Losing with limited exercise??

2»

Replies

• dpartee1
    dpartee1 Posts: 14 Member
    The weight will still fall off without exercise. Dnt get me wrong we exercise for heart/lung health also but I do not think it is essential for weight loss.

ITS ALL ABOUT THE CALORIES
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    I lost all I wanted just eating healthier. My food scale is the best thing I did for my weight loss. I educated myself on healthy eating and learned to make substitutions for the things I love. It takes time and work on your part but in the long run it works. I didn't depend on exercise because I knew I would not stick to it.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    I've always read that losing weight is 90% diet choices and 10% exercise (total bro-science here though, no studies to cite for you). But in my own experience, I have lost about 30 pounds (180 to 150, or lost 16.7% of my starting weight) over the past year, with some random spurts of exercise. I go through phases for a week or two at a time where I'll get into running or weight training at the gym, but really no actual regimen here. Calories is where it counts!
  • Calorie deficit= weight loss.

This

Exactly - I didnt intentionally exercise and lost 14.5kg, but now i have hit a plateau as im 6kg from goal weight. So now im going to start doing some cardio!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Sorry to hear about your injury... must've been painful and now so frustrating for you.

Are you allowed to go swimming? I love swimming and is an excellent way to burn calories... much better than walking/running imho :happy:

BTW... visited Scottsdale/Phoenix a few years ago and loved it. Drove up to Sedona and saw the Grand Canyon from 30,000ft... FAB-U-LOUS :glasses:
  • My recommended amount from MFP has been between 1300 and 1400, plus I add an extra 300 for breastfeeding and I almost always go over by a bit, so really, I've been eating around 1700+ calories per day and still losing 1 to 2 lbs per week (sometimes more).

As for the hunger you feel when you lower your caloric intake, I only noticed it for about a week or so when I first started. I can only imagine I must have been eating 2500 to 3000 calories or more on average, so to drop to 1300 from one day to the next, yes, I was hungry, but I just worked through it, by eating healthy, filling foods thereby getting more bang for my caloric buck, in a manner of speaking. :)
  • Losing weight
    85 % is diet
    25% is exercise
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    I'm a wheelchair user and enjoy boxing style wii games for a good cardio workout.. I do it from sitting in my chair so no feet needed! :wink:

I also do resistance band exercise from sitting, you just need to have band under your feet and Pilates floor exercises if you can lift leg up without pain?

I use a pedal exerciser too but I don't know if that would give you too much pain in heel/ankle? regular ones can be bought from around £14 on eBay and Amazon I think. (mine has a motor though so classed as 'passive trainer')

Dropping 'white carbs' helped me lose the bulk of my weight. I'm now maintaining for a few weeks but will be dropping them again after xmas to shed the last stone!
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Losing weight
    85 % is diet
    25% is exercise

that makes 110%......

I'm mainly watching my calorie intake....I don't do any intentional exercise but I get a bit from my job but I don't count it......
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Hi ive lost all my weight with nearly no exercise except walking and ive gone from 205lb-147 since February
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    I did the same as you when I started, I went crazy on the exercise and triggered an existing back problem!

I had to scale down my exercising dramatically, I found that I lost more weight when I just tracked my cals.

I now do a lot of low impact exercises such as cycling for short periods of time and then a light walk on the treadmill, I've also started going to the pool and walking in the water to take the pressure off my discs.

I also do some pilates,

Hope you find an exercise that you're comfortable with soon :smile:
  • Losing weight
    85 % is diet
    25% is exercise

that makes 110%......

I'm mainly watching my calorie intake....I don't do any intentional exercise but I get a bit from my job but I don't count it......

LOL - must have been tired when I was responding to that!!!