HELP!.....im always hungry at night after i work out!!

Options

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    have a protein shake! aids in recovery, muscle growing [which means, fat leaving] ...get one that's very low carb, less than 5g of sugar ....or if you like eggs, have like 3 egg whites ..!

Exactly! I love a chocolate protein shake made with almond milk after a late workout! Tastes like a treat but does so much good for your body!
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    1 or 2 Yoplait - Greek 2x Protein Fat Free Yogurt Strawberry, 6 oz container (170 g) does the trick for me...
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Where are the MFP FAQ people?!
  • KiimberlyAnn
    Options
    if ur hungry at night you can drink grapefruit juice (the pink on is better to get down) hope it helps
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    If your body is telling you that it is that hungry it may actually be hungry. Not sure what your workout consist of but maybe have a protein shake after you workout or even a glass of chocolate milk. Your body needs protein after you workout no matter what time of day it is.

^^ this
  • jess3012
    Options
    i always have a protein shake after i exercise, its filling and curbs my sweet cravings!
  • Shaz_74
    Shaz_74 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    A lot of great suggestions so far!
    You could also try splitting your dinner and eating the other half after your workout.
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    snack. :)
  • vlsalvaggio
    Options
    i work out at my gym by running on the treadmill or doing the eliptical for an hour or so, 4 or 5 days a week. i work out between the hours of 6 and 730 pm. and i usually burn on average between 400 and 800 calories depending on what im doing.
  • vlsalvaggio
    Options
    And thank you guys so much for the helpful tips!!! you all are truly amazing!!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evenings too and I usually get very hungry about an hour later. I have a trick that works every time. Food. It's so simple. I just eat it, and voila! Hunger gone.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Egg white omelet. Very low calorie.
  • RedMan33
    Options
    Low Fat or Fat Free Cottage Cheese. Throw some carrots or something in there to give yourself some more substance. Great source of proteins and a nice little treat before bed.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Easy easy easy fix. You just might be dehydrated . Continue to drink, not gulp, water throughout the day and after working out...but this might disrupt your sleep patterns.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    BAM!

"When total calories are kept constant, does eating at night (whether just before bed or in the middle of the night) lead to weight gain?...

A 1997 review article summarizing the results of past research concluded that meal frequency - whether during the day or at night - had no clear effect on body weight. That is, people who chose to eat frequently, regardless of the time of day, had no higher rate of obesity than those who ate fewer large meals.

In a study of more than 2,000 middle-aged men and women, 9% of women and 7.4% of men described 'getting up at night to eat.' Overall, there was no difference in weight gain between those who did and those who did not. A study in 2004 of more than 800 men and women noted that the more people ate in the morning, the less they tended to eat during the course of a day, while people who ate more at night tended to eat more overall. A trial from January 2005 found that eating late at night was not associated with weight gain even among people with 'night eating syndrome'...

It is possible that, for some people, eating at night is associated with weight gain. Perhaps they find it easier to be careful about portion size and food choices during the day but simply 'lose it' at day's end. For some, the structure of three meals a day may make it easier to avoid excessive calorie intake. But it's probably a myth that eating before bed has a unique ability to promote weight gain compared with eating at other times of the day. Although scientific studies someday may prove that calories ingested before bed are handled differently than calories ingested at other times, evidence for this commonly held belief is lacking. For now, it's safe to assume that one's weight reflects the balance between calories burned and calories consumed over time, regardless of when you choose to eat."

InteliHealth: Does Nighttime Noshing Make You Fat?
    http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSI/9273/35323/432544.html?d=dmtHMSContent

"Myth: Eating after 8 p.m. causes weight gain.
    Fact: It does not matter what time of day you eat. It is what and how much you eat and how much physical activity you do during the whole day that determines whether you gain, lose, or maintain your weight. No matter when you eat, your body will store extra calories as fat."

NIDDK (National Institutes of Health): Weight-loss and Nutrition Myths
    http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/myths.htm

"Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper' - is there any truth to this?

[Dietitian Dr Trent Watson] sets the record straight: "It's the total energy you eat throughout the day that's important. You can eat all your daily kilojoules after 6pm, and you won't gain any more weight than if you ate it earlier in the day. Weight gain occurs when you consume more energy than you expend."

The Daily Telegraph: Top 10 food myths busted
    http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20004610-5006047,00.html

"Subjects who eat late in the evening may increase the amount of glucose stored in muscle as glycogen. In humans, muscle glycogen fluctuates in accordance with periods of muscle activity and subsequent carbohydrate consumption. Data suggest that the consumption of carbohydrate-rich foods in the late evening leads to increased glycogen levels in the muscles. Unless this stored glycogen is burned as fuel, it will ultimately be stored as fat. Therefore, consumption of late-evening meals with carbohydrate-rich foods may also be related to obesity through its effect on hormonal regulation of energy and lipid metabolism. However, we found that the interval of time between the last episode of eating and the time to bed was not associated with the risk of obesity. Further investigation is warranted to examine the association of this interval, as well as the nutrient composition (i.e., percentage of calories from carbohydrate) of the last eating episode, with obesity."

American Journal of Epidemiology: Association between Eating Patterns and Obesity in a Free-living US Adult Population
    http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/158/1/85

"The purpose of this study was to determine whether meal ingestion pattern [large morning meals (AM) vs. large evening meals (PM)] affects changes in body weight, body composition or energy utilization during weight loss. Ten women completed a metabolic ward study of 3-wk weight stabilization followed by 12 wk of weight loss with a moderately energy restricted diet [mean energy intake ± SD = 107 ± 6 kJ/(kg·d)] and regular exercise. The weight loss phase was divided into two 6-wk periods. During period 1, 70% of daily energy intake was taken as two meals in the AM (n = 4) or in the PM (n = 6). Subjects crossed over to the alternate meal time in period 2. Both weight loss and fat-free mass loss were greater with the AM than the PM meal pattern: 3.90 ± 0.19 vs. 3.27 ± 0.26 kg/6 wk, P < 0.05, and 1.28 ± 0.14 vs. 0.25 ± 0.16 kg/6 wk, P < 0.001, respectively. Change in fat mass and loss of body energy were affected by order of meal pattern ingestion. The PM pattern resulted in greater loss of fat mass in period 1 (P < 0.01) but not in period 2. Likewise, resting mid-afternoon fat oxidation rate was higher with the PM pattern in period 1 (P < 0.05) but not in period 2, corresponding with the fat mass changes. To conclude, ingestion of larger AM meals resulted in slightly greater weight loss, but ingestion of larger PM meals resulted in better maintenance of fat-free mass. Thus, incorporation of larger PM meals in a weight loss regimen may be important in minimizing the loss of fat-free mass."

The Journal of Nutrition: Weight Loss is Greater with Consumption of Large Morning Meals and Fat-Free Mass Is Preserved with Large Evening Meals in Women on a Controlled Weight Reduction Regimen
    http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/127/1/75

So it appears that for most of us there's nothing wrong with eating at night, as long as the entire day's calorie count is appropriate. However, there may be health risks associated with nighttime eating for people who have GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) and/or asthma.

"Compared to nonasthmatics, asthmatics have significantly more frequent and more severe day and night GER symptoms and significantly more of the pulmonary symptoms (nocturnal suffocation, cough, or wheezing) so often attributed to GER. The habit of eating before bedtime appears in asthmatics to have serious and life-threatening consequences."

American Journal of Gastroenterology: Asthmatics have more nocturnal gasping and reflux symptoms than nonasthmatics, and they are related to bedtime eating.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=15128338&query_hl=6&itool=pubmed_docsum
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, eat.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    It's your body going into starvation mode. Quick eat something.
  • chai_latte
    chai_latte Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    All this may have already been mentioned, but from experience I always get hungry late into the night after a vigorous workout..

Protein shake, low fat low sodium cottage cheese with hot sauce/cinnamon/couple of mixed nuts/raisins, half a bag popcorn, low fat yogurt with spinach smoothie, an apple with 1 tblspoon almond butter, small bowl of Kellogs Special K cereal with skim milk

hope that helps :) good luck!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories? If not, you should be. Your body just burned all of that fuel, it needs to be replaced. And eating at night does not cause weight gain. Your body doesn't know what time it is.