Workouts To Do With a 5yr Old?

Options
Hey all! I'm a fulltime nanny (9.5hrs a day) with an hour commute each way to get there. So I'm short on time, and making a ton of excuses not to workout when I get home. My boss said that I can bring my workout with me, and that her son would probably have fun trying to do it with me. I love this idea to burn some energy off of the hyperactive guy as well.

I currently do Turbo Jam, and I'm not sure if he'd enjoy it? I figure probably the 20min one, because even that is a long time for a kid. (Not that he'd be working out the whole time, he just thinks he needs my attention 24/7, plus I'd be doing this while the 2month old is napping.)

I'm just wondering if anyone has any DVDs they think a 5yr old might have fun trying to immitate, maybe dancing ones? And should I go shorter and try to find the 10 Minute Solution stuff?

Thanks in advance =]

Replies

• luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My five year old (now 6) has always been fond of anything kicking/punching. Like Tae Bo. Of course, nothing I've ever done has held his attention for longer than 10 minutes. We have a Wii and he really likes the Just Dance games. (But that would depend if you had a Wii or gaming system).
  • drift
    drift Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a wii, just dance is great, my daughter loves it, also wii fit plus, especially the obstacle course, the cycling and even the running...otherwise a skipping rope?
  • GabrielMaestas
    GabrielMaestas Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Anything with martial arts, boxing, jumping, stuff like that. I teach a Junior Boxing class in a gym and the little tykes love it...
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I dont have tips, but I was a live-in nanny for a year, and I think this is a great idea, and it' great that the mother is supportive! First off, set your settings to highly active and live up to it by taking every opportunity to stay on your feet. I was a nanny for 3 children aged 1-7. I used to carry the 5 year old around every once in a while and say "thank you for the free muscle workout" and she loved that. I think the Tae Bo idea is a great idea to get a young boy engaged. I remember when the 7 year old boy got into my yoga cards and wanted to try all of them himself- he thought some of them were very fun.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Shuan T has a dvd called fit kids club that might be fun to do with kids
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I have a four year old daughter, and she loves to help me do my "exercising." I just throw down and extra mat and verbally guide her through the pilates moves, pushups, situps, or whatever else I'm doing. I stopped doing videos for the most part, but when i did the free ones from netflix Em loved to try and follow along. Of course, this usually meant I didn't get as much accomplished, but to see her get excited to do exercises with momma is great.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you . I was a nanny for a year and a half last year and I am one this year. Last year they really took to Zumba with me. They loved the dance moves. They also really loved running outside and 5 year olds generally love to walk, so walk yourself slim with Leslie Sansone was a good one too. Anything short and really intense would be fun. But I get the best response when walking outside bc they really enjoy it. we would even race sometimes. Hope that it helped.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I know they have some kid fitness DVDs that you may be able to buy that would be a workout for you and fun for the kid. If you have access to the Wii, kids like the Just Dance games and I believe there's even a kids version of that. My 8-year-old really wants to do the Wii Zumba with me, so I have to go out and buy her a holster belt for it so she can join me.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you . I was a nanny for a year and a half last year and I am one this year. Last year they really took to Zumba with me. They loved the dance moves. They also really loved running outside and 5 year olds generally love to walk, so walk yourself slim with Leslie Sansone was a good one too. Anything short and really intense would be fun. But I get the best response when walking outside bc they really enjoy it. we would even race sometimes. Hope that it helped.
    I just proofread this and realized that first sentence made no sense. Please forgive my igcompetance.
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My 5 year old loves the Walk away the pounds. It's not a real intense workout, but you could add hand weights. She also likes Butt Bible Lower 1 (Fitness on Demand), because when you do the leg lifts you can lay down and look/talk to each other. Fun and Cute!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I spend half my time with my 6 year old niece, we work out together frequently. She loves the Wii fit games(bubble burts, skiing, the flying one etc), and doing yoga. She also really loves doing Zumba, and I have one other one I think by Golds gym that she loves. The other night she was teaching her dad how to do Zumba moves lol.
  • LizzieBee17
    LizzieBee17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would just go back to your youth... the hokey pokey. Just make it more animated. The chicken dance. All that crazy silly stuff we did in PE when we were Elementary School
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    my 6 year old will do just about anything with me, even 30DS. I got him some tiny one pound weights and he just goes to town.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Try your workout with him. He;ll probably just dance around while you workout. But the important thing is that both of you are getting exercise. I take my kids to the gym and we do obsticle course running and jumping.
  • amarneu
    amarneu Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Go to a park and get a workout in on one of the jungle gyms
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    play tag, jump on a trampoline, ride bikes, xbox kinect adventures (it's fun and you get a work out with all the jumping), red light/green light. I bet you get anywhere from 30 sec to 5 minutes tops with any one activity, so you probably want to have a whole bag of tricks ready to go.
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you have a wii fit, there is a new game called Nickelodeon Fit..I just got it for my kids for Christmas. I am so excited to work out with them LOL Of course, I'll have to do another hard workout in order to feel like I've done something..but just to give you an idea.
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Oh also the Wii Dance Party...or find other dvd's that you can dance to with the kids. That is a big workout!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I am hula hooping with a weighted hula hoop. You can make one with supplies from Lowes... The tubing is $20 for 100 ft which will make 8 or 9 hoops. Then Electrical tape was $5 a roll. OR Walmart sells a nice weighted one for $20 that comes apart... you can get the kids cheap ones from Walmart and let them decorate them with colored electrical tape. Hula hooping burns around 100 calories per 10 minutes. The local hooping instructor advises starting with only 10 minutes a day. My BFs daughter is 6 and we are making her one this weekend and she can't wait to decorate it.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    I just pick up my 4 year old and throw her in the air over and over again. It's a great work out, and she loves it.