Not eating Breakfast??? Over 50 please.

Options
2»

Replies

• LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    No offense, but I'll be 65 next month, and I've reinvented myself a couple of times since I turned 50 including going back to graduate school to get an MS in clinical psych at the age of 53. If you choose to believe that change is more difficult when you get older, well, that's your choice and it will be your reality, but it's not fate written in the stars or a "life rule" or anything like that. I guess I missed the Old Fogies Manual they hand out when you turn 50. When I was attending a job search group at a local community agency a couple of years ago, the advice given included getting retraining and a number of guys in their 50s said they wouldn't or couldn't do that because of their age. They didn't seem to see that it was their choice to believe this, nothing more.

I am a very fortunate lady as I have reached all my life goals., i my education, occupation, place of residence. socialization, and more. I have worked diligently, nothing was given to me. Now I am working on my Bucket List.

When I say I am set in my ways I am. I have been around a long time, such as yourself and I have never seen anyone change. Sad but true. I am not speaking about breakfast though. I am glad you are moving along to reach your goals.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    No offense, but I'll be 65 next month, and I've reinvented myself a couple of times since I turned 50 including going back to graduate school to get an MS in clinical psych at the age of 53. If you choose to believe that change is more difficult when you get older, well, that's your choice and it will be your reality, but it's not fate written in the stars or a "life rule" or anything like that. I guess I missed the Old Fogies Manual they hand out when you turn 50. When I was attending a job search group at a local community agency a couple of years ago, the advice given included getting retraining and a number of guys in their 50s said they wouldn't or couldn't do that because of their age. They didn't seem to see that it was their choice to believe this, nothing more.

I am a very fortunate lady as I have reached all my life goals., i my education, occupation, place of residence. socialization, and more. I have worked diligently, nothing was given to me. Now I am working on my Bucket List.

When I say I am set in my ways I am. I have been around a long time, such as yourself and I have never seen anyone change. Sad but true. I am not speaking about breakfast though. I am glad you are moving along to reach your goals.
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    "Food For Thought"

Being thin or "looking healthy" doesn't necessarily mean that people are healthy inside. Just make sure that you are getting the proper vitamins and nutrients with the meals you do eat. Over a period of time your body will start to show the effects on skimping on meals or poor nutrition.

I agree with eating small meals throughout the day. Even eating a piece of fruit, healthy shakes/smoothies are a great breakfast alternative.

I believe as long as your are active, you need to fuel your body with a well balanced diet.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, I rarely ate breakfast. Stayed in acceptable shape (if not fit:tongue: ) until 35, marriage, fostering nephews, quitting smoking, menopause and 45 pounds.. Now no longer obese, still workin on overweight, I sometimes have a hot water/cider vinegar/Knox gelatine cocktail ~2hrs after arising. Somtimes I don't break my fast' til I get hungry at work, around 10. After reading your profile, If I were you I'd focus more on stress reducing strategies like healthful activity and relaxation techniques while maintaining the quality of your intake regardless of its timing. So glad you found the 50+ Women thread, the most supportive, non-judgemental, positive group of women imagineable. Welcome.

Our bodies and minds ARE all different. Do what works for YOU!
    :wink:
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    The thing is, breakfast is an important meal for a reason. Ideally, to lose weight, you need your metabolism CONSTANTLY going. And what makes your metabolism move? Food.
    You have to think of your body as a car. If there's no gas, is it going to go anywhere? And if there's a little in, it'll stop in the middle of the road somewhere!

When it comes down to it, if you really want to lose some weight, you need to eat multiple small meals and snacks a day. You need to fuel your body to lose weight becuase right now it seems to be running on little to nothing.

I would suggest getting meal replacement bars so that instead of sitting down and cooking or taking time to put together some cereal, you can just take that and a bottle of water on the go.

But in the end, you really need to want this for it to change. You can do it! :)

You DO NOT need to eat multiple small meals a day to lose weight. This is still one of the biggest myths in the fitness world.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    "Food For Thought"

Being thin or "looking healthy" doesn't necessarily mean that people are healthy inside. Just make sure that you are getting the proper vitamins and nutrients with the meals you do eat. Over a period of time your body will start to show the effects on skimping on meals or poor nutrition.

I agree with eating small meals throughout the day. Even eating a piece of fruit, healthy shakes/smoothies are a great breakfast alternative.

I believe as long as your are active, you need to fuel your body with a well balanced diet.

so if i were to get the exact same cals/macros/micros in 2 meals vs someone is getting in 6 meals, the person having 6 meals would be healthier?

please stop with the nonsense
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

so if i were to get the exact same cals/macros/micros in 2 meals vs someone is getting in 6 meals, the person having 6 meals would be healthier?

please stop with the nonsense
    This. As long as you're eating at your calorie goal, things will be just fine, don't under eat, don't over eat. Meal timing is only relevant to feeling sated.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast and never did. I lost all the weight I wanted. I don't exercise either. Cut calories only. Oh and I'm 55. :drinker:

I am in love with you!!! I am shocked that people haven't burned you at the stake...LOL
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    Just to clarify: when I said it is difficult to change, I am referring to my meal intake, not my life. I changed from a smoker of 45 years to a non smoker, a single person to a married person, and on and on. Yes, I can change, do I want breakfast every day, NO, Do I eat breakfast, most of the time, YES. I just wanted some knowledge eating breakfast .

Nothing more!!
  • AuntSissy152
    AuntSissy152 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 64. Like you, I never ate breakfast when I was working and now that I'm retired I only eat it maybe 1-2 times a week at the most. If you're worried about it how about a protein shake in the morning. It's quick and easy, puts something on your stomach and gets the motor running. Just the other day I was busy and didn't think about eating until dinner. I don't think skipping breakfast and lunch on a regular basis is a good idea however. If you don't have breakfast I think you should have a little something for lunch. As others have said, we are all different and you have to do what works for you.

I can always use another friend. Add me if you like. I will cheer you on. Good Luck!

Where is this "over 50" thread?
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    When I have time I'll make myself breakfast usually something quick, like a bowl of cereal or a bagel with hummus, but since its the end of the school year and oober crazy I usually just make a chai tea. I'll by soy milk and oregon chai and heat that up really quick put it in my mug and go. I find this gives me just as much energy as a cup of coffee and it has more protein and doesn't leave you tired after a few hours.

as for lunch if I'm really busy I'll just have another chai tea, if I have time, I make a morning star veggie burger or spicy black bean burger with a whole grain bun, and some chips and salsa, a salad, a banana, an apple, or some combinations of these.

Then for dinner I usually eat a lot a big of anything, because by then I usually still have 1000 calories to eat so I'm not too picky about it and I don't go to bed till like 4 or 5 hours after I eat dinner and it hasn't affected my weight loss. I still consistently lose about a pound a week. I also drink a lot of water through out the day.
  • tikikris
    tikikris Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Bravo!:happy:
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    The thing is, breakfast is an important meal for a reason. Ideally, to lose weight, you need your metabolism CONSTANTLY going. And what makes your metabolism move? Food.
    You have to think of your body as a car. If there's no gas, is it going to go anywhere? And if there's a little in, it'll stop in the middle of the road somewhere!

When it comes down to it, if you really want to lose some weight, you need to eat multiple small meals and snacks a day. You need to fuel your body to lose weight becuase right now it seems to be running on little to nothing.

I would suggest getting meal replacement bars so that instead of sitting down and cooking or taking time to put together some cereal, you can just take that and a bottle of water on the go.

But in the end, you really need to want this for it to change. You can do it! :)

You DO NOT need to eat multiple small meals a day to lose weight. This is still one of the biggest myths in the fitness world.

Thankyou!!! :drinker:
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options

If your body is a car, you must waste a lot of time in the day filling up your vehicle. I'm a fan of filling up all at once and waiting until it runs low. In terms of weight loss, i believe thats called intermittent fasting. Which many people have had success with.

Personally, I experiment with what works for me. And so far thats been eat when I'm hungry stop when I'm not. Its worked well so far :)
  • Inebriated
    Options
    I rarely eat breakfast because I'm generally just not hungry before 11 or noon and I haven't had any problems losing weight. I agree with the poster who said eat when you are hungry.
    This. I lost 57lbs without eating breakfast.