Do you REALLY need it?

Options
nakabi
nakabi Posts: 589 Member
I don't know how many times a day I hear customers complain about not having money to pay for their car insurance, but it is a lot. What frustrates me is that people will complain about something like their car insurance payment (something that they HAVE TO HAVE), and yet I know they have a $300-$500 cellphone, along with a data package. I think to myself "How can you complain about $40/month when you are paying more than that for your data package?" Really, do people really need data packages?
I have what I call, the DumbPhone.lol I can make calls, txt, and take photos. That's it. Why do I need to constantly be connected to people on FB, MFP, email, or whatever else, 24/7?
I find it sad that more and more people think they HAVE to have the newest/coolest/fastest phone.

Any thoughts from you guys???? I'd love to hear WHY you have a phone with a data package?

Replies

• chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i am with you 75% of the way.

the other 25% of me is part dinosaur and would like to state for the record that i don't have a cell phone at all! :noway:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I can't afford that data plan thing, nor can I afford the internet at home I am using to browse MFP right now. But my choice is to buy no new clothes, and pay for internet instead. I am much happier with internet than fashion :)

But yeah, there are TONS of people who have no idea how to budget. The idea of using money on what you NEED first and WANT later is totally foreign to many people. It is an important concept that I wish more folks could take the time to learn.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I wish car insurance was like health insurance and covered repairs and maintenance, rather than like life insurance that only covers death and dismemberment. :tongue:

I don't have a data package, but there's times I wish I did, like to check FB, MFP or use Runkeeper. And play Angry Birds. :blushing:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I have no sympathy for these people. Reminds me of a "roommate" I used to have. I let him slide on rent for 6 months because he "couldn't afford it", yet he could afford to lease a nice car. Lesson learned.
  • 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    Options
    Where I live, I can't get high speed internet. My phone with data package is my only choice for internet unless I want dial up or spotty satellite. Do I have to have it, no. Two years ago I would have agreed about the smart phone thing. now, I wonder how I lived without it. It isn't that I use t as a constant tether to my FB friends or anything like that. The ability to find anything on the internet at any time has saved more than once.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    I have a "smart phone" (I had $150 "credit" for a phone and it's purple)... I don't have a data plan. We don't have a landline... the cost broke about even and the cell phone is more convenient. We can not, however, afford the data plan. If we ever can (i.e. not decide which bill doesn't get paid so we can buy groceries/gas) I will add it in a heartbeat.
  • nakabi
    Options
    Where I live, I can't get high speed internet. My phone with data package is my only choice for internet unless I want dial up or spotty satellite. Do I have to have it, no. Two years ago I would have agreed about the smart phone thing. now, I wonder how I lived without it. It isn't that I use t as a constant tether to my FB friends or anything like that. The ability to find anything on the internet at any time has saved more than once.

I can understand this. In your case I can see why you have it :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I have a basic cell phone with no data, not even texting. Definitely no smart phone or cool apps like MFP. But I have a mortgage paid off. Yes, I'm smug about it.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I use my data plan (which I can luckily afford) for mostly MFP and sports updates but I was life was easier when I didn't have it. So, no, I don't REALLY need it.
  • nakabi
    Options
    I have a basic cell phone with no data, not even texting. Definitely no smart phone or cool apps like MFP. But I have a mortgage paid off. Yes, I'm smug about it.

and you have good reason to be smug :)
    if more people thought like you, this country wouldn't be in in half the mess it is in..and yes, I can say that, even if I'm not from here :) lol
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Of course not, and if I couldn't afford car insurance I wouldn't have a cell phone with a data package, I would have a cheapie pre-paid card in an old phone.
    But, I travel a lot for work and I like to be able to play with emails, MFP, ebooks etc while I'm on the road (not while I'm driving, obviously!)
    Its definitely a luxury, but one that I choose over other things (like new shoes or expensive haircuts for example).
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Because my significant other lives 800 miles away and we like to text a lot.
    Because I like the ability to surf the web at the airport and not have to bring my computer. I just find it convenient.

I don't NEED it but it's made my life a little easier and a lot more fun.
    And I can afford it, easily. I've got car insurance, health insurance, food on the table..
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I have it to send and recieve interesting pictures.
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    What frustrates me more is the person in the check out lane that doesn't have enough money for their groceries. They lay their iPhone down and start pulling out $1 or less items. I've watched one person say they NEEDED the frozen Fridays loaded potato skins and put back raw meat and bread. I see people load up on junk food all the time. Then I look at them and see that they're overweight. That's my motivation :) Sorry if that was a bit of a tangent.

Oh, and personally I have a "dumb phone" too. My mom is graciously paying my cell phone bill still so I'm not going to add a data package. But hopefully for graduation (and when I get a better job) I'll be able to afford a smart phone on my own.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I dont have a phone with a data pacakage - in fact i still cant even send pictures with my current one

My husband and I are considering switching to the Iphone though for several reasons, including the video call options (he works on a boat 2 weeks a month so i cant see him) and since we live in a rural area that loses power every time it rains....when Irene hit this summer we were without power for days, but a friend who was staying with me at the time kept me in touch with the real world since his IPhone was still up and running
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    got me, unlimited data, whole shebang is only $25 a month. It would certainly go away if money got tight though.
    People think 'entertainment' is necessary for survival.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm from a city of 50,000 people (and 8 buses), so when I moved to another city (over 1 million population and about 250 bus routes) a year and a half ago I needed help with the bus system. They have a website to plan your routes and such, so I use it mainly for that. I would literally be lost without it lol
  • anikab
    anikab Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have a smart phone with a data plan. I'm a full-time student, and I can't afford to have an extra bill so I use my data plan to make my phone a Wi-Fi hotspot so I can do all my online homework. And like someone else mentioned, having GPS And being able to look stuff up immediately has saved me on several occasions. And I mean several! so for me, I choose to pay for the data plan because I get more than my money's worth.
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    I have a smart phone with a data plan. I'm a full-time student, and I can't afford to have an extra bill so I use my data plan to make my phone a Wi-Fi hotspot so I can do all my online homework. And like someone else mentioned, having GPS And being able to look stuff up immediately has saved me on several occasions. And I mean several! so for me, I choose to pay for the data plan because I get more than my money's worth.

This! I am a graduate TA and I get TONS of emails from students asking questions. By having my smartphone, I can respond quickly as they go to my phone instead of them waiting for me to be at a computer. I also use the GPS, plus I use it as my music player, I have an app that tracks my runs and then of course games that I play with friends I don't get to see everyday (Words with Friends!!). I don't complain about my bill though because, like OP said, I don't HAVE to have, I just want it.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I have a mobile with a data plan, so does my wife etc, but the difference is we can afford it! It seems a significant number of people lack the ability to deny themselves anything (which also goes for food too I guess). We all need to say no to some things and have our priorities straight, but that's not always the case.

As a wise man once said 'the unfortunate thing about common sense is that it isn't all that common'.