Trying to concieve

Options
Anyone ttc or thinking about it - should I set myself a weight to start ttc do you think? I am so big at 125kg and am tossing up the balance between the biological click and my current health. Obviously I'm not going to be at a healthy BMI for a LONG time. Has anyone ever set themselves a ttc weight?

Thoughts welcome
:)

Replies

• sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of groups you can join to link up with other TTC'rs
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?phrase=ttc&order=0
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I think you should just try and get as healthy as possible. That will help with everything, the trying, the pregnancy and being a mom after all is said and done. Instead of setting a number, perhaps set some health and fitness goals. Start eating like you are already pregnant ( no not ice cream and pickles, as healthy and as clean as possible, lot's of whole foods ; whole grains, veggies, fruit, lean protein, nuts ) And when you feel fitter and healthy, then get atter. :D It's not easy to lose baby weight, especially since the darn things don't give you a moment to yourself. So unless you are over 35, take six months, try and get yourself right and then go into it.

Do you have any specific conditions that make it harder to conceive? I have pcos, and I really only get symptom free under 125lbs. Fat just seems to get in the way of my hormones doing the right thing.
  • SamMorBelsmom
    SamMorBelsmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I was 222 when my husband and I wanted to start a family. It took four months to concieve my son and in that time I dropped to 210. I was 210 at my first ob appointment...the one were they make sure your pregnant. She determined me to be 11 weeks at that appoint so I may have even been lighter when we actually conceived. I don't know if the weight loss helped...all I know is that it will make for a healthier pregnancy.
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I was 197 lbs. when I found out I was pregnant with our first son (took us 8 months to conceive). I gained 32 lbs. during that pregnancy so 229 lbs. at the end. During that pregnancy I developed gestational diabetes and also was put on bed rest because my cervix was dilating early and also developed pre-eclampsia. I lost most of the pregnancy weight through BF but over the next year gained some of it back. I was 215 lbs. when I learned I was pregnant with our second son (not trying to conceive but a pleasant OOPS). I gained 17 lbs. during that pregnancy (232 lbs.~heaviest in my life), again I was put on bed rest and my BP keep skyrocketing so I was considered high risk, I didn't develop the gestational diabetes this go around (Women who have had gestational diabetes have a 60% increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes later-in-life so I have to have my blood sugar checked every 6-12 months), again lost the pregnancy weight with BF but when I noticed it creeping back up I started MFP and hope to continue to a more reasonable weight.

In general, you should gain about 2-4 pounds during your first 3 months of pregnancy and 1 pound a week for the remainder of your pregnancy. If you are already overweight your doctor will suggest less.

If you are already starting out overweight it would be a good idea, in my opinion, to try and develop a light workout plan that you can incorporate into your pregnancy so that you stay active during your pregnancy and start developing healthier eating habits now.

Researchers found that the risk of problems, such as high blood pressure, pre-eclampsia and premature delivery climbed in tandem with a woman's pre-pregnancy weight and I'm living proof. I'm sure that there are millions of women who are overweight who will say that they've been pregnant with no such problems but why run the risk. Take it from someone who has been there (through not 1 but 2 pregnancies) its not pleasant and it weights heavily on your emotionally as well because you worry about the life of your unborn baby.

Good luck in your endeavors!!!