Interval Training - not High Intensity enough?

Options
I've been following a cardio workout for a few weeks now, consisting of

~10 minutes rowing - max resistance, 2Km distance. Average speed around 2m60s/500Km

~2 miles treadmill (9 x 400m laps), intervals of 100m at 6mph, then 200m at 11mph, on a 5% gradient

~10 minutes elliptical trainer level '4' (whatever that is), intervals of 30seconds at 35rpm and 60 seconds of 70+rpm

I can do this two nights in a row (but not three).

My usual training days are Tue, Thu, Sat. Sometimes these move, hence how I know I can do two in a row, but I can't do three in a row.

Anyway, the fact that I can do this twice in a row has prompted my cousin to say that it means it's not intense enough (he works out a lot).

Does anyone agree with this opinion? I feel pretty damn tired after this workout, which normally takes about 50-odd minutes, but I have recovered enough to do the same again next night.

One thing I could do, is perhaps change the treadmill workout to intervals of 100m slow, 300m fast, but I might have to drop to 10mph in the fast parts to do that.

Anyway, pretty new to this cardio workout lark, so I would appreciate opinions.

Gary

Replies

• missballast
    Options
    What you are doing sounds fine, but you might just want to switch it up a bit. Like do a day of running - intervals is fine with a higher work speed and then a rest speed that pushes you just a bit, with maybe some light yoga. Then do your day of three things. Then do a day on the elliptical for a longer period of time with at a higher level, maybe throw in some weight training. Take a day off. Repeat. Your body just gets "used" to specific routines and its good to keep it a little confused.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the other things, but rowing, you either need to do it for longer - I do 20 - 30 mins per time, or take up your split time (though I am not sure what you mean by 2 mins 60, surely that's 3 mins?). I aim for a split (500m time) of below 2 mins 30. And I am a small female.
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Im really new to all this too, however, from the training mags i read, you really only should put a high intesity Speed work (interval training) only once a week. Your body needs time you recover fully, by having a full day of high intesity work outs, this includs long runs etc. apperently is advised to have either a complete day off after interval training or at least a short runn of more than 2 minute a mile slower than your target to allow your muscles to fully repair, flush lactic acid that remains and replace the protiens, these are known as recovry runs. This will actually make you stronger in the end more than doing 2 days in a row, as your muscles have been able to repair and adjust. rather than punishing your muscles again without letting them get to 100%.

as for how many interal in a week you want to do 2 or3 a week should be fine, i do 1 interval, 1 long run, and 1 hill run, with steady steady runs, cycling swimming and complete rest days inbetween every week.

but after High intesity workouts, the day after i would advise a rest day or recovery run. This also highly reduces the risk of injury.

Best of luck on your training
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    What are your goals and how often would you like to work out for?
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    High intenisty should be really high, but to say you shouldn't be able to do multiple nights is kind of absurd. I mean, some professional sports require athletes to compete back to back nights and for the amount they get paid, I'm really hoping they compete at a highly intense level.

You can also look at INSANITY which is a cardio program based on HIIT. You are expected to do the workouts 2 or 3 consecutive days prior to a rest or recovery day. If you feel you can go harder, then go harder. Don't hurt yourself, be sure to stretch, and push. You know your body.

I will say this though, as long as your NET calories put you at a healthy deficit, you will get fit (if you are aiming to loose). If you are trying to compete at something, just push yourself and train hard. Be mentally tough and fight for all the burn you can get w/o injury:)
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? My guess is your cousin is following the old school method of "you can't do the same muscle group two days in a row"? First, this is cardio, it doesn't apply to the same rules. Second, that method was great for people looking specifically for strength and muscle gains. For general fitness and fat loss, you want repetitive consistency to reach your goals. That being said, real HIIT work can really only be done 1 or 2 times a week. But your workouts are considered just interval training as they are posted. HIIT should be maxing your heart rate and VO2 max for very short bursts, like 20-30 seconds, and not something you can come close to sustaining for ten minutes.