How to beat skinny fat?

Options
I know the most obvious answer is lifting weight. And that's why I've started a (somewhat heavy) lifting routine. I also do some cardio on days I don't lift.

What I don't know is what to do nutrition-wise. I've changed my macros so that I aim for 1g protein per lb. I currently eat 250 calories below maintenance and generally eat most of my exercise calories back. Am i doing the right thing?

The thing is I realised I'm happy with my silhouette. I don't want to lose anymore weight and I'm not sure about inches (maybe 1" here and there but that's all). All I want is to replace the flab (thighs and glutes mostly) with muscle. Which road should I go?

Replies

• hkfleming
    hkfleming Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar position! - I found the "RelativelyLight People Trying to get Leaner" threads to be *incredibly* helpful! After reading and re-reading them, I also found the author's blog on here and read that.

You can search for the Leaner Thread on here, it's great!

This is stroutman's blog post on strength training http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/stroutman81/view/resistance-training-foundation-19725

Good luck! Add me as a friend if you want!
  • hkfleming
    hkfleming Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar position! - I found the "RelativelyLight People Trying to get Leaner" threads to be *incredibly* helpful! After reading and re-reading them, I also found the author's blog on here and read that.

You can search for the "Relatively...Leaner Thread" on here, it's great!

This is stroutman's blog post on strength training http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/stroutman81/view/resistance-training-foundation-19725

Good luck! Add me as a friend if you want!

Edited to clarify thread title
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Depending on your fitness level and your desire, you need to work on the resistance training and include some higher intensity interval training as well.

Some of what you are asking is going to be trial and error. Eating at "250 calories below maintenance" is fine, except that there is no way you can be that precise--either about calorie intake or calorie expenditure. So if you follow that plan and don't see results, it's not necessarily because it's a a bad plan.

Another thing to evaluate is your body fat % and body fat distribution. There is no way to tell if you are "skinny fat" without knowing your body fat percentage. And you may have a body that preferentially stores fat in the hips and thighs no matter what.

Essentially, at this point, you are moving away from being able to rely on general internet information and into the area where you need more personal, individual recommendations. You could consider a personal trainer, or, like I said originally, just try some different things and see what happens.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    If you want to get lean - you've already stated the answers. Lifting heavy and a clean diet.

Yes, 1 gm protein per lb body weight. Now you need to eat lots of lean proteins, healthy fats, veggies, fruits and a few unrefined carbs. Try to get rid of ALL refined carbs and processed foods.

Clean eating will get you to your final goal. the body of your dreams is 80% clean eating, 10% cardio and 10% strength training with the heaviest weights you can lift!

Just be patient. It takes TIME for all of these factors to work in your favor - but stick with it. I'm on this road myself. :)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I am currently escaping the realm of skinny fatness. I have been dropping body fat consistently every week doing 3 days of weight lifting, 6 days of cardio, and eating between my BMR and TDEE regardless of "exercise calories" from MFP's calculations. I eat around 1500 or so calories with a ratio of 45% protein, 35% carbs, 20% fat. This was suggested to me by Tom Venuto's book BUrn the Fat, Feed the Muscle. It appears to be working for me. We all need to find the macro ratio that best fits us, though. As long as you are eating the proper calorie amount, though, you can tweak the macros.
  • Alison__
    Alison__ Posts: 107
    Options
    Bump! (My first bump, lol) I have the same problem, sort of, and I want as much help and tips as possible!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Depending on your fitness level and your desire, you need to work on the resistance training and include some higher intensity interval training as well.

Some of what you are asking is going to be trial and error. Eating at "250 calories below maintenance" is fine, except that there is no way you can be that precise--either about calorie intake or calorie expenditure. So if you follow that plan and don't see results, it's not necessarily because it's a a bad plan.

Another thing to evaluate is your body fat % and body fat distribution. There is no way to tell if you are "skinny fat" without knowing your body fat percentage. And you may have a body that preferentially stores fat in the hips and thighs no matter what.

Essentially, at this point, you are moving away from being able to rely on general internet information and into the area where you need more personal, individual recommendations. You could consider a personal trainer, or, like I said originally, just try some different things and see what happens.

BF scale says I have 28% BF and navy calculation method says 27%. I will follow my current plan and see where I am in 1-2 months! I might be someone who stores fat primarily in legs/butt since my upper body is pretty lean (I'm starting to see muscle definition on my abs). If there's nothing to do to change that, I'm ok with it anyway. As I said, I like my new silhouette! The rest is just fine-tuning! :)
  • asyouseefit
    Options
    If you want to get lean - you've already stated the answers. Lifting heavy and a clean diet.

Yes, 1 gm protein per lb body weight. Now you need to eat lots of lean proteins, healthy fats, veggies, fruits and a few unrefined carbs. Try to get rid of ALL refined carbs and processed foods.

Clean eating will get you to your final goal. the body of your dreams is 80% clean eating, 10% cardio and 10% strength training with the heaviest weights you can lift!

Just be patient. It takes TIME for all of these factors to work in your favor - but stick with it. I'm on this road myself. :)

I'm afraid the cutting ALL refined carbs is not an option. I've been down the road of very restrictive diets and I can't maintain them on the long term. Last time I tried, I ended up fighting bulimia during 3 years so no thanks! I'll do my best and see if I can achieve results that way. Maybe it'll take much longer!
  • december8teen
    Options
    Bump! :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    To beat skinny fat, you need to increase lean muscle mass which means you need to eat at surplus. So if maintenance levels are 1700 calories, you should eating at least 1800+. Or even start by eating at maintenance calories to see if you can increase muscle mass.
  • asyouseefit
    Options
    To beat skinny fat, you need to increase lean muscle mass which means you need to eat at surplus. So if maintenance levels are 1700 calories, you should eating at least 1800+. Or even start by eating at maintenance calories to see if you can increase muscle mass.

In this case, won't I keep the flab on top of newly built muscle?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

In my opinion:

Yes, and you may even gain more.

Skinny fat doesn't have a blanket solution. It's a case-by-case thing where the individual should decide on a path and stick to it. The only things that I believe are true about skinny-fat and how to deal with it:

1) You need to lift heavy.
    2) You need adequate protein intake
    3) Generally speaking, I would suggest that your intake isn't aggressive on either surplus or deficit. If you're new to lifting you may even want to recomp (eat at maintenance) for a few months and re-evaluate.

There are such varying degrees of skinny-fat that I don't think saying "you need to cut" or "you need to bulk" always solve the problem.

IMO: The good news is, if you can just pick one and stick to it for a while, in 3-4 months of heavy lifting you'll be in a better position than you are now and at that point, the decision to cut or bulk will be easier.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    What he said. It's a slow process and you must be patient. It took me a year to cut 3% BF. When you're already at or near a healthy weight, it's more of a struggle to get leaner. Not to say it can't be done, but it's a fine ballet of calories, macros, and exercise. I had to play around with my cals quite a bit to find the "sweet spot" where I lost fat and maintained muscle. Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

not necessarily. As sidesteal stated, you can do recomposition. This is the approach I took and ate 200 calories below my maintenance and was able to maintain lean muscle mass and reduce body fat from 18% to 11.5%. Right now, i am working to get in single digits but with the holidays, it has proven difficult.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Wanna read this later!!!
  • Sookie_182
    Sookie_182 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump... i need ta sort that out too! :tongue:
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    What he said. It's a slow process and you must be patient. It took me a year to cut 3% BF. When you're already at or near a healthy weight, it's more of a struggle to get leaner. Not to say it can't be done, but it's a fine ballet of calories, macros, and exercise. I had to play around with my cals quite a bit to find the "sweet spot" where I lost fat and maintained muscle. Good luck!

Yup, this.

And whatever anyone does, don't do what I did and think, "OMG I so need to lose weight!" cuz then you end up at 101lbs and looking like a 10 year old boy. I went about it completely wrong (for me). I was 125-130....I had a fat jiggly beer gut and thought I had to lose weight. I know it seems weird but I've been eating over 2000 cals a day and I'm losing my gut and putting lbs on where I need em.
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bump