Running with tight shoes( toenail falls off) advice

Options
Well i started running a couple months back and i had to stop due to my big toe turning black and hurting , well tonight my toenail fell off but i am unsure what to do at this point , i already cleaned it with peroxcide and water, what else should i put on? , also how long does it take for it to grow back , thanks

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Keep it covered until it starts to heal over, then go get fitted for the right shoes for you.
  • Cookie22684
    Cookie22684 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Thank You
  • sm423
    sm423 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yeah, keep it covered. I read in an article that you are suppose to buy shoes a foot bigger then your normal size because your feet swell when you run. Go to a specialty store cause they are usually really good with finding the right shoe for you.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    belive it or not if you wear correct fitting shoes too you can loose your nails(well the longest toes)!
    This happened to my son he looses his longest toenails(next to big)on both feet when he runs alot...(when he gets pulled off the xbox) lol
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I wear shoes that fit properly but if I run more than ~40 miles per week for a couple of weeks in a row, my second toenail on my left foot often falls off. It's gross but not especially harmful. It hasn't happened in a couple of years but I don't remember doing anything special for it. It takes longer than you want to grow back. You will be so much happier if you get some running shoes that fit right, though!

ETA, to be specific, probably three months or more for the big toenail before it's the same size it used to be. :(
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    belive it or not if you wear correct fitting shoes too you can loose your nails(well the longest toes)!
    This happened to my son he looses his longest toenails(next to big)on both feet when he runs alot...(when he gets pulled off the xbox) lol

my shoes have been professionally fitted but my2nd toenal on my left foot goes black and thickened and bruised after very long runs. I think i must claw my toes when i run because its the other toes that push on it, not the shoes.

I dont know what you can do thogugh. Ive never found anything
  • skpresley20
    skpresley20 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    start running with those special shoes that have separate slots for your toes.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    About the only thing that's going to prevent that, probably, is true barefoot running, but it's not for everyone and you have to work your way up to that with "barefoot" shoes, so you're likely going to have the same problem.
  • monkey555red
    monkey555red Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I get this even with shoes a size larger, you can buy gel toe caps either at boots or off amazon etc that cushion your toe and stop it happening again. It does hurt and doesn't look nice in the summer :-)