How do i know how much protein, carbs etc to have per day?

Options
I don't know how much of the food groups to eat per day. Help.....

Replies

• indianra
    indianra Posts: 10 Member
    Options
  • ajnov5
    Options
    usually 15-20% protein, 55-65% carbs, no more than 30% fat...if you want to quantify the amount, there are 4 calories per gram of protein, carbs=4, fat=9.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    At the bottom of your food diary it breaks it down for you by carbs, protein and fat. Watch those numbers at the bottom and they tell you how much of each you have eaten and how much you have left. Good luck!:flowerforyou:

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

My favorite post for answers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    We all have slightly different requirements for these nutrients. Some people need to eat more carbs, others more protein. In any case, your fat intake should be 30% or less of your total calorie intake. This is because each gram of fat is worth 9 calories, whereas each gram of protein and carbohydrate are only 4 calories each.

I believe MFP has a default setting of 55% carbs, 30% fat and 15% protein. For me, that's too much carbs and way too little protein, so I changed my percentages by using the custom setting. I personally have 45% carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat. Since I am set at a 1200 calorie daily intake, this translates to 135 grams of carbs, 27 grams of fat, and 105 grams of protein (on days that I don't work out).
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    If you are doing some cardio and strength training (and you want to shed a few pounds of fat), try 40/40/30 (carb/prot/fat). It bumps up the protein a bit and lowers the carb from your 55/30/15 diet. A number of folks on P90X use this ratio with great success.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options

I wondered about the normal allowances when I first started with MFP, so I googled and found the USDA amounts for women.
    sodium: less than 2400 grams
    fat: 65
    cholesterol: 300
    carbs: 300
    fiber: 25
    protein: 50