beginner 30 day shred?

Options
does anyone know how well the jillian michaels 30 shred is for beginners?? I havent worked out in a while and i am not sure how the dvd is for beginners??

Replies

• uzmaqazi
    Options
    hi

i did it for the 1st time today...i could do it for 14 minutes

will do it tomorrow and build my stamina day by day

gud luck
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have a question about this...all that is available on On Demand is something called 30 Day Shred 2. I wasn't sure if it was just another version or if it was a stepped program and I needed to start with 1. That being said, anyone familiar...can I just start with #2? I really don't want to buy something if I don't have to...
  • peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    There are 3 levels in the 30 Day Shred- 1, 2, and 3. Each has different moves in the circuit. You are supposed to start at Level 1 and as you can tolerate it, move up to level 3. :-)
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I guess I'll come up off a buck and go buy level 1.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I hadn't worked out in 6+ months before I re-joined the site and started over this month. I did my first night of 30DS yesterday and while it majorly kicked my butt, I made it through. I'm super sore today though, so we'll see how well I can do tonight...
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I got mine on half.com for less than $5.
  • Amayrial
    Amayrial Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yesterday wasn't too day for day one. Today I feel muscles I forgot I had and well, day two was more difficult. We'll see how day three goes.
  • StoutGirl09
    StoutGirl09 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just started it, today is my 5th day and I hadn't worked out in months! I have a blog about each day on my site so your free to look! She kicks your butt alright! I'm so sore!
  • sbb4406
    Options
    I think it would be fine for a beginner, you'd just have to modify the moves a little and build up your stamina before moving on to the next level.

And I definitely wouldn't recommend starting at level 2 lol, that's supposed to be the most difficult one.
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Try it i am doing it and it kicks my butt
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    The first time I did it, I weighed 234 lbs and hadn't worked out in 6 years. That's not an exaggeration either. I made it through 12 minutes (of the modified moves) and thought I was gonna puke. I kept at it though and now I can do 2 levels in a day, sticking to the harder versions of the moves. It's tough but worth it.
  • lawmama_
    lawmama_ Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a circuit similar to the JM30DS and when I started Level 1 at home a few days ago, let me tell you, it really rivaled my 3-day per week gym circuit. In some respects it was harder than my one-hour gym circuit because there are no breaks in her video for water or rest. Do as much as Level 1 as you can, and then move on to Levels 2 and 3 when you can handle Level 1 without feeling like you're dying lol.

The first day I did the JM30DS, my arms were sore the next morning, but everything else was fine. But that's because I am used to doing all kinds of squat and ab exercises as part of my normal gym routine. If you are not used to doing squats, then rest assured your butt, thighs and abs WILL be in pain the next morning.

But don't get discouraged! Drink a TON of water the next day and continue with the video. You will be just fine and you will definitely see results if you are also tracking calories and reducing your sodium intake, like she says to do in her book.
  • ronniekh
    Options
    It's tough but I love it!!!
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good beginner workout, especially if you just modify the moves until you are strong enough to fully do them. A word of warning, though... her stretching portion at the end is NOT long enough, in my opinion! The first time I did the shred I was SO SORE afterward! So I did it again, but I stretched myself out really well afterward (I did the thing where you lay on your back and cross one leg over the other and then gently pull the lower leg up? That one REALLY helped a lot. I also did cobra pose from Yoga to stretch out my belly and chest muscles.) and I noticed a HUGE difference. I COMPLETELY recommend doing the Shred, I have had fantastic results that I am so happy with, but I definitely spend way more time on the cool down portion than she does. :)
  • mamagrubbs
    Options
    i love it just to get a quick workout in and i'm advanced i like the level 2 and 3, she is coming out with another one next week i preordered its suppose to be harder and longer i cant wait!
  • hazysmama
    hazysmama Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I hadn't worked out for 4 years...I started the Shred and loved it. Completed it and moved on to Ripped in 30. Finished that and loved it. I am now flip flopping between Yoga meltdown and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. Give it a go! Great place to start.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    For a beginner, DEFINITELY start with Level 1, use small weights (1 lb or 3 lb) at first and then move up when you are ready. It may be HARD but you will see and feel results fairly quickly especially if you are not fit already. It kicked my butt on day 1. I probably really pushed myself TOO hard that first day b/c I was hurting to bad to do it again for 3 days. But once I got started again (3 days after that first time) it was already easier - and I didn't have to take breaks for pain again. It will wear you completely out in the beginning, but it's really cool when you realize that it's starting to get easier. But Level 2 is a BEAST compared to Level 1 - the moves are more complicated and more demanding. Definitely start with Level 1 as a beginner and get really comfortable with that one before you move up to Level 2. And keep at it. Even if you need to take a break here and there, that's fine, listen to your body and don't injure yourself but always start back as soon as you feel up to it.
  • mbmorse1011
    mbmorse1011 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the above, I'm on day 25....... with a 3 week break for a bad cold.... and I am now able to successfully complete level 1 (on the easy girl) with no problems. Level 2, another whole story! I hate the plank and I'm either doing it wrong or my arms are just not strong enough yet. level 3 looks easier but wow do I sweat through that one.

If you are a beginner start with level 1, 3lb weights and do as much as you can. At first I had to put down the weights sometimes and just do the movements, but keep moving! I hated jumping jacks at the begging as well. I have no issues with them now. Sometimes now I switch it up doing moves from level 2 or 3 instead of from 1. Work into it because it is hard, no joke!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You'll def feel the burn. I did it after only working out once a week for awhile and it kicked my butt but it was doable, you might just try going through it the first time without weights and see how it goes
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you have ANY problems with your knees already, be really conscious of your limitations during the workout and do NOT be afraid to modify moves that might bother your knees. There are a few things that I either don't do for very long or that I substitute something else entirely while they're doing it. Jumping jacks don't bother me personally, not sure why but they are fine for my knees, but the moves that you have jumping straight up and down (jumprope in level 1 and level 2, and the twisting jumping move in level 2, and another one in level 2 where you're in plank position but jumping if that makes sense, can't remember what it's called but I can't do it with the full range of motion, I have to do a smaller jump and not move my knees in as much) get to my knees REALLY fast. I do them for as long as I can and when I start to feel it in my joints I switch to something with less impact, but never stop moving.