Saggy skin, stretch marks, and all the things no one talks a

Options

Replies

• Riara11
    Riara11 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    People have mentioned losing weight slowly but also moisturising is crucial. Everytime you shower make sure you moisturise all over this really helps keep stretchmarks at bay or at the very least stops them getting worse
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Saggy skin on my stomach (only visible when I bend down) and my underarms, and stretch marks galore and I'm only 17.

I was very much there at your age as well. Lose the weight now and your chances for your body to recover are much higher! Either way, saggy and not obese beats obese any day!
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options

I have lost 136 lbs and has four kids, my skin is saggy and I could not care any less, it still beats being morbidly obese.

*high five!*
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have some loose skin on my lower tummy and inner thighs, and some stretch marks, but they aren't that noticeable and I would much rather be scarred and saggy (but FIT!) than obese and unhealthy.
    wow.jpg
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    IT'S ALL IN HOW YOU LOOK AT IT. I HAVE A LOT OF EXCESS SKIN THAT I AM HAVING REMOVED IN A FEW MONTHS BUT IT'S BECAUSE I LOST A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF WEIGHT. I HAVE PICS ON MY PROFILE WHERE YOU CAN SEE IT. EITHER WAY, A MINIMAL AMOUNT OF EXTRA SKIN ISN'T SOMETHING YOU SHOULD DROP $10,000 ON TO GET REMOVED. WHEN I HAD DROPPED 100 POUNDS MY SKIN WAS BEGINNING TO SAG AND I WORRIED ABOUT WHAT I WOULD LOOK LIKE IF I KEPT GOING. THE TRUTH IS, IT'S NOT WORTH STOPPING. START LIFTING WEIGHTS, DO PILATES, STAY HYDRATED, MOISTURIZE AND FOCUS ON THE HEALTHY CHANGES GOING ON IN YOUR BODY. I'VE DROPPED OVER 230 POUNDS AND MY BODY REALLY ISN'T THAT TERRIBLE WHEN YOU TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE NUMBER. I CREDIT IT TO THE WEIGHTS AND PILATES WITHOUT A DOUBT. THEY HELPED PULL UP MY SKIN, TIGHTEN MUSCLE GROUPS AND SHAPE MY BODY THE WAY IT IS NOW. SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE, PLUS.... IT MAY JUST BE ME, BUT I FEEL LIKE MY BODY SHIFTED EVER 30-40 POUNDS I LOST. AREAS WOUDL SHIFT. IT WAS STRANGE BUT COOL TO SEE :)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I have lost 89 lbs and have saggy skin on my stomach , inner thighs and under arms. But it is getting better, I am just going to keep moisturing, eating right, drinking water and strength training . But I still look better then i did and when I was obese I had saggy skin and stretch marks it just looked different. i much rather be healthy and have a little saggy skin then be obese and not be able to go bike riding or to the waterpark and other things with my kids.....
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I have saggy skin on my stomach, my arms, and my inner thighs. It's going away more from pilates, etc--but I've read it takes two years AFTER you finish losing weight for it to "snap back" into where it's going to settle.

I also wear lotion every day. I lost at a slow rate--averages to be 5 pounds a month for the last year and half.
  • Soulpaint
    Soulpaint Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have some loose skin on my lower tummy and inner thighs, and some stretch marks, but they aren't that noticeable and I would much rather be scarred and saggy (but FIT!) than obese and unhealthy.
    wow.jpg

Wow, you look STUNNING! So happy for you...you've done great!
  • Usually, saggy skin only happens in extremely obese people and stretch marks only occur in people who lose alot of weight VERY quickly (the unhealthy way).
  • I have saggy skin on my stomach, my arms, and my inner thighs. It's going away more from pilates, etc--but I've read it takes two years AFTER you finish losing weight for it to "snap back" into where it's going to settle.

I also wear lotion every day. I lost at a slow rate--averages to be 5 pounds a month for the last year and half.

The 2 year snap back is actually fairly accurate!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    How your skin reacts all depends on your genetics, how long you were overweight/obese, if your weight has yo-yo'd a lot, etc. I'm not happy about my saggy belly and arms right now but, as others have said, I'm much more proud of them than I was of my body when I was almost 80 pounds heavier, that's for DAMN sure!!

Up until a few months ago, I'd been overweight/obese for my entire adult life (nearly 20 years) so I can't expect my body to magically firm up because I want it to. I know the 2 year rule...it won't be pleasant at times but I'll have to keep reminding myself to be patient and that being fit with a bit of flab is WAY better than being obese and unhealthy.

For those of you who are slathering on the lotions, remember that the body also hydrates from the inside out so be sure to drink plenty of water and don't skimp on those healthy fats!
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Is anyone willing to share pics of their bellies, post 2 year "snap back"? I'm really curious because my bell haaaangs and It has since i was really young..like 12, maybe before.
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Usually, saggy skin only happens in extremely obese people and stretch marks only occur in people who lose alot of weight VERY quickly (the unhealthy way).
    Or when you have a baby. Just saying.
  • lelliebugh
    lelliebugh Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 9 and weight 292. I know I am going to have skin and stretch marks. Luckily when I reach goal weight and maintain for 3 months if I decide to have surgery I am blessed to have parents who have agreed to pay for it. I have been overweight all my life and partially it is my parents fault. Trust me I know I am the one with the control or lack there of actually when it comes to food. But the new wardrobe, the surgery, its all a bribe to help me do this. They show their love in ways such as that. I am so glad to hear that I may not have to opt for surgery. Thanks for this topic. You all are inspiring to me. I am doing this for me and my future.
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I've noticed my stretch marks are fading, but I do have really saggy skin. I'm afraid it will never go away for me :(
  • Nteeter
    Nteeter Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Im on my way to losing at least 100lbs so this is good info. To bad I hate moisturizers, make me feel slimey or waxy and I dont wanna smell like a coconut either :) Who knows once Im skinnier maybe I will care more about my looks and "moisturize".
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight my whole life, and got to 325lbs. Im currently 232lbs (so 93lbs total lost). I have another 60 to go. . Im 5m10" tall.

I have excess skin..something that I feared, but something that I've come to realize, id rather fit into normal clothes, do activites I want to do, not be limited, than to be this 300+ lb person that is miserable..yea the skin sucks, and hoping it will shrink up..but im prepared for the fact that it might not.

They say that it can take a couple years after all ur weight loss to finish tightening. In the mean time, to try to help ur skin along, u can drink as much water as u can (half ur body weight in ounces of water a day, or a bit more), you can do strength excercises, use vitamin e, c, a lotions, and try to eat as healthy as possible so ur body gets plenty of nurishing vitamins that help with skin..

Im starting to see what id call wrinkely skin on the tops of my boobs when I lay certain ways, I notice this same wrinkley effect at the very top of my inner thighs, directly under my breasts on my abdomen area (still breast area kinda), on the fronts of my upper arms where my arm meets torso, and straight down the middle of my lower stomach under my belly button. And then other than that I have the loose skin everywhere except my face/neck/lower legs/lower arms. I have very little stretch marks, but notice them on the tops of my shoulders which if I tan a bit they don't stick out as much and then directly on my mid-side near the lovehandles, but not very bad in either location. But..even though it looks as if I probably will be left with alot of skin, im not letting it worry me..I will like it better than the weiht I was..I may not beable to ever wear a bikini, but that was never my goal anyway..

Also age plays a factor in the tighening of skin...if ur younger then u have higher chances of success, if ur alot older then gravity is already against u (but doesn't mean it definetely wont happen)..I've heard its in genetics too. I, by the way, am 26, so im not a lucky young person..yet..
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I heard that people usually only get saggy skin when they drastically lose their weight. I'm guessing if your losing it slowly your body can react with it and not have that happen.

I've lost slowly. 81lbs in 9months, eating all my allotted calories/eating back excercise calories, haven't tried to rush anything..and I have alot of excess skin...
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I've lost juuuuuust about 150 pounds in about 10 months. I always had a LOT of stretch marks so they don't really bother me any more now than they always did. They're not really that noticeable, except for a few on my shoulders (!!) and boobs.

The sagginess is kind of bumming me out a little bit. It isn't even terribly bad, but it's there. Especially around the ol' underarms, arms and thighs. I am doing what I can to keep it minimal and hoping that given time. considering I'm young, it'll tighten up. If it doesn't it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    from my heaviest weight i've lost 100.. but my most recent weight lost venture i've lost 70. i'm not noticing my skin shrinking really andi'm getting super worried about it. i know that lifting weights will help a lot so i need to start focusing on that.

i'm scared that i'll have a lot of skin left and i really don't want to have surgery for it..