.... I can't do my workout today?? But why not???

Options
I am currently doing a workout dvd that has a 6 week workout plan with it. 2 days a week lower body, 2 days a week upper and 2 days of cardio and one complete rest day. Today is supposed to be my rest day but I just don't want to. I want to get started on my lower body workout (Yesterday was upper). Is there any reason that I shouldn't? If upper and lower are on altering days then I am still getting a rest day for the areas worked. Anyone have an input?

Replies

• JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    My trainer has always told me to rest.. Even though your body may not hurt it still needs a day to heal.. I use my rest day to double up on the liquids and do lots of stretching :)
  • tegla
    tegla Posts: 132
    Options
    You've got great spirit, go for it! Or perhaps an outdoor activity. But it's true, we do need rest to allow our bodies recoup, drink and eat so your muscles can catch up to that hard work and fill in the new muscle, etc.

Great work, keep up your inspiring spirit and motivation!
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Do low intesity cardio...maybe a 4-5 mile walk outside.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Do low intesity cardio...maybe a 4-5 mile walk outside.

this!!!
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    a good long stretch does wonders too.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I agree.... a rest day is great for allowing your body to heal and to prevent future injury. If you don't feel like resting, how about going for a long walk? During my rest day this week, I'm going to take my kids on a long walk to look at Christmas lights one evening. FUN! I might even finish the night off with hot chocolate or mulled juice for the everyone.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'll also do yoga on my rest day (which I'll be doing tomorrow). The stretching is great! (And since I do yoga at the gym I workout at, they can design the yoga for that day around what will likely need the most stretching based on our workouts from that week!) I also like the walk suggestions!

Great attitude!
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    Hi,

Your body will only improve if you rest, it's great you want to crack on and get stuck in but you do need to rest, that is why you only do 6 days out of 7. Also if you train everyday there is a chance you will burn out and end up being ill or injured which means a long time recovering.

Take it easy, it is a long life changing journey not a sprint to the finish.

Good luck

Scott
  • newarkco05
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers everyone. I appreciate all the advice. I am not trying to rush it or anything, I just honestly felt the urge to be workout out today. My question was more so if there is an issue with workout upper and body more than twice a week each. Is there anything wrong with working it 3 times each and then having one rest say?