Thinking about protein shakes? Do you?

Options
So on the topic of protein shakes- I have never really thought I had a need for this but I am interested in your personal reason for making them. What kind of results you have had, and which you like. I am considering it as I have had the longest ever plateau but am interested in your thoughts. As far as my daily log goes I am not deficient in protein but I know many that use it are not either- thanks for the feedback!

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I have one every day. When I started resistance training and learned about needing more protein, I started with whey protein shakes. I use MRM whey and also the body fortress whey from wal mart.

this morning's shake was -

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 scoop MRM vanilla whey protein
    1/2 cup frozen natural blueberries
    1 tbsp wheat germ
    1 tbsp ground flax seeds
    1 tbsp psyllium husk powder
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    it honestly depends on your aim... I have upped mine from 1 shake to 3-4shakes a day. But I am doing a lot of muscle work so I want to make sure that all my hard work is not going to waste :) I am no guru on this, but I have read that protein can assist in weight loss, as muscle aids in burning calories.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have at least one every day. For several reasons.

1) I work out, so I need to have them to repair (thanks to this I'm hardy ever sore as I drink lots and get plenty sleep)
    2) I need them as it's really hard to eat 100g protein a day! Naturally.
    3) Protein does so much in your body it's really a neglect to not keep up with your bodies needs.

The food police tell us that you should have 40-50 grams a day. I have read through numerous books on the matter, and advice from several health and wellness, sports nutrition and doctors that are focused on active lifestyles.... it's more realistically double that for true health.

Surely cannot hurt! But it definatly can harm to go without enough protein.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Everyday. After strength training, always. On days I don't do strength training, I usually use it as a meal.

Usually, I mix it with frozen blueberries or strawberries, and sometimes add yogurt, dry oatmeal, banana, or frosted mini-wheats (or some combination of a few of those).

I love this one. Tastes great, but the nutrition is awesome. Has plenty of Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) as well.
    ISO100-2lb-Van-Facts.jpg
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i use them to great effect as a meal replacement that keeps me full for longer and helps me get all the protein i need
  • Firefighter_Ray
    Firefighter_Ray Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I wanted the advantages of a shake, Protein, vitamins, etc, but really don't like to drink a meal. I played around with a few different ways of using the powder and have found that for me, 1 scoop of Dymatize Elite - Whey Protein Isolate Cafe Mocha, 1 cup of oatmeal (2 servings), and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, is the best for me. 512 calories, 61 carbs, 15 g fat, 40 protein, 9 fiber, and only 4 fat. Starting my day with the blast of Protein has really changed the amount of energy I have, and there is definitely a healthy tone set for the day. It keeps me FULL all morning and has helped me to cut back on the size of my lunch. If I cant finish it, I spoon the leftovers onto wax paper and it sets up similar to a no bake cookie. I enter the calories etc. for the full amount and then I have a little snack available through out the day that is already accounted for.
    I hope this helps answer your original question.

PS---Thiis guy needs more friends, but doesn't like sending friend requests :blushing:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I use them when I do not get adequate protein intake from whole foods.

They are inexpensive relative to grams of protein.
    Whey is very bioavailable.
    It is convenient.
    It can be used to flavor other foods.
    It is typically low calorie which makes it a very easy source of protein to fit into macros.

All the above being said, they are not NECESSARY provided you can intake enough protein from whole foods. But, whey is so, so helpful for doing this.

I will average zero to 3 servings per day and it just all depends on what my food choices are.

... I need to make a meme about whey.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I dont bother with shakes anymore, and it hasnt hurt my lifts or my composition. That said, i still like a nice cassein shake when im under my daily goal and need to hit that protein count. Shakes remain cheap and convenient if you cant eat that much food, but i prefer to just have a larger dinner now
  • mtrible
    Options
    I use EAS carb control advantage protein shake every day at about 3:00 so that I can stabilize my blood sugars and make it through until dinner without overeating at dinner. It keeps me full for several hours and it provides my body with the protein that it needs.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes because I set my macro ratio to 40/30/30 carb/fat/pro and I have a VERY hard time hitting that 30% protein if I don't.
  • lawson305
    Options
    wow....right on target, i've been sick and needed to increase protein, as I haven't had much of an appetite....so just made myself this shake:

1. Weight Watchers - Creamy Chocolate Smoothie Mix, 1 packet (26 g)
    2. Silk Soy Milk - Vanilla Light 70 Cal Per 1.5 Cups
    3. Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Cookies and Cream - Protien Powder, 0.5 Scoop

255 calories, 31 grams of protein, 24 carbs, 14 sugar - a bit pricey but tastes good! Next time I will skip the WW powder, but had it here and wanted to give it a whirl...
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I only have one when I haven't had enough protein from real food, or don't feel like eating more for the day. If the diet is good, they really arent necessary.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    wow....right on target, i've been sick and needed to increase protein, as I haven't had much of an appetite....so just made myself this shake:

3. Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Cookies and Cream - Protien Powder, 0.5 Scoop

255 calories, 31 grams of protein, 24 carbs, 14 sugar - a bit pricey but tastes good! Next time I will skip the WW powder, but had it here and wanted to give it a whirl...

Dude-
    men shouldnt really take in soy. google it...the general rule is the estrogen in soy is counter productive to mens testosterone...its a big debate but I would advise against soy for men
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I try to get 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight but because I'm a runner I also need a lot of carbs too, so when I can't seem to fit all the protein in I will make myself a protein shake. I don't know if you'd really call it a shake though as I make mine with water and don't do anything fancy to it besides mix it up and drink it up. I use 100% whey protein but sometimes I will have 100% casein at night.
  • N_BEAST_MODE_24_7
    N_BEAST_MODE_24_7 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I use Visalus protein, low calorie shakes! 90 total calories, 12 grams of protein, which I take 3 shakes a day and eat 2 meals. It smells like cake mix and tastes great with almond milk. It greatly helps me with cutting weight and building muscle. Its a plus for those that wants to lose weight or tone up.
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Everyday. After strength training, always. On days I don't do strength training, I usually use it as a meal.

Usually, I mix it with frozen blueberries or strawberries, and sometimes add yogurt, dry oatmeal, banana, or frosted mini-wheats (or some combination of a few of those).

I love this one. Tastes great, but the nutrition is awesome. Has plenty of Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) as well.
    ISO100-2lb-Van-Facts.jpg

I love your ticker! Where did you get it?
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I use EAS from WalMart, I started because I was struggling with my weight loss and knew other people used it, so I gave it a try. I started with a trainer at the gym because I was still struggling. Trainer has me on a higher number of protein than MFP so now it is harder for me to hit my goal naturally but I am learning. I use the protein when I am low in numbers and also after the gym to help muscle recovery, protein is very important for that.
    I dont remember if you mentioned your level of workouts, but before I started with the trainer I thought my workouts were good, but she has me doing 3x's as much as I did before coming to her.
    When I started she also encouraged me to hit my protein goal every day, so I listened. My trainer also suggested to keep my sugar intake around 50-100 each day, I am 5'7 and 245lbs.
    Good Luck!!
  • lawson305
    Options
    I was not aware....thanks for the info...new here and trying so hard!!

Dude-
    men shouldnt really take in soy. google it...the general rule is the estrogen in soy is counter productive to mens testosterone...its a big debate but I would advise against soy for men
  • thinby40
    thinby40 Posts: 113
    Options
    I love the chocolate protein shakes from www.lisalynfitness.com They're very filling and tasty! I try and have them 2x a day as a meal replacement/snack.