weightlifting after gallbladder removal

Options
I've heard it takes 4-6 weeks, but anyone with first hand experience could give me any insight.

Replies

• peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    They typically ask you to wait until a re-check after surgery that is scheduled 2-4 weeks after the surgery itself. Generally speaking, after surgery it is recommended not lift more than a gallon of milk's weight for 3-4 weeks. I know this because I had my gallbladder out earlier this year and I am an intensive care nurse :-)
  • peachprl
    Options
    Also- they may go easier on your restrictions of the procedure is done via laproscope rather than with one big incision!
  • pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I had a laproscopic removal in 2003. I had a newborn baby and kind of had to lift him up once in a while, lol. My recovery took a while, I pulled open some internal stitching and he only weighed 6 pounds!

So basically I think you need to really take it easy. You dont realise how much you use your abdominal muscles until you go through something like that and every movement makes it obvious just how much you really do use them.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    i had mine out last summer and I had to wait 4 weeks before working out at all. I had laproscopic. Make sure to check with your doctor, you do NOT want to inhibit your recovery!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I dont care what the docs claimed - took me 6 damn weeks before I was even walking like a normal person!
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Why does it seem like more people are having it removed these days...i'm beginning to wonder about my own.
  • poulosmc1
    Options
    Recommendations are 4-6 weeks for weight lifting after surgery. This is what I tell my patients when I give them preoperative instructions.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Back when I had mine out exercising was not on my mind but I can tell you that I had the minimal invasive surgery and I did not move for over a week off my couch!!! That gas they fill you up with about killed me! Why cant they deflate you??? lol
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Back when I had mine out exercising was not on my mind but I can tell you that I had the minimal invasive surgery and I did not move for over a week off my couch!!! That gas they fill you up with about killed me! Why cant they deflate you??? lol

That's exactly how I felt after mine too!
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I dont care what the docs claimed - took me 6 damn weeks before I was even walking like a normal person!

oh me too, I had a hard recovery and it was only keyhole surgery.
    Everyone else seemed to not have the problems I had so nice to hear someone else took a while.
  • peachprl
    Options
    I agree, a big part of the issue people have is the pain from the gas used to inflate the abdomen during surgery- but the key to getting that to go away is walking. The more you stay idle and in bed/on the couch, the longer it persists! I remember walking being agony the first couple of days!

Also to answer the question about gallbladders being removed frequently- a lot of people have issues with them due to birth control pills and rapid weight loss!
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I've had mine out too, and it was awful! Take your time before you weight lift and let your body heal!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    It will be a while before you are back to pre surgery lifting weight. Once your doctor clears you for lifting, build up SLOW! Don't just jump back in at heavy weights, start with the 5 lb and work up over time. They have to heal, give it a good 3-6 months if you are lifting heavy now.

When I had mine out I worked a job where I lifted and carried 20 - 60 pound boxes all day.