What do you class as exercise?

Options
Hi, im quite new to this and i'm just wondering do people only log fitness classes/dvd's, going to the gym etc as exercise or do you include other things such as work, housework and shopping etc...

Replies

• LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I usually take things into consideration that I don't normally do in my daily routine. So if I vacuum the whole house once/twice a month, I would log that. But if I normally walk around at school for an hour or so 5x a week, I don't log that. I hope that helps a bit!

Oh, I should clarify I guess. I do log working out, even though that's part of my normal day! I guess what I'm trying to say is that I log workouts as well as other things which aren't normal routine!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i only count cleaning, rolling yarn, grocery shopping, and light walking.
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't count walking up the school everyday, cleaning or shopping. I only count real exercise.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,014 Member
    Options
    I dont count normal cleaning or things that are part of my normal routine except for going to the gym, my walks, etc. but if it is deep cleaning, or something like that then I do log it. I hope that makes sense
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I only count things that are above and beyond my normal daily activities that I was doing prior to starting MFP. For example, if I was cooking before and say burning 150 calories and after starting MFP I'm still cooking and burning 150 calories. That is not really an exercise for me. According to my nutritionist (who I asked this very same question), I should only be counting those things that are above and beyond normal daily activities such as cleaning, cooking, dusting, general housework. I think if you do count those type of items you shouldnt eat those calories back or you may find the scale going in the wrong direction.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    At first, I listed myself as sedentary and counted EVERYTHING. Then I listed myself more accurately as lightly active and only logged actual exercise, or activities above and beyond normal activity. I'll log mowing the lawn, shoveling the sidewalks, extreme cleaning (like when the inlaws are visiting) or rearranging furniture.
  • racheljoanne
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys.
    I work at a nursery so I find my job can be quite active at times. I also walk to work every day but i have always done this so I dont think il count it as exercise.

When you log exercise are you meant to eat those calories as extra? I don't understand how that works?
    Ah well what i was doing wasn't working so il give it a try i suppose :smile:
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    How about sitting quietly and cashiering?
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I only count movement as exercise when I have my HRM on. I don't wear my HRM to clean, shop, or the occasional squats when I'm waiting for the microwave to ding.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I only log activity that I wasn't doing when I gained the weight.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Heart rate up + sweat (cardio)
    Push myself (strength)
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

:laugh:

I personally think you're just cheating yourself when you count stuff that is in your normal realm of activities. Especially since when you set up your MFP account you should have already accounted for your normal daily activity in your settings. I only count the things that REALLY take some effort.
  • ksloop00
    ksloop00 Posts: 144
    Options
    I log any kind of exercise. I'm confined to a wheelchair and work at a hospital and wheel a lot. I wear a stopwatch that counts my calories. I also lift weights and do crunches and pull-ups.