weird walking side effects

Options
i have pretty much always walked, despite being overweight, but never deliberately as a form of exercise. now i am trying to lose weight i decided that would be the easiest thing to start my exercising off, as i can't afford the gym and know i won't be able to run yet (i'm hoping to give it a go some time in the new year).

the only problem is, now i am walking around 3-4 miles each time i go for a walk (3-4 times a week) rather than just short distances i have noticed some side effects. i keep on getting numb toes and really bad blisters (sorry, gross i know). at first i thought it had to be my shoes. having tried every pair i own i went out and bought new trainers, specifically for their comfort, but i'm still having the same problem. i would love to be walking further and more often, but the pain of blisters and strange sensation of numb toes are stopping me from achieving this.

has anyone had the same problem or knows a way i can combat this? i feel like a nutter! please help...

Replies

• ginareejoy
    ginareejoy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have the same problems. The blisters stopped after the first week....but I often deal with the numb toes. It could be a couple of things, from what I've read. Circulation problems, or simply tying your shoes too tight. I take breaks during my walk to stretch good, and of course stretch before and after. I've noticed alot of people struggle with that.
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have a high arch so I have a similar problem of experiencing discomfort after walking a long distance all in one shot.
    You might want to try increasing your incidental walking. If you live in an area with public transportation then you will get a lot more walking on work days if you take the bus or train.
    I take the train to work everyday and get around 2 miles of walking in. It's more bearable when you break it up into shorter segments.
  • ITTYbitty04
    ITTYbitty04 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I too have had the numb toe sensation while walking. Mine is not that bad and usually goes away after about 10 minutes or so. I would agree with the other post about shoes being tied to tight. Sometimes I just have to loosen mine a bit and then they feel better. I'm up to walking about a hour a day and usually get either numb toes, hurting shines or hurting feet. It usually goes away a after a bit and then I'm able to push on through. Hope you find a happy median so that you can get the results you want. If it continues you may want to see a podiatrist to see if you need inserts for your shoes. :wink:
  • jenhillis
    Options
    I am a very avid walker! I too get the numb toes but also from the eliptical. I agree the lossening og the shoes and stretching breaks do help. I THINK it is the constant hard pressure/impack of walking for the exercise part of it as I do not get numb toes from walking around all day. The blisters do get better but also make sure that you have good supportive tight socks because I found that when I wear socks that slip in my shoes I get blisters too.
  • jeclpi
    jeclpi Posts: 28
    Options
    I used to have a similar problem but I use petroleum jelly (Vaseline in the UK) to coat my feet before putting socks on - and try to get running socks as these often have extra padding protection. Haven't had a blister in more than 6 years now, despite the fact that I started hiking and sometimes walk all day.

The numb feet mean you may just need to get a size bigger shoes than you would normally wear as your feet are probably swelling more than you realise. Also try practising 'good toes, bad toes' (an old ballet school term) pointing them forwards and back when sitting down, and then rotating ankles and massaging. I find it helps to increase blood flow day-to-day.

Hope these tips help!!! :wink:
  • floreo22
    floreo22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, i'll give it all a go. i did loosen the shoes on tonight's walk, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference, but i'll keep experimenting. just so glad i'm not the only one!
  • gary8964
    Options
    I agree with the tips. I am also going to try them out. I have blisters on my heels and I do get the numb toes. I am usually able to push through it though.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I used to have a similar problem but I use petroleum jelly (Vaseline in the UK) to coat my feet before putting socks on - and try to get running socks as these often have extra padding protection. Haven't had a blister in more than 6 years now, despite the fact that I started hiking and sometimes walk all day.

The numb feet mean you may just need to get a size bigger shoes than you would normally wear as your feet are probably swelling more than you realise. Also try practising 'good toes, bad toes' (an old ballet school term) pointing them forwards and back when sitting down, and then rotating ankles and massaging. I find it helps to increase blood flow day-to-day.

Hope these tips help!!! :wink:

I run, but completely agree about bigger shoes: at least a half size - being on your feet for an extended period will cause your feet to swell regardless of what you are doing. And even moreso when you are exercising. Socks will help and I also do the vaseline thing too, especially in the winter.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    It could also be that you need wider shoes. It may help if you get your feet measured at a shoe store so you can make sure you are sized correctly. I only get the numbness on the elliptical and the arc/orbital trainer and usually that cues me that I need to get a new pair of shoes. I don't need my shoes as tight when I am using those as I do when I am walking, so I tend to keep my shoes very loose when doing either of them.
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I agree with loosening your shoe laces - especially across the top of the arch, and trying wider shoes.
    for the blisters: My husband gets them no matter what shoes he wears, so he's just gone to thin moleskin (not the thick molefoam) every time. It's part of the socks and shoes routine: moleskin, socks, workout shoes, shorts etc.

Don't give up - keep walking!
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I am a very avid walker! I too get the numb toes but also from the eliptical. I agree the lossening og the shoes and stretching breaks do help. I THINK it is the constant hard pressure/impack of walking for the exercise part of it as I do not get numb toes from walking around all day. The blisters do get better but also make sure that you have good supportive tight socks because I found that when I wear socks that slip in my shoes I get blisters too.

With walking I only have numb toes when doing hikes of at least 8 miles. But I get the same from cross trainer!
  • kegonzales
    Options
    All of you avid walkers have you tried walking with poles? Aka. Nordic pole walking. This is a great way to increase the caloric burn because using the poles forces you to use your upper body and abdominal muscles. Check out www.urbanpoling.com. I really enjoy it!