I ran my first mile in my life today! What happends next? lo

Options

Replies

• 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    That's so great! Congrats!
    If you're looking to add distance, Couch to 5K (C25K) is what turned me from a hardened non-runner last year into someone who's run competitive races and is now training for a triathlon.
  • RisyaLifsheTova
    RisyaLifsheTova Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Just be prepared running becomes addictive. I would also recommend a C25K program and just keep moving, you will love the way it makes you feel.

Couldnt agree with you more!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE running, Doing my first 5k THIS MONTH!!! Im so excited!
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    congrats!
  • emmamcblain
    Options
    Eeee, very well done :D Just remember how you felt when you knew you were going to finish, and that should keep giving you the drive you need to reach your other goals. Well in, you!
  • ACEgirl1
    ACEgirl1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am so impressed and inspired! Way to go!!
  • RisyaLifsheTova
    RisyaLifsheTova Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Keep rocking it girl! I first started at a slow pace then worked my way up. My aunt taught me something kinda cool. I was telling her that I can fun for 10 minutes straight at a speed of 5.0. Her suggetion was. Why dont you run at a slower pace and run yoru complete 30 minutes :) I did this for months and I would complete the entire workout without slowing down. I as of yesterday can now run my full 30minutes at a speed of 5.0 I had to start at a 4.0 and slowely progress. Today my goal is to run for 3.1 miles and see how long it takes me. Just keep in mind that running on land is deff differant from the treadmill. So Ive tried incorporating some land running as well. Just sucks it snows here lol. Anyways I wish you the best in your journey and new found addiction. Trust me. If its not an additction yet. It soon will be lol

People either LOVE LOVE LOVE to run, or really hate it! lol

Hope this was helpful
  • memobe
    memobe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Very happy for you! I would just take it easy and don't worry about time for now. Just add to it gradually and run at a comfortable pace. I'm with the others on the C25K.

WTG!
  • billtownsend
    billtownsend Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Welcome to the world of running. :smile:

I did about the same thing 2 years ago, started walking on the track and then signed up for a 5K (3.1 Miles) then did a Half Marathon. You should try a race and see if you like it. :huh: hehe

congratulations on your accomplishment!

Keep going! :happy:
  • LosingWeight2012
    LosingWeight2012 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was so excited when I hit one lap! I've never ran farther than that tho. I'm going to try to run half a mile soon. Great job!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! :)
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • kamoira23
    Options
    Yay!! That's fabulous!! Like most people have mentioned, C25K is good. When I started, I couldn't run one minute without getting winded. I've been able to run a 13:30 mile at one time. Now I am working on getting my endurance up and not really worrying about speed so I run 10 minutes when I first get to the gym, then do my cardio/weights, and run 10 minutes before I leave. Then I run a mile at least once a week. This is working so far for me!

Good luck!!
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! I don't technically know you, but I feel so proud of you right now! lol

The best thing about running is you can easily see your progress and continue to set new goals. Keep up the good work!
  • EnjoyEverything
    EnjoyEverything Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I ran my first mile in June of 2010 after almost 2 weeks of trying (I still have all of my GPS stats). I was sooooo thrilled!.. I went online, got a Runner World subscription and took it from there. Yeah, that's how pumped I was.

The object was to then decrease time and have ability to do it over and over again - non stop. There were a few failures.

Once I could do a particular distance about 3 ~ 4 per week without failure, I bumped it up. I would do the next new distance at a relatively slower pace than the old distance... but DO IT.

In 7 months, I lost 23 pounds and was up to 9 miles!!!!! Winter set in, I moved in Jan 2011, got a new job and lost some ground. In April 2011 I started all over again, but further ahead than the year before. Now, I run an 8 mile regularly and have completed 2 1/2 marathons. The last during the Chicago Marathon.

Speaking of which. I used the Bank of America Chicago Marathon Training Program as a guide. Once I reached the ability to do what WEEK 1 was for the beginner training.. I took it from there as followed that.

Here are a couple links. YOU CAN DO IT. I now feel that if I don't run, I'm not happy. I realize that this is set up for a marathon. Just follow the simple steps and tailor it back to fit your needs.

http://www.chicagomarathon.com/cms400min/chicago_marathon/ << SELECT Participant Information then Trainiog Program

http://fitbie.msn.com/get-fitter/run-your-best-fall-marathon/?GT1=50017

Bob
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    congrats! i just ran my first mile in my entire life this week too. i felt so proud of myself. i've always loathed running, but now i am challenging myself with it to see what kind of results i can get from it. my goal is to do a 5K sometime next year.
    good luck
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Awesome sauce babe! I just did my first mile of running, ever ever, about three months ago. It was pretty gosh darn amazing. Now I try to do one mile at least three times a week (although it's been two weeks since that happened, thanks to a cold and holidays), and if I'm feeling it, I go longer. My longest to date is 35 minutes, completing 3 miles. It was pretty awesome, but it isn't something I can do often, since I am in dire need of new running shoes.
    Congrats!!!
  • santamommy
    Options
    Cograts! I am at the very beginning..I hope to be running within the month. Thanks for being an inspiration!
  • tam823
    tam823 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That is amazing!!! Just wait until you do your first 5K. I love running 5K's. I still can't do them without stopping so don't let that discourage you. My advise, get ready for a 5K. Sign up for one, whether you can do without stopping or not. It will motivate you to keep training and it is one of the best feelings I have had!! Congrats on your hard work!
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    wooo! soon your body will get used to running that long. You can tell once it is easy from beginning to end. That is your signal to go harder or longer :) good luck!!
  • LibbyBelanger
    LibbyBelanger Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Just take it slow. I would run that same mile for a week or two, same pace. Then all of a sudden you will be like this is way to short and keep going. Time can come later. Get to 2 miles where you are really comfy and work on time for those 2 miles.

I am 58 and I use to run, gained a million lbs, years pass, time to get healthy again. Have bad knees because of the weight, so I knew I would never run again....but guess what? I ran across a 5 line road one day to make it fast and all of a sudden 6 months later I can do a 5K with no problem. YOU WILL GET THIS DONE. I PROMISE! Best feeling ever. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!