Plateau help ugh eat more or less?

Options
So I have been hovering around the same weight for 3 months. It's annoying. I have changed my work outs. I do both cardio and strenght training. More recently I have been doing Piloxing (pilates and boxing), jillian's killer buns and thighs, and her ripped in 30. I also do some strenght work outs from shape.com and daily apps on android. I do those 3 times a week and I change things up so nothing becomes too easy.

I am at 144-145. My BMR according to mfp is 1380 or something like that. According to calorie calculator, daily doing daily activities I burn a total of 1650. I work out 5-6 days a week, and average 300-600 a work out (I use a hrm to be more accurate).

I have been eating 1200-1400 most days during all this time. About once a week I will eat 1600+ and maybe once every two weeks I will eat 1800-2000 one day but I'll work out on that day for sure.

I have changed mfp to lose .5 lbs a week since I didn't think 1200 was enough calories which is what it had me netting to lose 1lbs a week which wasn't working. I usually would hit, as I said, my net of 1200-1400 a day. Maybe twice I week I'll be just under.

Here's what I usually eat on an average day

Breakfast: Usually a cup of cereal, skim milk (I don't drink it), and an orange juice or I will have a protein shake or a couple pieces of toast will jelly with a juice.

Lunch: A tuna sandwhich and unsweet or lightly sweetened tea, or something around 300-400 calories

Dinner: pizza, a lean cuisine, or a chicken foil pack with veggies and maybe a small baked potato on the size, or a taco, wheat pasta, ect. Stays around 500 cals for dinner

Snacks: Popcorn, a fiber bar, or an apple, sometimes with peanut butter.

I tried eating less but that didn't seem to work well, so I was thinking of trying to eat more by maybe having a larger breakfast or lunch. I'm not sure, eating more just seems odd to me.

I don't force myself to eat back my exercise cals, sometimes I will if I'm hungry but if I work out alot, like today I burned 500+ cals, I didn't eat them back. mfp says I still ahve 500 left :/

I drink plenty of water

Replies

• NotSoShabby
    Options
    Try cutting back a touch on the carbs. Try to have your carbs at breakfast and lunch, cut them out after 6pm, stick to whole grains, brown rice etc ...definitely stay away from 'white' carbs. Are you drinking enough water ?
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem, and started eating less (orange diet) around 1 week ago and have lost around 3 pounds! I had not lost for a couple months before that :D
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Try cutting back a touch on the carbs. Try to have your carbs at breakfast and lunch, cut them out after 6pm, stick to whole grains, brown rice etc ...definitely stay away from 'white' carbs. Are you drinking enough water ?

Yes I've been good about the water. my allergy medicine makes me thirsty so it's been good that it makes me drink water.

I will try cutting carbs at dinner. I will sub the potato with brown rice or maybe a small salad. I'm just a carb queen :/
    I do only buy whole wheat bread and pasta now. I like them better than white
  • janessac
    Options
    When you hit a plateau, you need to zig zag your calories. Eat 1200 one day, then 1800 the next, then 1400, then 1300, then 1900, etc. This tricks your body into releasing the fat that it's holding onto. When your body is used to eating the same calories every single day, it will eventually start storing holding onto fat, so by increasing your caloric intake, you're tricking it into thinking that you're overeating. Don't up your exercise while doing this either or else you'll just cancel out the extra calories and you'll defeat the purpose. I was stuck for 4 weeks and I actually lessened my workouts by 2/week and upped my calories and lost 1.2lbs in one week. This has also worked for a lot of my friends and mfp friends as well. Zig zagging basically keeps your body/metabolism on its toes :) Hope this helps!
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Is that your picture? Have you stopped to think that maybe you are at your optimal weight? You look fantastic. No, better than fantastic. You are the picture of perfection. Why not just consider this maintenance. Numbers are not as important as health and strength. The number you have decided you need to be may be off.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    oh no that is not my pic that is jillian michaels that's my goal, well near goal, we are the same height. My goal weight is 125, She's 118 and really toned.

I will try the zig zag cals and keep the same work outs and see if that works. thanks!
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    now it's my pic :)
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Bump
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Bump
  • AmandaR321
    AmandaR321 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Usually a day on maintenance (or even 500 over maintenance) knocks my plateaus.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Carb timing is only going to effect water weight and won't have any contribution towards fat loss unless the removal of evening carbs effects your total intakes.

That being said, if you've not been checked for insulin related medical conditions, reduction of overall carbs could help you (if you have insulin resistance or diabetes).

Lastly, opening your food diary would help others to assist you.