Heart Rate Monitor suggestions

Options
anyone know of a good heart rate monitor/ calorie counter? thanks! I want a durable dependable one. nothing fancy.

Replies

• Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i have a Polar FT4...it's AWeSOME!!!!
  • joeykat16
    joeykat16 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump-- I'm curious as well!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    put in the search box. There are a gazillion threads on this subject.
  • 8BaughDad
    8BaughDad Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have the MIO Quest, its a little expensive but has everything I wanted.
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and love it.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft7 for women and I love it!
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I got the FT7 today... nice looking watch - I'll see how it compares to MFP for my calories...
  • tinastanley
    tinastanley Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 Female Fitness
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4, works great, purchased from Amazon.
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question... It happens to be what I asked Santa for for Christmas.
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Bumping for more replies. I see a lot of mentions of the Polar FT4 and the FT40. I want a more accurate count of my exercise calorie burn.

I have the Garmin 305, but that calculates outdoor calories.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 is better if you do a lot of interval training - can store 99 workouts... the FT40 and above allow you to include VO2 max which will help with calorie counting accuracy but the FT4/FT7 are good enough IMO... I found out I was burning 40% more than what MFP was calculating on my FT7
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    bump - i asked for a heart rate monitor for christmas!
  • pereztech930
    pereztech930 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Polar FT7. Love mine.
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 is awesome.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 & love it as well.
  • holli_walker
    holli_walker Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4 and love it! Works great and very dependable!
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Polar FT60. Accurate calorie count plus it's a training coach.

It can assess your fitness (VO2 max) based on resting heart rate and heart rate variability, as well as height, weight, gender, and activity level. The calorie count is based on this info, so it is much more accurate than a treadmill.

It will design a workout program for you based on your goals (anywhere from weight loss to run a marathon), tell you how long and how often to work out in each of three heart-rate zones, and tell you when you need to take it easy or take a break from training. It stores 100 workouts on the watch and infinite workouts on the website (watch syncs with site). It gives you weekly feedback on your progress and recommendations. It awards digital trophies for meeting goals for the week.

It can even tell when you may not be feeling your best (getting sick or fatigued) and will scale down the heart rate ranges accordingly.

I've been reliably losing 2-3 lbs per week since I started using MFP and the FT60.

If you do strength training, the FT80 is an even better choice.

Rich
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I should add that it also tells how much of your calorie burn was fat (as opposed to carbs). Higher intensity workouts burn more carbs for fuel, lower intensity burns more fat.

HRM's are still only estimates, but much better/personalized estimates than a standard chart or a treadmill computer.

I find by following the guidance from the watch, I am less likely to overexert myself and overstress my knees, etc. so I get in more workouts, feel better, and burn more calories. My brain sometimes forgets I am now in my 40's. Occasionally, my joints give me a gentle reminder.
  • nheilweil
    nheilweil Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you run or workout with an iPhone or iPod, check out the "Wahoo Run/Gym Pack for iPhone".

It has a small device that plugs into the bottom of your iPhone and communicates with the Wahoo Fitness soft heart rate belt (included). You can then use Wahoo's app or countless others, such as RunKeeper, to monitor your heart rate on your device.

It's very cool!