Vegetarian recipes - let's share!

Options
kae12
kae12 Posts: 25 Member
Hello, I know there are quite a few vegetarians/vegans here on MFP and I thought it would be great to have a place where we could share some of our tried-and-true veggie recipes. Here's one of my favorites:

Tofu "Egg Fried" Rice -- This is vegan, easy, and delicious! I just ran it through the fabulouso CalorieCount recipe calculator and was pleased to see it's only 339 for 1 cup - definitely less than traditional fried rice!! Here's the link with the instructions and nutritional info:

http://caloriecount.about.com/tofu-egg-fried-rice-recipe-r187505

Enjoy!

Anyone else have one to share? (Please remember: vegetarians don't eat chicken or fish; feel free to share those recipes on a different thread - thanks!!) :smile: ) :flowerforyou: :heart:

Replies

• kae12
    Options
    Hello, I know there are quite a few vegetarians/vegans here on MFP and I thought it would be great to have a place where we could share some of our tried-and-true veggie recipes. Here's one of my favorites:

Tofu "Egg Fried" Rice -- This is vegan, easy, and delicious! I just ran it through the fabulouso CalorieCount recipe calculator and was pleased to see it's only 339 for 1 cup - definitely less than traditional fried rice!! Here's the link with the instructions and nutritional info:

http://caloriecount.about.com/tofu-egg-fried-rice-recipe-r187505

Enjoy!

Anyone else have one to share? (Please remember: vegetarians don't eat chicken or fish; feel free to share those recipes on a different thread - thanks!!) :smile: ) :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    If you go to the Whole Foods website, there are quite a few good ones.
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/index.php

I liked the Cranberry Apple Quinoa (it's served in acorn squash, but I didn't think that was necessary):
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipeId=565
  • kae12
    Options
    Oooh, the acorn squash one sounds fantastic! Will have to remember that at Thanksgiving. Thank you!

I'm off to work now -- will check the other links and posts later.

Ciao!
  • sisterrigby
    sisterrigby Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I make this one for my vegetarian friends & they always love it!

2 cans carrots
    2 cans peas (I use cans because they make for mushier veggies)
    1 can mushrooms
    2 eggs (optional)
    curry, black pepper, other spicy spices to taste (I dump a lot in!)

Take the 5 cans & drain them. Then dump the veggies into a pot and cook over medium heat. Take a hand held masher (or a spoon if you don't have one) and mash the veggies into a mush. Add eggs one by one if desired. Add spices. Continue to mash to desired consistancy.

There's also a recipe for bread that you eat with this, but we've just been using whole wheat tortillas. Basically you rip small pieces of the tortillas and use it to scoop up your mush. Its tasty! And you can eat a whole lot for a little calories!

If you want the bread recipe here it is:
    2 parts flour to 1 part oatmeal.
    water to make stiff dough, you don't want it to be sticky!
    take about a golf ball size and roll it out till its round & flat, like a tortilla.
    cook in a med. frying pan... NO butter or oil! Just dry. You'll want to heat each side till the edges curl up.
    After the first one is cooked, butter each side (here's where it gets calorie heavy) and place on plate. Each additional one only needs the top buttered. The butter helps it continue to cook.

:)
  • ldsupergirl
    Options
    The point it to have lots of veggies very little pasta and sauce. It was very good restaurant taste with out 800 calories.

Grilled veggies Marinara

3 Portabella Mushroom caps sliced
    1/2 Zuccini sliced
    1/4 green bell pepper
    1/4 red bell pepper
    1/4 red onion
    or any other veggies you prefer.
    oregano to taste
    basil to taste
    1 jar Cascone's Marinara Sauce(also add oregano and basil)
    2/3 cup dry rotini pasta cooked per package directions

Cook pasta
    Warm sauce with oregano and basil to taste
    Grill or sautee veggies with 1tsp olive oil just till tender. Add oregano and basil to taste.
    Layer pasta and veggies and sauce on plate and enjoy.

6-8 servings.
    325 calories
  • kae12
    Options
    Mmmmmmm - grilled veggies... that's making me seriously long for summer.

Thanks, everyone! Keep 'em coming!
  • FitnessGeek
    Options
    My favorite dish by far and at 53 calories and 1g fat per cup of soup, you can't get better!
    In fact, I had this for dinner last night. (Homemade- Sweet and Sour Shrimp Soup Canh Chua Tom )

This recipe is pescestarian, but I have tried the vegan version without shrimp and replacing the fish sauce with soy sauce; it is still very delicious.

Sweet and Sour Shrimp Soup

adapted from Nicole Routhier's The Foods of Vietnam

2 ounces of lump tamarind (tamarind can be hard to find. replace with grated, fresh ginger if you can't purchase tamarind at your regular grocery store)

1/2 cup boiling water

6 medium shrimp shelled and cut in half

2 garlic cloves, chopped

1/4 cup, plus 1 teaspoon nuoc mam (Vietnamese fish sauce)

Freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 shallots, thinly sliced

1 stalks fresh lemongrass, white bulb crushed and cut into three 2-inch sections

1 large ripe tomato, cored, seeded and cut into wedges

1 tablespoons sugar

1 cup canned pineapple (canned in juice not syrup, drained)

1 celery heart, the pale inner section, ribs only, sliced very thin

2 fresh chili peppers, minced

1/2 cup fresh bean sprouts (optional)

1 scallion, thinly sliced

2 tablespoons shredded mint or cilantro leaves

1. Soak the tamarind in the boiling water for 15 minutes or until the tamarind is soft. Using the back of a spoon, press the tamarind through a fine sieve into a small bowl.

2. Toss the shrimp with 1 teaspoon of fish sauce, chopped garlic, and pepper. Let stand for 30 minutes.

3. Heat the oil in a 3 quart sauté pan. Add the shallots and lemon grass and sauté briefly without browning. Add the tomato and sugar and cook over medium heat until slightly soft. Add the pineapple and celery and cook stirring for about two minutes.

4. Add 5 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add the sieved tamarind, salt, and the remaining 1/4 cup fish sauce. Turn heat down, and simmer gently for about 5 minutes. Stir in the chiles and bean sprouts if using them and the shrimp. Cook for about 30 seconds, than remove from the heat and allow to sit for about 30 seconds to 1 minute more, or until the shrimp is cooked through. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp here.

5. Add scallions and/or mint or cilantro and serve.

Purported to make 4 to 6 servings but if it's all you're having for dinner, it's enough for two people. My boyfriend and I usually split the whole pot. It's too good to waste and doesn't save well in the fridge. It's best fresh!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to try this, but the sodium is so darn high. :noway: Looks good though:

Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers~

Serves: 6 Prep: 30min|Cook: 3hr 30min |Total: 4hr 0min

6 large sweet peppers
    2 cup(s) cooked brown rice
    3 small tomatoes, diced
    1 cup(s) frozen corn
    1 small sweet onion, diced
    1/3 cup(s) red beans, rinsed and drained
    1/3 cup(s) black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 cup(s) cubed monterey jack cheese
    1 can/jar(s) 4.25 oz chopped black olives
    4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon(s) salt
    1 teaspoon(s) black pepper
    3/4 cup(s) meatless spaghetti sauce
    1/2 cup(s) water
    4 tablespoon(s) parmesan cheese, divided
    Alternate
    You can opt to use only 1 type of bean instead of a mix. You can also add chopped tofu to the filling.
    Directions
    1. Cut the tops off peppers , remove seeds and set aside. 2. In a large bowl, combine the rice, tomatoes, corn, onion and beans. 3. Stir in the Monterey Jack cheese, olives, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. 4. Spoon this mixture into the hollow pepper shells. 5. Combine spaghetti sauce and water; pour half into a 5 quart slow-cooker. 6. Add the stuffed peppers and top with remaining sauce. 7. Sprinkle on 2 tbs of parmesan cheese. 8. Cover and cook on low for 3 1/2- 4 hours or till peppers are tender and the filling is heated through. 9. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Recipe Notes
    You can use a mix of green, orange, yellow and red peppers for an attractive dish.
    Nutritional Facts per serving
    CALORIES 383.5 CAL
    FAT 16.5 G
    SATURATED FAT 9.4 G
    CHOLESTEROL 37.8 MG
    SODIUM 1119.5 MG
    CARBOHYDRATES 43.7 G
    TOTAL SUGARS 11.3 G
    DIETARY FIBER 8.2 G
    PROTEIN 16.6 G
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatmedelicious.com/
    I'm obsessed with this blog. So much great food!!!!!