I'm bored with the gym

Options
(No, I'm not using this as an excuse to not go to the gym and be lazy so it would be great to not get smart alec comments telling me to just go anyway.)

I've become bored with my normal routine and have been dreading going to the gym this entire week (I usually enjoy going to the gym, I've just been in a funk the past week), so I'd like some ideas on ways to switch it up.

I typically like to get in about 3 or 4 sessions of cardio and then add a couple sessions of 30-minute-ish strength training sessions during the week and one 30-minute boot camp workout. My usual cardio is the elliptical, sometimes walking on the treadmill with an incline, sometimes jogging for about 10-minute intervals, sometimes the stair machine - but I'm kinda bored with them all.

I forced myself to get up at 4:15am this morning to head to the gym, so I'm not using my being bored with the gym as an excuse to not go, but I'm not enjoying the gym time this past week and I want to WANT to exercise... make sense?

I'm not a huge fan of home exercises because I don't have a lot of room in front of the t.v. but I'm not opposed to trying out some new stuff. My gym has a little bit of everything: typical cardio machines, lots of strength training machines, free weights, and classes but most of the classes don't work great with my schedule. I love stuff that gets my heart rate up and makes me sweat!

Any idea on some new exercises that I could try that are fun or ways to just switch it up?

Do you have a routine list of exercises that I could take a look at?

Replies

• H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I used Turbulence Training by Craig Ballantyne. He has a bunch of programs that you can purchase to give you something different to do at the gym.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Great advice - I'll try some new running intervals and check out Craig Ballantyne. Thanks!
  • SweetChilly
    SweetChilly Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been playing around with routines on here. I'm loving it so far!

http://gainfitness.com/

You can adjust the routines based on what you have at home and based on what is available at the gym. You can also adjust the routine based on your own preferences. I'm loving so far! Oh right I already said that haha
  • Nova_Lotus
    Options
    Jump in and take a class maybe a spinning or other cardio blast class. do a Different class every time you go in then go back to your routine and see if you are still bored. Its really all about keeping your workouts fresh and exciting to keep you motivated
    :smile:
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options

You can adjust the routines based on what you have at home and based on what is available at the gym. You can also adjust the routine based on your own preferences. I'm loving so far! Oh right I already said that haha

That it's only available for iphone and not for android made me frown.. but then I created a quick workout and OMG it's awesome! I'm already in love with this and can't wait to create some routines for both gym and home.

This is awesome!
  • SweetChilly
    SweetChilly Posts: 51 Member
    Options

That it's only available for iphone and not for android made me frown.. but then I created a quick workout and OMG it's awesome! I'm already in love with this and can't wait to create some routines for both gym and home.

This is awesome!

I don't have a smart phone but I am looking for one. I use this from my home computer. I think it is great! Good to know what smart phones use it tho.