BINGE CHOCOLATE EATER. HELP!

Options
I have a huge problem!
I can't stop chocolate!..... Especially when it is in my fridge.
A few days ago I made a chocolate birthday cake for my partners birthday and thank god!!! all of our friends eat it.
BUT! There were left a bowl of chocolate bites that I made, and I can't stop eating them until I eat them all!
A few minutes ago I had (without being hungry) 3 of them... that means almost 600 of calories.

There are times that I CAN'T STOP EATING. Even when I'm full. I think that is called a binge eating episode and I have them once in a while.
Although I try eat fruits and vegetables and things like that, this time... my addiction is in the fridge.
I'm thinking of just trough them away or give them to my neighbour or to my dad... but I don't do it.
Just keeping them there to sabotage my effort!

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You need to get that chocolate out of your house NOW! If you can't get to your dad or your neighbor isn't home, Toss the lot. I think we all have certain eating triggers, and removing ourselves from temptation - or temptation from us - is always the best course of action. For me, it's peanut butter fudge.

The good news is that you recognize that you have this issue and a plan of action to deal with it. Don't dwell on what you have eaten today and if you go over calories eating more nutritious food the rest of the day, so be it. You're not alone.
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I would give up all chocolatey treats to friends and family and not look back. I personally find that if I go (say) 3 days without chocolate I won't think about it once. The moment I have one small piece I'm obsessed again. Right now I'm thinking about my boyfriend's work chocolates that are in the cupboard because I had an advent chocolate this morning. Usually I wouldn't even consider it.

I would suggest you remove all chocolate from your house so there isn't anything tempting you and after a week of being chocolate-free and see how you feel - but I'm betting that you'll also soon forget all about it when it's no longer fresh in your mind.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Ummm....stop buying it???
  • lisaf222
    Options
    i totally understand...I am the same....if its there....especially opened....im useless....I will gorge myself on chocolate!!! need to stop but I don't know how....I'm totally addicted!

I just don't have it in the house and try hard not to go anywhere near it....but if i'm feeling weak...i always cave!

maybe try not having it and if you do buy the really expensive, good quality stuff and maybe you can be a little bit more controlled...works for me!

good luck :)
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I personally find that if I go (say) 3 days without chocolate I won't think about it once. The moment I have one small piece I'm obsessed again.

Almost the same.
    That's why I call it addiction. If I don't have for 3-4 days I will be ok.
    But when I try a piece... I'm like chocaholic and spend all my day just with the dream to eat something with chocolate. I'm better now. Promised to my self to go to the gym and run 8 km so as to burn the calories and don't feel so much guilty. I also had a lettuce salad for lunch.
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You are such a person who understands peoples problems! You should consider becoming a psychologist! :laugh:

Thanks for the advice! I can't understand why I didn't see the obvious! I'll have it in mind next time I'll need to make a birthday cake and use only the cake!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    You are such a person who understands peoples problems! You should consider becoming a psychologist! :laugh:

Thanks for the advice! I can't understand why I didn't see the obvious! I'll have it in mind next time I'll need to make a birthday cake and use only the cake!

FWIW - I'd tell the same thing to an alcoholic. By your own admission, you say you can't stop. You say it's an addiction. If it's something you truly can't control, then don't buy it.

There are many other ways to show your affection for birthdays other than buying something that causes you to relapse into an uncontrollable addition. If the person you're honoring can't understand that, then there's another problem you must deal with. Make your partner a lemon cake or a carrot cake or create an over the top dinner of steak and potatoes.

But become real with your addiction and know if it's something you can't handle then keep it out of your home.
  • mtrible
    Options
    Do you need to add more lean protein to your diet so you don't feel the need to binge? I've spent the last week on high protein and I have not felt like I wanted to binge at all. I've always had a problem with binging and chocolate, and cutting some carbs and adding lots of protein has done the trick! My blood sugars have remained more stable and I've lost 4 pounds this week and haven't wanted to binge once. Plus, get the temptation out of the house. You are worth more than that chocolate!
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem so I don't have chocolate in the house except in small quantities when I allow myself a treat. I gave it up for Lent this year - it was really hard but because I'd made that commitment I stuck to it. I'm doing it again next year ... and alcohol!
  • michellyn
    michellyn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm on a tight budget, so I hate to waste food--and wasting chocolate would seem especially bad to me! Do you live with anyone else? It would help me to keep it hidden (if they could hide it for me, that would be much better than hiding it myself) and have them only dole out a small amount say once a week. If not, it would still help me to hide it in a few places if I stored it in portion-sized pieces. Even if I succumbed to a second portion, I'd be likely to stop there since I wouldn't be eating it so mindlessly.

I believe I read somewhere that if you're craving chocolate, your body may need the nutrients in nuts, so if the craving strikes again soon, try a small handful of those to help you push through.
  • ttulio
    ttulio Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first started. I love chocolate but had to keep it out of reach. The key for me was making sure that I logged everything. After a while, when I noticed how that kind of binging affected my weekly goals, it became less appealing to eat so much of it. On the flip side, I found out that small amounts don't affect my goals that much, so I can still treat myself. That kind of accountability around food wasn't easy to get and I still struggle with it sometimes. I usually keep something like dark chocolate around that's a little healthier and not as sweet, which causes me to eat less of it. I also tend to enjoy it more now since I'm taking the time to savor it and not just shoveling it down like I haven't eaten for days.
  • aimeemusic
    aimeemusic Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You need to get that chocolate out of your house NOW! If you can't get to your dad or your neighbor isn't home, Toss the lot. I think we all have certain eating triggers, and removing ourselves from temptation - or temptation from us - is always the best course of action. For me, it's peanut butter fudge.

The good news is that you recognize that you have this issue and a plan of action to deal with it. Don't dwell on what you have eaten today and if you go over calories eating more nutritious food the rest of the day, so be it. You're not alone.

i agree toss them out! And then take out the trash!

buy chocolate cereal (like chocolate frosted mini wheats- MY FAVS!) and have then once a day (breakfast)...that way you feel like you have chocolate everyday (only about 250 calories one serving with 1% milk..less if you use skim)
  • wbailey38
    Options
    Don't have it in the house! If you NEED a chocolate fix, go buy a small single-serve chocolate bar and eat it.