blood donation screwed up my weigh-ins

Options
Hey everyone,

I donated blood earlier this week (double red blood cells) and noticed later that day that my weight had dropped by about 3 pounds from the beginning of the week. That number hasn't risen back up again. Does anyone know at what point my weight will "normalize" so I can begin tracking my real weight loss again?

Thanks!

Replies

• Dinah22
    Dinah22 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    "my weight had dropped by about 3 pounds from the beginning of the week. "

Is there something I'm not getting? I thought that was the idea?

Edited to say: I note that you are a pharmacy student...........
  • fuzzycop
    Options
    Trust me, you didn't lose 3 POUNDS of red blood cells, even if your plasma was included. You would be off by less than a pound after the donation, but as soon as you started consuming liquids, that weigh would be restored to your blood stream by replenished fluids. Now, the good news....it sounds like you may have actually lost 1.5 to 2 pounds, realistically.
  • fuzzycop
    Options
  • continue29
    Options
    i donated recently too & lost a normal 2 pounds this week, so i don't think it made any difference to my weight loss.

However, i've been donating for many years & this time i fainted, in a pretty dramatic fashion (much embarressment) - never done that before!

Just hope it was a blip, not a nice experience
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    You can lose up to 1 pound by donating blood; however, the volume comes back within 24 hours of eating and drinking. It looks like you have simply dropped a few pounds.
  • nukehiker
    Options
    Congrats on the double red cell donation ! I just wish more people would stop thinking of themselves and donate blood !! I agree with the other posters, any weight loss you may have experienced from the donation 1 pounds or so would have stabilized after a day.
  • mcadams1
    Options
    Great job on the 3 lb loss because that is ALL YOU not the donation, and kudos on the donation too :flowerforyou:
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    *Runs to donate blood*
  • romashkinai1
    Options
    I would really want to donate blood, but they won't let me do that because i don't weight enough :(
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I donate every 56 days and have been for years. My weight always drops right after as well but doesnt stay that way. Make sure you are getting hydrated afterwards (they recommend additional water or juice those days) as that might help, and mayve you're showing extra water weight loss because of this....should come back up though in a day or two. 3 pounds though sounds like a little from the blood donation/dehydration, most from actual weight loss
  • clintondene
    clintondene Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Losing weight by blood donation! I'm going to the red cross now!
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I'd give it one more week...I donated a few months ago and noticed the same thing. It sounds like a lot of it is bona fide weight loss, however. Nicely done!

I need to go make my platelet donation now...I'm A+ so they want my platelets ALL THE TIME!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a win-win situation to me.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Thank you for donating blood. I am a recipient of someones generosity. I have donated since then, but my body does not do well with that. I have tried several times. I just can't function the rest of the day, so I need to do it when I can go home and sleep right after. With 5 kids, that's not so easy. So, thanks again.

That being said, I think you should be able to count your wieght as it stands now. Your initial wieght loss was due to fluids. Those fluids should be back to normal now and you should be all set to move forward.

Best wishes.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I'm not allowed to give blood... unless I lie :cry:
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I would really want to donate blood, but they won't let me do that because i don't weight enough :(

And yet, you still want to lose more weight...*sigh*
  • ladyarkham
    ladyarkham Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Awesome - thanks! I figured on my weight dropping a bit when I first donated, but I didn't expect it to stay dropped - I've been pretty bad recently, just started really logging again yesterday.

And goodness, @continue29 , there was a girl there the day I donated who fainted fairly dramatically, and even looked a little bit like your picture. Strange world.

I'll update my weight - finally broken 190 for reals for the first time in a few years!