Tips for managing soda intake

Options

Drink water instead - make it a habit!
Allan Borushek, dietitian offers these helpful tips for managing soda consumption:

Check labels carefully for high-fructose corn syrup levels and only drink fruit juices and other flavored drinks in moderate amounts.

Treat soda as a “party food” to be drunk occasionally, not on an everyday basis in place of water.

Soda fountains that allow unlimited quantities of soda to be consumed can contribute calories equivalent to eating a whole meal, particularly when cup sizes are extra large. Children need to be supervised by parents to prevent excessive consumption.

Don't be tempted to “super size” or “up size” fast-food meals – the savings in dollars can mean double the calories!

Buy small-sized cans, cups or bottles of soda or fruit juice, not large sizes. The larger the bottle size, the more that is drunk at one time.

Choose diet soda or plain water as a drink.

Encourage your school to review any existing policy that allows vending machines for soda (and high-fat snacks) to be installed.

Promote good dental health by avoiding soda and sugary drinks where possible. When you do have one of these drinks, drink it through a straw to minimize the impact on your teeth.

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Drink water instead - make it a habit!
    Allan Borushek, dietitian offers these helpful tips for managing soda consumption:

Check labels carefully for high-fructose corn syrup levels and only drink fruit juices and other flavored drinks in moderate amounts.

Treat soda as a “party food” to be drunk occasionally, not on an everyday basis in place of water.

Soda fountains that allow unlimited quantities of soda to be consumed can contribute calories equivalent to eating a whole meal, particularly when cup sizes are extra large. Children need to be supervised by parents to prevent excessive consumption.

Don't be tempted to “super size” or “up size” fast-food meals – the savings in dollars can mean double the calories!

Buy small-sized cans, cups or bottles of soda or fruit juice, not large sizes. The larger the bottle size, the more that is drunk at one time.

Choose diet soda or plain water as a drink.

Encourage your school to review any existing policy that allows vending machines for soda (and high-fat snacks) to be installed.

Promote good dental health by avoiding soda and sugary drinks where possible. When you do have one of these drinks, drink it through a straw to minimize the impact on your teeth.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :drinker: In case everyone wasn't up at 5am:blushing:
  • inkedcelticcross
    inkedcelticcross Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have pretty much removed sodas from my diet except as the mixer for my infrequent alcohol comsumption but my dieting wife will not give up her Diet Dr. Pepper! She's dropped from a whole 2 liter a day down to one every other day, but still will not give it up.

Any suggestions to help motivate and encourage her?
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I have pretty much removed sodas from my diet except as the mixer for my infrequent alcohol comsumption but my dieting wife will not give up her Diet Dr. Pepper! She's dropped from a whole 2 liter a day down to one every other day, but still will not give it up.

Any suggestions to help motivate and encourage her?
    Well I say first off KUDOs to you for giving it up...:happy:

I also say KUDOS to her for dropping her intake way back. I think it's something we all have to do as individuals, when we realize that maybe it's not as healthy as water or decaf teas etc.

Not sure we can influence others except in our behaviour...perhaps celebrate the decrease she's done.:happy:

Seems many folks on this site (oh an of course off of MFP as well) have a tough time completely giving it up, some have an occasional one and that's everyone's choice.

The reason I quit is more for the fake sugar reasons and the side effect I found I was getting from them, and studies I've read on how going the fake sugar route can create additonal carb cravings (sugars) for some.

Is she a member on here?:happy: Perhaps you could share some articles with her? I know sometimes that can go the other way at times.:ohwell: But other times it can be incrediblly helpful and simple be something another person didn't realize might not be the healthiest.

Glad you've both cut back though...good for you:drinker: :bigsmile:

FC:heart:
  • inkedcelticcross
    inkedcelticcross Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    She is a member on MFP, she actually brought me along for the ride.

The reduction she has made is actually very impressive.

I do not think giving it up completely is a current goal, so I will just celebrate her sucess this far and continue to praise her.

If she decides to add removal as a goal, I will try to encourage and motivate.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Mountain Dew was like liquid crack to me. I had to ween myself off then stopped drinking it all together for a couple of months. Now I can make 20oz last for a week.