Fitbit --VS-- Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I am looking at getting something to track my cal. burned... I don't know which one is better... Fitbit or Heart Rate Monitor... Any info. that anyone has on this would be helpful...

Thank you...

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,226 Member
    Options
    The problem is these are two quite different things. Fit-bit is an all day calorie estimator which you wear the whole day (and night) which uses an accelerometer to measure how much you are moving and from that estimate calories burned. Due to that fact there are exercise types fit-bit will not record well such as cycling.

A HRM is not designed for full day use, but ONLY for use during periods of exercise. To estimate calories you must have one with a chest strap. It takes that information it gathers about your heart rate and the information on you height, weight, sex, and with the better ones VO2 Max, and calculates your calories based on that. It is not very good a calculating calories at lower heart rates, nor does it work for weight lifting.
  • Klein1475
    Klein1475 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about either one so Thank you so much for the info...
  • xhellokittycatx
    Options
    I had both. I actually love my fitbit. I found it by accident one day at BestBuy while looking for a cd. It tracks your steps, calories, miles and sleep pattern. I have the older one. I got mine last year but now I believe they have different colors. There online program is free and the web tool is really nice!