Shorter high intensity or long less intense?

Options
So I have eating better and working out for about 10 months now. I have done so many different things for my exercise. I started with the wii, then started doing all kinds of videos from exercisetv.com, and bought ones like Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, Cardio Kickboxing, No more trouble zones and Banish Fat boost Matabolism.

Now I am at a point where I am bored of alot of the videos becuase I have been doing them for so long. I want to go back to the wii for a but and use some of the new games I have like exerbeat, gold's gym cardio, and walk it out. My question is do you think switching to lower intensity workouts will stall my wieght loss? I have been doing them much longer then I would the higher impact ones. For instance I usally aim for 45-60 minutes of videos, so I would do banish fat boost matabolism, or 30 day shred level 2 and 3. Or cardio kickboxing and kickboxing from exercise tv. But insteas of doing 45-60 minutes, I have been doing 1 hour 20 minutes to 2 hours 30 minutes on the wii. I choose to play the boxing and fast pace things on the games too.

So will this stall my weight loss, should I be trying to stick with high impact things?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am all for the shorter and more intense. Look into HIIT, it can be done on any cardio equipment or on a bike or running.
  • jagar07
    jagar07 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    the longer you can workout is better for weightloss. While high intensity is great for all intent and purposes, the longer you can stay at it is vital for fat burn
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    The answer is no fun... You need both. Both have significant positive impact on your health.

6921816.png
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really matter. Do what you enjoy and can stick to, and stay in a calorie deficit.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I agree with this for weight loss. If you are going for athletic training of some sort, I'd be more inclined to say higher intensity shorter workouts, unless you are doing marathons.

Man, you can do whatever you feel like doing though. You don't even have to define it. Just stay active. Maybe switch it up everyday. Keep your body guessing.

There are tons of programs out there, have you tried the beachbody stuff? P90X is 3mos.. that'll keep you occupied for a while.
    Doesn't really matter. Do what you enjoy and can stick to, and stay in a calorie deficit.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    the longer you can workout is better for weightloss. While high intensity is great for all intent and purposes, the longer you can stay at it is vital for fat burn

Not quite, the longer you go the more lean muscle you will lose. Fat loss and weight loss comes from creating a caloric deficit and you can lose as much weight with no cardio as with doing 2 hours, as long as your deficit is the same. diet is 80% of the equation for weight loss. Longer cardio is not better cardio, it is best to have a mix of short high intensity cardio, with some longer cardio days, and some strength training.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options

Not quite, the longer you go the more lean muscle you will lose. Fat loss and weight loss comes from creating a caloric deficit and you can lose as much weight with no cardio as with doing 2 hours, as long as your deficit is the same. diet is 80% of the equation for weight loss. Longer cardio is not better cardio, it is best to have a mix of short high intensity cardio, with some longer cardio days, and some strength training.

I just started doing high intensity intervals this week...burned double the cals in half the time! This is great since after lifting I don't have a lot of time for cardio.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    The answer is no fun... You need both. Both have significant positive impact on your health.

6921816.png

Completely agree! Both have their place in a routine!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    3 times a week in hight intensity is a must
    and the rest whatever you want as long as you don't feel overtrain yourself
    but you should not excise more than 1 hour so you won't lose any muscle mass
    unless it's a low HR workout - walking.