I am having a hard time giving up soda

Options
sab0834
sab0834 Posts: 56 Member
giving up soda is the worst part of changing the way I eat/drink. I found this article though and I think that it will help me change the way I look at soda. http://www.nutritionresearchcenter.org/healthnews/what-happens-to-your-body-if-you-drink-a-coke-right-now/

Replies

• dvankuiken
    dvankuiken Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The best thing I did was to quit cold turkey. It totally stunk because I drank at least 2 cans a day. I just love the taste of it - the bubbles, the flavor, the caffeine...mmm. It was really hard the first few days and as lame as it sounds, I drank water and imagined I was tasting coke. It is like the flavor is imprinted in my brain.

However, despite being so delicious, it's something that is definitely not healthy for you. Different things work for different people, but I would recommend finding something new. Perhaps carbonated water (if your into the carbonated drinks) or SAMS club/Walmart sells these flavored carbonated liter bottles (used to be called Free and Clear, now I think they are American something...not sure). They are better than soda - even diet.

When I gave up, I drank water like a fish. 10 plus cups a day. Then I started adding honey to my water - definitely helps boost your immune system, can't go wrong with the sweetness.

I wish there was something that is comparable to soda, but the truth is - there's nothing like an ice cold coke. Sorry I just went on a rant - but that is my 2 cents. :happy:
  • startrekkermd
    startrekkermd Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yep - this is def a huge road block for me. I've gone from 2-3 a day to 2-3 a week. But I'm dreading stopping completely :(
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Perhaps carbonated water (if your into the carbonated drinks) or SAMS club/Walmart sells these flavored carbonated liter bottles (used to be called Free and Clear, now I think they are American something...not sure). They are better than soda - even diet.

Just wanted to add my thumbs up to the carbonated water thing. I gave up soda years ago (I loved me some Ginger Ale!), and I started out by drinking those Free and Clear things by the bottle. Black cherry I think. :) You definitely can't tell they're low calorie, and they're really fizzy. :) Eventually I switched from them to flavored water, and then to regular water. The carbonated water was a great stepping stone!
  • Tierra1983
    Options
    I was actually able to kick the habit by doing a cleanse. Just be sure to find a safe and healthy cleanse.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I have never given up soda, and I never will. I just drank a coke yesterday. With real corn syrup in it.

But I did decrease the amount that I consume. Instead of drinking one daily, I drink one now and then as a treat.

I find that mentality a little easier than thinking I must give up something I enjoy.

I do drink diet soda on a semi-regular bases. 3 to 5 times a week.
  • alikat_56
    Options
    I wish I could give it up. I drink diet soda. No extra sugar but the artificial stuff is not good for me either! I just love the boost from the caffeine.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Cutting my soda intake was super hard for me! I used to be totally addicted to the stuff, and then just stopped cold-turkey and that's when I realized the addiction. I didn't drink one drop of the stuff for two straight months, and then I finally let myself have some and it didn't taste as great as I remembered. Now I can have it sometimes, but I don't need to drink it all the time. I usually just steal a few sips from my bf and I'm good.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm soda-free since September 28. :)http://kguac.com/2011/09/lets-break-soda-addictions-together/

I've tried several times, and this time was the easiest - what worked for me was to go cold-turkey, and go out of my way to make sure that exciting alternatives to soda were available - not necessarily healthy even, just not soda. I stocked Naked smoothies, coconut water, juice, lemonade and tea - and when I went out to eat with someone who was having a soda, I always had a lemonade or tea so that I didn't feel deprived.

I didn't try to limit cost or be healthy at the same time - I just isolated the soda addiction. Then, after getting over the addiction, it was a LOT easier to start drinking more water instead of junky stuff. I still make sure to have something fun whenever I'm feeling deprived - lemonade or soda - though that happens a lot less frequently now. I don't really want soda anymore. Though I'm not going to have a single soda anyway, just to be safe that the addiction doesn't come back. ;)

You can do it!! Good luck!! :)
  • Bigaug
    Bigaug Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm with Rebekah on the whole never give it up. My brother, a certified Coke nut, gave up soda altogether. He swears by that Mio water enhancer stuff.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I can relate!
    I was addicted to Coke! (The dark fizzy drink not the white powdery stuff!)
    I could knock back a 2L bottle a day! Add in potato chips, dip, McD's and here in Quebec: Poutine! I was slowly killing myself!
    Of it all, kicking the pop habit was the hardest.
    I missed it most during the hot summer months. To get by I started drinking plain soda water with a squirt of lemon or lime juice. This was a great refresher on hot humid days.
    Now I might drink a small diet drink once every 2 weeks or so. Usually only when I am behind schedule and on the road where my only option is some form of fast food. At McD's I now eat a single grilled chicken wrap with hot sauce and a small diet coke. Down from my old routine of 2x Big Mac trios 2 - 3 times per week!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I can relate!
    I was addicted to Coke! (The dark fizzy drink not the white powdery stuff!)
    I could knock back a 2L bottle a day! Add in potato chips, dip, McD's and here in Quebec: Poutine! I was slowly killing myself!
    Of it all, kicking the pop habit was the hardest.
    I missed it most during the hot summer months. To get by I started drinking plain soda water with a squirt of lemon or lime juice. This was a great refresher on hot humid days.
    Now I might drink a small diet drink once every 2 weeks or so. Usually only when I am behind schedule and on the road where my only option is some form of fast food. At McD's I now eat a single grilled chicken wrap with hot sauce and a small diet coke. Down from my old routine of 2x Big Mac trios 2 - 3 times per week!
  • tnvolsfan74
    tnvolsfan74 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Giving up sodas was one of the hardest things for me as well. I love me some Mt. Dew and used to have at least one every day. I quit cold turkey, which was not easy, but I am glad I did. Like another post said, I do allow myself to have one occassionally as a treat (maybe 1 - 2 a month) because when I feel completely deprived of everything - it makes me want to quit. I want to be healthy and fit, but I also want to be happy. For me, total deprivation does not equal happiness. I replaced my soda with flavored water and Crystal Light. It has worked so far and I don't crave sodas any more (and my skin is much healthier too!).
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My Virus software gave me this when I tried to go to that link?

Warning: Dangerous Site

Whoa!
    Are you sure you want to go there?
    http://www.nutritionresearchcenter.org/healthnews/... may be risky to visit.

Why were you redirected to this page?

When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors.
  • KimDoberman
    Options
    I had to give up soda/pop for about 6 weeks and it drove me crazy. I was willing to give up all and any food in exchange for a Coke Zero! Now, I am able to drink it. I think as with anything, if you partake in moderation you should be fine. To give up something you love so much could work against you. In my case, moderation...moderation...moderation. So now I only have about 1-2 cans a week.

I only drink it when I really want it more than anything. I can't believe how long it lasts in the house! So maybe setting a limit on how much you drink will work for you instead of giving it up all together. Funny thing was, after those 6 weeks were passed and I drank some Coke Zero, it didn't taste as great as it used to. That I am sure has helped in me drinking so little of it every week. But, if I had to drink Crystal Light for one more day I was going to lose my mind. I drink mainly water now and then have that 1-2 cans a week of Coke Zero.
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    i like low sodium club soda with different kinds of flavouring syrup or fruit juice. not as many calls at all. i also like pc 100% sparkling juice. sooo yummy!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 3 a day. I wish I could say I lost 20lbs when I stopped but I didn't. I don't understand because that cut nearly 500 excess calories out of my diet that I did not replace :/

I have maybe one a week or every two weeks now. I now drink water and unsweet or lightly sweetened tea.
  • dvankuiken
    dvankuiken Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I haven't had poutine in years! my ex introduced it to me - it should be called a delicious death!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    The bottled carbonated water where the nutritional information has 0's down the label and no sodium whatsoever are my LIFESAVER!

When I dropped soda cold-turkey about 15 years ago, I dropped a good 25-30lbs!!!!!!!!! When the doctors would ask me how the heck I managed to drop that much weight back then, I told them the truth - I had such a soda addiciton, I wasnt even aware how bad it was for me....

I get as many bottles as I can - keep the 2-liters in the fridge, a couple of the smaller 1-liters in the freezer for a bubbly-slushie-super-brain-freeze treat - OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY GAWD its so good, refreshing... and so tasty with fresh lemon and lime added to the already lemon-lime flavor!!!!

Now, if I am accidently served a Sprite instead of my 'soda water', my teeth, mouth and stomach all lurch with disgust because its too damn sweet and Im about ready to be sick because of the sugary overload in that one sip!
  • sparklyball
    sparklyball Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i am also in the process of cutting out soda, i used to drink 2-3-4 a day, over the months i started diluting it with water and weening off. last week i cut down to 1 500ml bottle a day, drinking it straight in the morning because it was the buzz and the bubbles that i craved.i think we all pretty much agree it's an addiction and large consumption takes a health toll, not just unnecessary calories.

on the plus after a week of being on 1 a day i felt ready today to cut down to the smaller bottle, 380ml. my plan is to hold until after the holidays then go cold turkey. you are not alone
  • Lanna74
    Lanna74 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice on here. Giving up diet soda is something I haven't done yet. It's my vice - my coffee. I just refuse to do it!:smile: