Exercise causes hunger pangs!

Options
A month ago, I was going to the gym and working out at their Fitness Frenzy aerobics classes every day, med-high intensity, 5x a week and was not seeing very much progress. I quit going to the gym, focuses on eating clean, and started walking 30 mins a day 4 to 5xs a week and started seeing really good weight loss. (about 1.5 - 2lbs a week even on Thanksgiving week!)

Today, I went back to the Fitness Frenzy class and I think I know why I wasn't seeing much weight loss... I'm STARVING!! I have been resisting the urge to graze all day long. I want to go to the classes because I am worried about losing muscle and, well, lets be honest... I need to tone up, but any tips on curbing appetite?

And before you say it, I know I am suppose to eat more after a big workout, but I don't think I want to eat as much as my body is craving!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What are you eating before you go? I mean the whole day, not just right before.
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Me too! I am interested in the feedback!
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    If you are starving, you probably should eat more on days you exercise. Also drink a lot of water. Sometimes thirst feels like hunger. But if you feel like you're starving, your body needs more fuel and is trying to tell you so. :)
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Diary is opened, feel free to have a look.
  • goddesshanna
    goddesshanna Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Whenever I start a new workout I get ferociously hungry too. You've got to look for foods that are good calorie wise but also give you more of a satisfied feeling. I usually buy a whole bag of apples and hide anything I have that is chocolate.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    Hunger is normal after a good workout. And eating after is good too since having the right macros will encourage muscle retention and help in the rebuilding process.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Diary is opened, feel free to have a look.

What I have noticed is that you are trying to eat 1200 calories per day, and on days that you exercise you aren't eating all of your exercise calories back, one day even eating less than 1200 calories with an 800+ calorie burn on the same day.

I also noticed that you're trying to do Weight Watchers AND calorie counting. While it's possible, it makes your life more complicated because you have to count two different ways, plus Weight Watchers will only let you take so many exercise calories per day (at least they used to, I haven't used the new PP system but I don't think that they've changed it.

After a longer workout, I recommend a protein smoothie or something similar. It will help with recovery and also keep you fuller for longer.
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    The last couple days, I've been so hungry even right after i eat. I think it's just your body trying to make up for all the calories it's burning.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    What time of day do you workout? Can you get in one of your meals shortly after your workout?

My schedule used to require me to eat breakfast, head partially to work, go for my run, shower at the gym and go to work. And I'd be starving about an hour after I got to work.

With my new job, I'm able to eat something small, like a banana, go for my run, then shower and have breakfast after my workout at home before heading to work. I also throw some peanut butter into my typical oatmeal which keeps me full even longer than just the eating after my workout did.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    If you're having hunger pangs you should eat. It is that simple.
  • durhamity
    Options
    What time of day do you workout? Can you get in one of your meals shortly after your workout?

I'm a stay at home mom, so I pretty much have all day to eat, lol. I do think that maybe a protein shake may help, and will probably start adding that on days I go to the gym.

As far as weight watchers, I really just like going to the meetings. I calculate points most days out of curiosity but usually if I am within my calories, I am pretty close to my points too.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    And before you say it, I know I am suppose to eat more after a big workout, but I don't think I want to eat as much as my body is craving!

Why not? If your body is craving it then you need it.
  • durhamity
    Options

Why not? If your body is craving it then you need it.

Because when I did this a month ago I was not seeing much success on the scales. So I am thinking that I am eating too much. I've heard that diet is 80% of weight loss, with exercise and genetics being the other 20%
  • rochey1098
    Options
    Strength training builds muscle. Building muscle isn't cheap. Hunger is pretty normal in my eyes