measure myself at the begining, so hopefully when I measure myself again.. instead of weight loss... I hope I loose at least an inch around my belly. I will keep up the exercise and maybe I need to do some more cardio.... I will try that too. Thanks for your response too!!

Hi Merve..... It's better that you lost inches.. It is frustating though when we have been wieight at the DR. forever...... so we think that is what is important when I think maybe measurements are just as important. AS long as you lost inches.... you know your on the right track. I am crossing my fingers that I will loose inches too very soon. My pants don't feel any different yet though.

MrSyac.... what do you mean abou the 3,500 calories? Can you explain?? I am really interested in what you have to say. Thanks

Hotmomov4.... I don't know if you look like your profile pic, but you look darn good. I can't believe that the body percentage says your obese. I am sorry about that. I just want you to know you look real good. Add some weight training in if you haven't already,,, and if you have... ask you Dr. what's going on!! Good luck.... You will prevail!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your responses.. I learn so much from all of you.. Your all wonderful!!!!!!! :tongue: