To work out or not to work out?

Options
Quick Question. If you have a cold, would you work out or not? The neck up neck down rule states that it is okay if the symptomps are mainly neck up (i.e. running nose, headache etc) but to be careful when it's neck down (i.e. chesty cough) .

Replies

• AmandaJoi25
    Options
    I always workout when Im sick I think it helps me recover faster.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You have to be the judge on that. I would not go if I had a fever. If you feel like you can do it, start out slow and just keep assessing how you feel. If at anytime you feel light-headed or nauseus then stop.
  • jlchow
    jlchow Posts: 40
    Options
    It's really up to you I suppose.

Personally, if I'm sick and I really want to exercise I'll stay at home and do it instead of going to the gym. No one needs to get sick because of me :P
  • chai_latte
    chai_latte Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I would recommend not working out, a day or two is not going to cause a drastic change on your weight if you eat right.

So eat healthy, drink lots of fluids and rest for a day or two and then get right back at it!!!
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm a big proponent of not going to the gym if you're sick. No one wants to share those germs with you.

However, you're working out at home, it really depends on what you feel you can do. I've had head colds and been fine working out at home. I've had head colds where I could barely do anything. I personally don't think you should push yourself if you don't have energy.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I am normally having head colds but this one is a nasty little one with chesty cough... :S
    I have some energy to start with but tire ot very fast and I tend to have a slight temperature in the morning and in the evening.
    I have decided, as I have just lectured one of my staff for being at work when sick (work in social care and she had to listen to a lecture about how she easily will spread all the germs beween all the people we support) I'd be a bit of a hypocrit if I share my lergies with people at the gym. So I will wrap up nicely tomorrow and go on a nice long walk in the forrest.... :S (but I kinda miss the gym work out)