Low fat milk

Options
koosdel
koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
Seems like everyone these days feels the need to drink low fat milk. I don't see the need, I can have milk in my cereal and have the fat too. I mean, that's the best part!

Is there something wrong with me? Is there anyone else out there who just does not enjoy it? I don't like the taste, it makes me feel like something is missing.... I don't see the need?

Not saying that people who DO drink low fat milk are bad, but I just don't get what all the hype is about.

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I rarely "drink" milk but I've been on 2% since I was a teenager because that's what my family would buy, and after getting used to that, the whole milk makes me want to puke it tastes so gross to me..
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Just be yourself. Good for you for not crumbling under peer pressure.
  • missy204
    Options
    I agree, but anymore milk is milk to me. I grew up on vitamin D and went to 2% then now back to Vitamin D due to my son.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i actually hate whole milk now. I drink fat free about 2 cups daily. I can actually "taste the fat" whenever I do drink whole milk and it's nasty.
    It tastes like someone made fries and threw the used oil in the milk.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I like full fat almond milk. Chubby almonds need love too.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I like skim milk.. Full fat or 2% taste like phlegm to me.

I don't like fat free yogurt or cottage cheese though. When I make yogurt I used to use skim milk but now I use full fat and WOW what a difference. So much tastier and I believe the fats help fill you up so calories from fat are not "wasted" calories. So I just go with what I like and account for calories accordingly.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    go big. melt some butter and pour it on!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Skim milk tastes like milk-flavored water. Milk shouldn't be greyish in color...

I like 2%. And Mayfield is my drug, I mean brand, of choice.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    2% or whole for me!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I can't have milk in the house, I can drink a gallon a day which is 1600 calories alone. No will power around milk!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I don't like milk, never have, but I always keep skim in the fridge for when a recipe calls for milk and I can't tell the difference.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    for some reason, full fat milk just tastes like cream to me. however, i love love love chocolate milk that's full fat.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was any "hype" about milk period................... lol

I only buy skim milk.... regular milk is too think for me.... but I dont ever drink it straight, i pretty much just put it in my coffee... cereal etc.
  • sandimack
    sandimack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm milk, I'm addicted to the stuff. When I quit drinking it and switched to almond milk the weight just dropped off! One glass of skim milk has 13 grams of sugar! Took me years to realize my milk addiction was keeping from reaching my goals.
  • VinVenture
    Options
    I can taste the difference in fat in milk, between the four different kinds available (low fat 0.1%, semi-skimmed w/ vitamin D 0.7%, semi-skimmed 1.5% and whole 3.9%). I prefer drinking low fat, but I use with vitamin D during winter. It works with chocolate milk, too. 1.5% is good, but definitively the best to use in cooking, like rice porridge. 3.9% I only use in coffee, but it makes for such delicious latte (although I tend to use low-fat for coffee if I'm having a rubbish day food-wise)

Milk is just milk, in my head you use different milk for different thing. Drinking whole milk? No thank you, much too fatty.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    some people don't want to use their calories that way when there's a limited amount of calories in a day.....i don't even like the taste. if i can't have almond milk i always go for skim....a taste preference.

i'd rather save full fat for whipped cream :-)
  • craig1970
    craig1970 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Skimmed milk all the way.
    Full fat milk makes me gag!
  • _David_
    _David_ Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am a whole milk fan too
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't like milk in general. I used to buy whole milk all the time. I switched to skim milk at the height of my weight loss journey because I was tired of wasting the calories on something I put in my Cream of Wheat. I accidentally bought a gallon of whole milk awhile back (someone put it in the wrong place and I was distracted) and I could taste the difference in my Cream of Wheat - it tasted disgusting to me.

Nothing wrong with drinking what you like - just remember that goes both ways. Nothing wrong with you liking whole milk, someone else liking 2% of someone liking skim. It's milk. Who cares?
  • rondakaye39
    Options
    I totally agree. :smile: