Dear Random Guy at the Gym,

Options
jen2607
jen2607 Posts: 148 Member
Thank you so much for blatantly laughing at me when I used my inhaler and when I coughed because it wasn't working. I used to think I was being paranoid... I typically hide to use it... but now I see it's a legitimate reason to be self-conscious. I was born this way, but I chose not to let it hold me back. I may have even od'd on it, I've got the shakes, but at least I can breathe now. Contrary to popular belief, breathing easily despite the weather does not come naturally to everyone. For some, it takes dedication to build a tolerance.

Sincerely,

Girl who gave you an evil look. :angry:

Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for blatantly laughing at me when I used my inhaler and when I coughed because it wasn't working. I used to think I was being paranoid... I typically hide to use it... but now I see it's a legitimate reason to be self-conscious. I was born this way, but I chose not to let it hold me back. I may have even od'd on it, I've got the shakes, but at least I can breathe now. Contrary to popular belief, breathing easily despite the weather does not come naturally to everyone. For some, it takes dedication to build a tolerance.

Sincerely,

Never mind the evil look; you should have given him a kick where it would have hurt. :noway:
  • sandhillcrane
    Options
    The guy doesn't deserve the time of day! I have always felt funny about using my inhaler in public too! :glasses:
  • gymshoe42
    gymshoe42 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    While I don't carry an inhaler with me anymore, I've been there and you just have to learn not to give a *kitten* what other people think. You're there for you, you use an inhaler for you. What some random guy thinks ...well, do you really care what he thinks? Probably not. So try not letting some a-hole get you upset. It's not easy to do this, but the more you try, the more you will succeed and the more free you will feel! :)
  • jen2607
    Options
    Haha, Thanks for the response. I didn't really let it get to me... I just thought it was ridiculous. I've never been much of a runner, but I've been trying to push myself lately ... just have to do it intervally so I can run for a longer period of time. Maybe that guy will trip on the treadmill next time he laughs at someone.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Haha, Thanks for the response. I didn't really let it get to me... I just thought it was ridiculous. I've never been much of a runner, but I've been trying to push myself lately ... just have to do it intervally so I can run for a longer period of time. Maybe that guy will trip on the treadmill next time he laughs at someone.
    Bring a camera with you to the gym in future so if he is there and falls on the threadmill, put the footage up on youtube so lots of people can laugh at him. :smile:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

Sincerely,

Never mind the evil look; you should have given him a kick where it would have hurt. :noway:

Yeah! And burn down his house! That'll show him!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Some people are ****s. I like that, though, because I get to feel like I'm better than they are, and that's good for my self-esteem.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    One time someone lol'd at me because they saw I used to keep my inhaler in the cup holder of the treadmill. It was hurtful.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    lol... offer him a sniff next time and tell him how awesomely *kitten* kicking it is to see all those sprakling fairies working it hard in the gym....
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    He's an idiot. Don't give him or his stupidity another thought! Btw, you ROCK for not letting breathing problems hold you back. You're awesome!
  • Twister19
    Twister19 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Some people! Hahaha whenever someone laughs at me while I use mine I usually give them a dirty look and say something alongs the lines of, "I'm sorry, I should just let my lungs close up and pass out right here. Does that sound better to you?"
    They usually look embarrassed and walk away ;)
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I used to think I was being paranoid... I typically hide to use it... but now I see it's a legitimate reason to be self-conscious.
    I suspect you might have felt self-conscious about it already, or this incident wouldn't have bothered you enough start a thread. That's fine, but might be something you should own. Random people shouldn't dictate what you are self-conscious about.

More important: You are at the gym getting stronger, healthier. That's more than the majority of people on the planet can say. You are doing good things, making good decisions, improving your body, likely improving your life. Focus on that.
  • jen2607
    Options
    lol. Like water off a duck's back.
  • AnthonyScalco
    Options
    Tbh, **** him. Just keep goin hard', don't let other people get in your way.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I suppose he laughs at prosthetic limbs, wheelchairs, crutches, canes, people on portable oxygen, folks with hearing aids, and any other sort of device that brings quality of life to millions of people on a daily basis. What a scum.
  • jen2607
    Options
    I wish MFP had a "like" button. :)
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    What a jerk.

I saw a woman on the treadmill the other day who was running circles around me, and she had to stop and take a puff of her inhaler. To me, it was humbling! Here was a woman pushing her body to its limits, while I was slacking off on my workout, what excuse did I have?

It really made me up my game!