BMI

Options
Today is actually the first time I've ever calculated it, on request of my mum because she feels like I'm getting underweight and bam, the BMI basically proved it. I think. I'm 43.3kgs and about 160-170cm tall so based on that my BMI is anywhere from 15-16.9 which from what it said, is underweight. Now my mum is all freaked out about the whole 'grand children' factor, for obvious reasons. About six-eight weeks ago I weighed in at 50.1kg and I'm 43.3 at the moment which makes my mum really scared for me.
So basically, is there any way I can put on weight in a healthy way?

Replies

• ncw89
    ncw89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I guess if you're working it out on here just add in a couple hundred calories a day on top of what is usual and try to stick to it. If you like fruit have a few more pieces a day for the natural sugars in it. And don't stress over having the occasional treat :) oh, and well done for not letting the weight less take over from health :)
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Work out !! You will add weight in the form of muscle. Go up on your protein intake also. I have gone from a 34w to a 31w in about 4 months, but my weight has only dropped about 1 pound. BMI is not really a good indicator to go by in my opinion. Have your body fat % checked and your LBM (Lean body mass) I think they are much better indicators. According to my BMI I am overweight, but my Mom keeps asking me "Just how skinny do you want to get"...hahaha !!!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    You can set your goals to gain weight on here. Just go into Goals and change goals.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would set your goal to gain 0.5 lbs/week and eat all of those calories, including any you burn from exercise.
  • xdoublerainbow
    xdoublerainbow Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I changed my goal to gain weight every week but I'm kind of slack at tracking food on here so we'll see how that goes :) Before I wasn't eating at the calories that they had set so I don't know how I'm supposed to eat 600 more calories each day which I was averaging about 800-900 a day and that wasn't for lack of eating. We just have a lot of low fat, low sugar, low carb stuff at my house. I actually don't like eating meat apart from chicken, ham and a little bit of mince so I'm gunna get supplements soonish. I actually calculated the LMB and it said that it would be at 78.11 and that my ideal weight would be about 93.98 pounds so I guess I'm right at the right weight for now :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy food. Eat more calories that you expend in a day.