Difficulty Breathing and Exercise

Options
I know this may seem like a petty issue, but I've been trying to start running along with my nice long walks, just to add a little diversity, and find that I can't really go any longer than 10 minutes when I push myself. My lungs burn and I get to the point where I'm unable to breathe and near vomiting.

What did all of you do to overcome this if you've experienced it? Did you just keep working at your limit until you became comfortable and pushed yourself more?

(p.s. I am sorry if this doesn't belong here but I figured since it was an exercise question, it was fitting)

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Are you running too fast? I found that if I slowed down (and I mean REALLY slow) I could go for much further.
    My goal was to be able to run for increasing distance, I'm not too bothered about speed so starting out very slow worked well for me.

Building up gradually helps too. I did the C25K program (like lots of other people here) which I liked because it gave me structure for my walk/runs.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but with any exercise you need to build up to higher intensities. Most of my running friends used couch to 5K http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • rydin_high17
    Options
    Try to sing or chant while exercising. This will make you breathe and you can listen to how hard you are working. I do this and have just starting to jog and I'm 43 years old with bad legs ankles.

You can get there!! have faith
  • hallo_chief
    hallo_chief Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Rubybelle - I don't really know how fast I'm running but speed might be it. I think I'll try to go a bit slower and see what works for me (:
    rileysowner - I don't know if running is really my thing yet, but it is definitely something I wanted to try out.

Thank you both (:
  • hallo_chief
    Options
    Try to sing or chant while exercising. This will make you breathe and you can listen to how hard you are working. I do this and have just starting to jog and I'm 43 years old with bad legs ankles.

You can get there!! have faith

I've actually heard this before! I thought about it while running today and remembered that I read that you should be able to speak easily and singing should be a bit more difficult when pushing yourself.
    Thanks!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    In that case I would definitely suggest going slower. I was always convinced that I wasn't physically capable of running - but by starting out slow (I mean really, really slow!) I found that I could run further and further and further..... and have quite amazed myself!
    I'm still a pretty slow runner but my pace is definitely picking up now, I know that if I had tried to run fast at first I would have given up in 2 days.
    If you want to try out running, then get a beginners program to guide you. I'm a big fan of C25K but there are also lots of others - Runner's World, Hal Higdon, Running Method, Runkeeper all do them. Google and you'll find lots!
    Good luck!

Edited to add: I love the singing idea! I often count my breaths to keep me on track, especially when I'm tired, but I might try singing for a change. I often count in Spanish or in Auslan to vary things a bit but singing is even more fun :)
  • Navmachine
    Options
    slow down to a jog/trot, and take deep controlled breaths. not only is taking big breaths rather theraputic for the mind, but also lets your lungs get the most absorption of oxygen to feed those growing muscles.

i agree with others to focus on your distance, and not so much time/speed.
  • hallo_chief
    Options
    You guys are all so helpful! I was a little afraid to ask at first but you've all been so nice.

I know deep breathing is great from the many years of choir but for some reason when I run, I tend to forget - I'll try my best to keep deep breathing in mind with my exercises.
  • johnallen12
    johnallen12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You might also check with your doctor into the possibility of exercise induced asthma. This can occur without any previous asthma symptoms. If that's the case, it can be managed.
  • hallo_chief
    Options
    You might also check with your doctor into the possibility of exercise induced asthma. This can occur without any previous asthma symptoms. If that's the case, it can be managed.

Oh, I hope not D: I don't know when I'd be able to see a doctor! I'll definitely keep that in mind while exercising and talk to my mom about it - she's an RN and the closest I've got to a doctor's visit right now.
    Thanks for making me aware of this.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Most likely you're just running too fast. Run at a speed where you can still at least talk in small bursts of words.