Anyone have experience with body cleanses?

Options
2»

Replies

• supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Or you could just fast for a couple days in the shower, drinking only water.

Clean inside, clean outside.
  • iamthevieve
    Options
    Dr. Natura Colonix. Been using it for years. It is very helpful for Irritable Bowel System as well. It is a three month cleanse. The first time I used it, it was disgusting what came out of my intestines. I take the powder all the time and do the cleanse in January, February, and March to get out all those pollutants from the holidays.

^^Don't Do This^^^

"But what, you may reasonably ask, is all that nastiness that colon cleansing websites so proudly display as evidence of the “success” of their cleanses? One thing you will find, if you look closely at the ingredients of many colon cleansing products, is that many of them contain bentonite clay. This clay is touted as having been used by indigenous tribes for many centuries (the fallacy of ancient wisdom–my favorite!) and as a “natural” laxative. What it really is is an absorbent aluminium phyllosilicate clay that expands in the gastrointestinal tract as it absorbs fluid. Often the bentonite clay is combined with psyllium, which is often used as a bulk-forming laxative. The beauty of this, as far as sellers of colon cleansing products go, is that bentonite clay is responsible for those disgusting rope-like stools that are touted as “evidence” that people’s colons are coated with layers of disgusting waste that is “poisoning” them. Such stools consist of the clay expanded by the liquid from the gastrointestinal tract, plus the bulk formed by psyllium, all coated with feces. Thus, the product itself produces the very condition that it claims to treat! I sometimes envision experienced and skillful con men tipping their hats in appreciation and respect when they learn this little fact about colon cleansing products."

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/colon-cleanses-a-load-of-you-know-what/

*hurk*
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    There was a doctor near me in Battle Creek that believe yogurt enemas would cleanse the body of all toxins and promote health. Of course, it was in the late 1800s and the only real long-term thing that came of his ideas was Kellogg's Cereal Company. They, however, do not sell yogurt enemas, so I'm not sure that it was such a good idea.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of digestion issues. 2 things that have helped me are either drinking water until dinner and eating all of my calories for the day in the evening for a few days, or drinking fresh sqeezed juice during the day and eating the rest of my calories in the evening for a few days. I don't view either of these as cleanses though
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Ron, thank you for the information. I remember asking them about their product before I bought it. Here is a list of the ingredients of each product. They are not bashful about listing their ingredients.

Colonix Cleansing Fiber

Psyllium Husk
    Flax Seed
    Fennel Seed
    Papaya Fruit
    Grapefruit Pectin
    Slippery Elm Bark
    Marshmallow Root
    Rhubarb Root
    Guar Gum
    Alfalfa Leaf
    Peppermint Leaf
    Uva Ursi Leaf
    Stevia Leaf Extract
    Licorice Root
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Maltodextrin
    Natural Banana Flavor
    Silica (To keep things from clumping together. I asked them about it.)

Kleritea Herbal Tea

Senna Leaf
    Buckthown Bark
    Fennel Seed
    Chamomile Flower
    Peppermint Leaf
    Cinnamon Bark
    Ginger Root
    Milk Thistle Seed
    Rose Hip Fruit
    Uva Ursi Leaf
    Passion Fruit
    Natural Citrus Flavor

Paranil

Milk thistle seed extract
    Black walnut hulls
    Grapefruit seed extract
    Clove bud
    Pau d’arco bark
    Pumpkin seed
    Myrrh gum
    Turmeric root
    Garlic bulb
    Hyssop
    Gentian root
    Elecampane root
    Prickly ash bark
    Yellow dock root
    Fenugreek seed
    Peppermint leaf
    False unicorn root
    Cellulose
    Magnesium stearate
    Silica

I recommend this product because the first time I used it, I did have long, stringy stools, but they were wiggling. I fished them from the toilet and put them in the jar. I made a doctor's appointment for that same day and took my 'friends' with me. He sent them out to a lab and that is how I found out I had worms. YEEK!!!

The Silica is to keep things from clumping together. They use it in a lot of food stuff. Basically, it is sand. I know, it is amazing what is passed off as food and herbals. LOL

Anyway, I really do recommend this product. It has stabilized my IBS very nicely. I haven't had an attack in years.
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think most any cleanses you can buy in health food stores (just ask an associate for help) will be helpful. I think you should do one at least once a year, and don't totally junk your diet back up afterward. Good luck! :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Cleanses are useless. Your liver and your kidneys cleanse your body, that's their JOB.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have been having some irregular digestion issues lately and my doctor suggested trying a cleanse to "re-start/re-boot" my digestive tract. She gave me a long list and I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with body cleanses, OTC or home remedies.

I appreciate any feedback!!

If your doctor recommended a "cleanse", then it's time to get a new doctor.

+1000
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Dr. Natura Colonix. Been using it for years. It is very helpful for Irritable Bowel System as well. It is a three month cleanse. The first time I used it, it was disgusting what came out of my intestines. I take the powder all the time and do the cleanse in January, February, and March to get out all those pollutants from the holidays.

^^Don't Do This^^^

"But what, you may reasonably ask, is all that nastiness that colon cleansing websites so proudly display as evidence of the “success” of their cleanses? One thing you will find, if you look closely at the ingredients of many colon cleansing products, is that many of them contain bentonite clay. This clay is touted as having been used by indigenous tribes for many centuries (the fallacy of ancient wisdom–my favorite!) and as a “natural” laxative. What it really is is an absorbent aluminium phyllosilicate clay that expands in the gastrointestinal tract as it absorbs fluid. Often the bentonite clay is combined with psyllium, which is often used as a bulk-forming laxative. The beauty of this, as far as sellers of colon cleansing products go, is that bentonite clay is responsible for those disgusting rope-like stools that are touted as “evidence” that people’s colons are coated with layers of disgusting waste that is “poisoning” them. Such stools consist of the clay expanded by the liquid from the gastrointestinal tract, plus the bulk formed by psyllium, all coated with feces. Thus, the product itself produces the very condition that it claims to treat! I sometimes envision experienced and skillful con men tipping their hats in appreciation and respect when they learn this little fact about colon cleansing products."

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/colon-cleanses-a-load-of-you-know-what/

+10,000. You are getting my Poster of the Day Award!!! (maybe even the whole month--and it's only 12/3)