porridge how do you eat yours?

Options

Replies

• ellekay22
    ellekay22 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats, because I get heartburn with the other stuff. Leftover baby fruit - he never eats as much as I prepare, so I throw it in my porridge - today was banana/apple/pear. Added some cinnamon and almond milk. I think yesterday was peach. Also very yummy.
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Stewed apple and cinnamon!

Take your favourite type of apple, peel and core it and then chop it into little bits.

Put into the pot that you're going to make your porridge with a little bit of water and cook down slowly with a little bit of brown sugar and a pinch of cinnamon. It should go delightfully soggy.

Add your oats with any additional water/milk you might need - you won't need much! Cook as required

DEEEEEELICIOUS!
    Great in the winter too :)
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    with a generous TBS of canned pumpkin, some cinnamon, a little bit of nutmeg and about a tsp of brown sugar. Mmmm pumpkin pie in a bowl.

I HAVE to try this! Sound so good!!
  • ceejay3101
    ceejay3101 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I add a variety of fruit to mine, tinned peaches or pineapple, banana, pear, they all make it sweeter as well but if you want more sweetness add a tsp of canderel as well, also oats so simple with golden syrup is delicious and not many more calories either, keep on porridging its a slow release food so keeps you fuller for longer x
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am a bit different.

Made with flahavans oats and water in mircowave, salt or smidge of salted butter.
    I like it quite thick and sometimes with 2 slices of smoked bacon on the side ( but only on treat days) other wise i follow it with greek yogurt or fruit but never mix them in the same bowl.
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    1 tbsp of Flax Seed
    little pumpkin spice
    Splenda brown sugar if not already sweetened.
  • eleven40
    Options
    I cook my old fashioned (ie whole oats) oatmeal with water, then top with unsweetened applesauce and lots of cinnamon.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in the microwave . After its done I add butter and 1 tablespoon of cream cheese. I eat it with 2 slices of bacon on the side. Some days I had almond butter , yummy!!
  • shnazzy
    shnazzy Posts: 213
    Options
    I eat mine with water, always have. Some old people like to have it with salt but the very idea gives me the boak. If you go to the shop, they have those sachettes with a million different flavours. I like the golden syrup one. You could try adding honey or berries or for a crunch, crushed digestives. I love porridge, you can have anything with it.

I am clearly one of those old people, but my daughters love it with salt too. I had porridge like this every morning during winter as a kid growing up. It's the traditional way to do it. Oatmeal (not porridge oats), a little salt and water. Cook until ready, adding water as you go if necessary. When ready top with cold milk. Traditionally in Scotland the milk was served separately.

thats the way i used to have it growing up in scotland , nowadays i use oat so simple syrup made with milk
  • peteloafer
    peteloafer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    always make it the same way but jazz it up by what I add after cooking

1 x cup of rolled oats

3 x cups water

half tsp salt

bring to boil and simmer for 5 mins

add a little cold milk (skimmed usually) and any of....

cinnamon, sultanas, dried or fresh banana, dried apple, honey, syrup, jam
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    in my porridge I stir fresh berries
    or one teaspoon cocoa poder
    or some cinnamon
    sometimes I have the cinnamon and chocolate
  • Reiral
    Reiral Posts: 20
    Options
    I enjoy eating white porridge with stiry-fry fish and add a little soya sauce for flavour. My dad eats it with salted fish, salted eggs, sardines. Not sure it seems weird to everyone elses here. Everyone's answer seem very different. Maybe I will try out some other ways of eating too.
  • MarinaPacheco
    MarinaPacheco Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I also make mine with salt and water - but top it with a little knob of butter and splash of milk (cream if I'm feeling very indulgent) and a sprinkling of brown sugar or squirt of agave syrup.
  • Reiral
    Reiral Posts: 20
    Options
    Opps I just realise the porridge you all mean is different from the porridge our culture means. No wonder it looks so different.
  • Jasonhannen
    Options
    I've been easting those Oats so simple packets, mainly apple and blueberry however this site has showed me that they contain a high sugar content.

I'm waiting for my current stash to run down before I move onto plain porridge and add my own natural fruit for sweetness.

Some good tips in this thread on what to add by the way. Thanks.

Good luck with your goals everyone.
  • sputnika
    sputnika Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I add dried apricots and cinnamon and sometimes a mix of ground flaxseed and cocoa.
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    This week I have been stirring a tablespoon of jarred Robertsons Mincemeat into my porridge after it's cooked. Gives it a real Christmassy smell and taste, and much healthier than mince pies!

Other porridge faves of mine:

Cherry Bakewell porridge - add frozen cherries when it's nearly done, at the end add chopped almonds and some almond essence.

Pina Colada porridge - chopped tinned pineapple & dessicated cocnut stirred in.

Apple & raisin - sliced tinned apple, raisins and cinnamon mixed in.

If you have loads of calories to use I love raisins, pecans and brown sugar - that's my absolute favourite porridge!
  • SusiB60
    SusiB60 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    With Agave Nectar and Goji Berries ...yum!