Don't trust clothes sizes!

Options
2»

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Different Brands Fit Different. I never go by size. I always try it on. THat is the reason I wear alot of nike cloths because they fit my body great.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Different Brands Fit Different. I never go by size. I always try it on. THat is the reason I wear alot of nike cloths because they fit my body great.
  • Rjdj3530
    Rjdj3530 Posts: 154
    Options
    I wonder sometimes if we are buyng junior sizes and don't realize it. I have this issue as well.
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    UK here,. The other day I was wearing a size 24 shirt, and size 14 skirt. Cant make sense of that. Thing is the 24 was from a plus sized shop(Evans), and the 14 was from a standard (New Look)
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have everything from an x-small to an x-large in my closet and they all fit. Bottoms? I have sizes 4-8 (I'm a leggings kind of girl so I don't have a lot of pants to pull this info from. Oh - my leggings/tights range from small-large).
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    wow i hear ya all, it's so frustrating !!! You don't even know what size to take off the rack to try on in the room anymore. I have been a solid size 9 since i had my son 5 years ago ( before a solid 7/8) last month i went to the states for shopping as i buy all my jeans from gordmans and i always buy a 9. I couldn't even get them up past my hips! I am all the same weight and measurements for the last 5 years, so why now 2 months( from my last shopping spree for jeans) i can't get them up past my hips? sp strange.. then they make you feel so much fatter then you really are :*( I ended up buying a 11 to get them past my hips but now 2 hrs after i wear them they stretch and they are too big around my waist... UGGG!
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Oh - and when I went to try on wedding dresses, I was in a 10 to 12. That one sort of threw me off. I think it's because I was born with football player shoulders/broad back haha
  • gem975
    gem975 Posts: 29
    Options
    the first would have to be after the civil war when a company did a survey of a large amount of women and body shapes and came up with a size range that would suit most.. the only problem is that that was back in the 50's..

Please tell me you meant to type World War II? :)

My mum has theorized that it's actully American size 14 (which is Australia size 18) That is a possibly.

No... I mean the American Civil war.. the government took measurements down for all of its soldiers and created a database to make the contracting of uniforms to factories easier (before this it was all made to measure by tailors)

After the war another company thought "hey what a great idea! now we can mass produce clothing at a cheaper price, lower labor costs and high turn around due to the machinery being developed.." And did their own database/survey this time on american women..
  • gem975
    Options
    the first would have to be after the civil war when a company did a survey of a large amount of women and body shapes and came up with a size range that would suit most.. the only problem is that that was back in the 50's..

My mum has theorized that it's actully American size 14 (which is Australia size 18) That is a possibly.

No... I mean the American Civil war.. the government took measurements down for all of its soldiers and created a database to make the contracting of uniforms to factories easier (before this it was all made to measure by tailors)

After the war another company thought "hey what a great idea! now we can mass produce clothing at a cheaper price, lower labor costs and high turn around due to the machinery being developed.." And did their own database/survey this time on american women..
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    There was an initiative to standardize US women's clothing sizes. It was shot down by retailers. If clothing sizes were standard, online retailers(or discount stores like Filene's basement that avoided "shrinkage" by not providing dressing rooms) would have a much easier time competing with traditional stores. They want you to be forced to try on every damn item before you buy.

They know men want to come into the store, pick up a plastic bag with a shirt in it, and walk out. They wouldn't dare make them try on clothes.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I have size 14 PJ's I can get in and size 14 jog pants that are too tight and waistband width is 2" smaller and they both meant to be same size! Also my size 18 adidas tracksuit pants have same width waistband as my size 16 yoga pants! .. It's impossible, but I was still thrilled to get in at least one pair of 14. PJ's and all my size 20's are huge and miles too big now.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I wonder sometimes if we are buyng junior sizes and don't realize it. I have this issue as well.

If it's an odd number size (3-5-7-11-13) it's juniors' and cut more narrow through the hips and thighs. Even sizes are misses' or women's.
  • weightofyourskin
    Options

It's just that in your first post you said "the only problem is that that was back in the 50's" which doesn't make sense even assuming you meant the 1850s...
  • gem975
    Options

It's just that in your first post you said "the only problem is that that was back in the 50's" which doesn't make sense even assuming you meant the 1850s...

Alright, so in an attempt to keep in short and simple, I missed a few steps only giving you the MAIN points.. didnt realise it was such a big deal :|

"The Civil War was a pivotal event in the historical development of men's ready-made clothing. At the outset of the Civil War, most uniforms were custom-made in workers' homes under government contract. As the war continued, however, manufacturers started to build factories that could quickly and efficiently meet the growing demands of the military. Mass production of uniforms necessitated the development of standard sizes. Measurements taken of the soldiers revealed that certain sets of measurements tended to recur with predictable regularity. After the war, these military measurements were used to create the first commercial sizing scales for men."
    in between these two events poorly made blah blah bad sizing every store was different.. THEN
    "In 1937, the U.S. Department of Agriculture prepared to conduct a study of women's body measurements for the purpose of creating a sizing system which the entire industry could follow."

ok so give or take 12 years lol whattevvverrrrrr I'm on holidays dammit.. relax..