For those of who are on Depo Shot

Options
Hey ladies,
In case you don't want to read the long story:
Please make sure you're taking Calcium supplement with Vitamin D because depo shot causes you calcium loss, if you don't your bones/teeth can tremendously deteriorate. 100mg of calcium is 10% of your normal daily needs, on depo shot you need at least increase it by 120-150% so between 1200-1500mg is whats recommended in order to take care of your needs.

Sources: Personal Experience& below:
http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/depo_provera.html
http://healthcenter.ucdavis.edu/topics/contraception/depo.html

Here is my personal experience if you're interested:
So I remember when I first got my depo shot they told me to take multivitamin or calcium&vitamin D supplement; I didn't pay attention to it until 2 years later as I started this journey and decided to become healthy.
I have always had really good strong teeth, when I was younger I would go days without brushing/flossing and never get a cavity (gross I know, that was "young" me). Than as I got lil older I started brushing ,my teeth twice a day and floss and still had healthy cavity-free teeth till this last year.

I went to dentist about year and half ago and I had no cavities, the only thing he said is my wisdom teeth have come in and that I may want to get rid of them because they are hard to take care of. So than I went back 8 months later because I felt this sharp pain and a dip in my wisdom tooth whenever I would touch it with my tongue. When I went to see the doc he said my wisdom teeth were deteriorating and literally chipping and rotting away, luckily the rest of my mouth was okay. It took me 3 months to save some money and find a cheap enough dentist to take them out. So I got them pulled.

Thank 6 months later I came for check-up and my dentist found 4 cavities. I was puzzled as to how my teeth were deteriorating so fast, it wasn't normal. When I went to my dentist she said I must easily prone to cavities, which is strange considering I usually brush my teeth twice a day and floss at least every other day.

This is when I started becoming healthy exercising, dieting and brushing/flossing my teeth religiously, than I was googling the length of depo shot effectiveness, and read a paragraph where it said that you need to consume at least 120-150% of your daily needs of calcium with vitamin D for better absorption or your bones/teeth (anything that needs calcium) will deteriorate. Than everything clicked in mind, I looked at my dairy and my usual calcium consumption was about 10% of what my body needed so now wonder my teeth have been so fragile, depo shot drains your body of calcium so you need to at least take a supplement.

So now I take 1500g. Make sure you take between 1200-1500mg of calcium if you're on depo shot. Also make sure if you take calcium supplement with Vitamin D. Vitamin D helps the body to absorb all the calcium. :)
Wish my doctor stressed it more when I got the shot the importance of taking calcium, I would never had these cavities!

Replies

• leezanicole
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. I have been on the Depo for a few years now. I didn't take the advice about taking more calcium until recently. I figured since I was trying to be healthy and fit that I should take vitamins, so I got my multis and some calcium pills. Sorry you had to go through all that :(
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Also I am pretty sure that you are only recommended to be on depo for a maximum of two years.