Going over in protein?

Options
I seem to go over my daily goals in protein often. I just really like tuna, salmon, and chicken in my diet. Is this bad? Can too much protein be bad? I am trying to lose weight.

Replies

• TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lcoreo5
    lcoreo5 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i was told its not a big deal by my personal trainer. she also said that she thinks the protein goals on MFP are on the low side. i always go over too and have lost 57 pounds in 6 months, so i think its working out alright. ;) good luck!!
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I go over daily...from what I understand (hopefully not incorrect) about 1g per pound of body weight is good.
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and it is good for me to go over on protein, especially if the protein goal on MFP is set on the lower side of good. It doesn't bother me.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I changed my goals yesterday on MFP because I want my intake to be more protein than what they suggest, and lower in fat and carbs.....i woudlnt think its bad to go over a bit and it sounds ike you're eating healthy stuff to do so
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I eat approx between 100 to 150 g of protein a day.....I have also heard .7 to 1 g per lb of body weight....it has helped me a lot to have an increase in my protein.....good luck!
  • Kalani2012
    Options
    I adjusted the amount of protein I eat per day. Opinions seem to vary on how much you need. There a lot of articles if you do a google search for "how much protein per day"

Here's a link to the first result: http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm

It has you convert your body weight to kilo grams. Divide weight in pounds by 2.2 and multiple by a number between 0.8-1.8 depending on how hard you work out. (I'm sure if you look at enough links you'll find different recommendations..