Elliptical Trainers

Options
Has anyone had problems with their feet/legs going numb while using the elliptical. I talked to the trainer at my gym, and she said it was normal, but it seems weird to me. After about 10 minutes, I start loosing feeling in my toes, and it spreads up my legs, until I have to stop, and walk around for a while to get feeling back. Please let me know if you have dealt with this, or what you did to get it to stop!

Thanks!

Replies

• tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had problems with their feet/legs going numb while using the elliptical. I talked to the trainer at my gym, and she said it was normal, but it seems weird to me. After about 10 minutes, I start loosing feeling in my toes, and it spreads up my legs, until I have to stop, and walk around for a while to get feeling back. Please let me know if you have dealt with this, or what you did to get it to stop!

Thanks!
  • ajasiak
    ajasiak Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    try wearing diffrent shoes and how fast are you going? and is it your first time?
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time...are you a pronator? I have flat feet and pronate a bit...I always get numb in my big toes and feet when I do the eliptical. What sometimes helps is when I reverse the eliptical and start going backwards...it shifts my center of gravity and my heels push in more...Do you run? I also run and have the same issue. I did get some custom orthotics with special cut outs and cushions..but with limited results.
    Cheers!
  • tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have been using the elliptical for several months now (on and off), and it seems to happen almost every time. I tried buying insoles for my shoes, but maybe I should just get a new pair all together.
  • fullofjoy720
    Options
    yeah i was wondering what that weird feeling was too.
  • CoachFoland
    CoachFoland Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen as well. My gym recently got new machines, and they don't do it anymore (which I find off, because there really isn't a noticable difference).
  • mshellclmnt
    Options
    Same thing happens here. I've tried 2 diffrent types of shoes.
  • alisha123
    Options
    This happens to me too. I want to try to run a half marathon so I started this program to train and the past couple weeks I've been running my foot goes numb. I'm worried I won't be able to do a half marathon. I have to stop walk till it goes away then i can run again, but it comes back :(
  • marisa0918
    Options
    Happens to me too after about 20 mins. Usually it is just my big toe and it goes away a couple mins after I stop.
  • mmackie
    Options
    Yes, I have had this problem for over a year now. I have a nerve problem in the ball of my fot and after about 15 minutes on the elliptical (or the treadmil-it doesn't) matter, my foot begins hurting so bad and it radiates up my leg. I have gone to the Dr. because it has really prevented me from working out, because my foot is sore the next day and I can barely walk. So, I want to the Dr. amd she said that I needed to get a shot (like cortisone). But I was too scared :sad: . I think I'm going to go back and get it though because it just hurts so darn bad. :grumble: By the way, getting different shoes did nothing at all...Good luck!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I get that too, but after several minutes, it seems to go away on it's own.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Yes it is very normal since your feet aren't moving- but as that happens you can just re-adjust your feet on the pedals thats what I do
    Options
    I get the numbing of the toes also. It is caused by a nerve that is getting pinched. What was suggested to me was don't leave your feet in one position on the machines. Try just on the ball of your feet for a few minutes and then reg. then you might want to try the heels. Try having them more forward on the peddles and then farther back on the peddles, try to keep them in different postions. This way they won't go completly numb. Hope this helps
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time...are you a pronator? I have flat feet and pronate a bit...I always get numb in my big toes and feet when I do the eliptical. What sometimes helps is when I reverse the eliptical and start going backwards...it shifts my center of gravity and my heels push in more...Do you run? I also run and have the same issue. I did get some custom orthotics with special cut outs and cushions..but with limited results.
    Cheers!

Bang on the money, my feet re the same, I do 70 minutes on the elliptical, the more I increase the tension the quicker my feet fall asleep, i do level 15 but like yourself, as soon as they start, mostly my right foot, don't really know why, guess i'm just weird :laugh: I reverse to backwards, the shoes won't help a whole lot, my best bet is always barefoot, sounds weird but it helps.
  • fitchick99
    Options
    I've had this happen as well. My gym recently got new machines, and they don't do it anymore (which I find off, because there really isn't a noticable difference).

holy cow, your display pic is hilarious!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    your feet dont move on the elliptical its just your legs - all your weight is on your feet so your feet get bored and fall asleep the best thing to do is move your feet around in different positions- Try not to lean forward and stand up straight, also try loosening your shoe laces. Its a common problem of your feet going numb/fall asleep on the elliptical.
  • fitchick99
    Options
    Have you ever been striding away on your elliptical trainer, getting into a great workout, and then realize that one of your feet has gone numb all of a sudden? It’s no fun and is a great way to break your concentration and ruin what was otherwise a terrific workout. Sometimes your foot throbs so much you need to cut your elliptical trainer workout short to walk off the numbness.

First, take heart in knowing that you are not alone. There are many people out there just like you who suffer from the same problem! This article will reveal why this happens and give you some tips for dealing with it.

It does seem unusual that your foot would fall asleep while you’re standing upright. This usually happens while either lying or sitting, but have you ever stood in the same position in a line that isn’t moving? This is the perfect condition for getting numb feet. The prolonged pressure on the nerves in your feet can cause what is known as paresthesia or as is commonly referred to as "pins and needles" or a tingling sensation.

Using an elliptical trainer is very similar to standing motionless in one place. The low impact nature of an elliptical trainer is the result of your feet never leaving the foot pedals. While great for your knees and other joints, it’s what can cause your feet to lose sensation.

It’s important to wear well-cushioned athletic footwear when exercising on an elliptical trainer, but this may not be enough. The root cause of the problem is the constant pressure of your body weight on the nerves in your feet.

The first thing to do is make sure that you don't have an underlying medical condition such as diabetes or Morton's neuroma that is causing your problem. So get checked out by your doctor to eliminate these possibilities. You should also evaluate your athletic footwear and be sure that it fits properly. There should be adequate room for your toes in the toe box of the shoe.
  • abillings9
    Options
    Hmm I've had this problem when I've used my elliptical too. Interesting!
  • tazzy
    tazzy Posts: 197
    Options
    nothing to do with types of shoes guys its just because your feet arent moving easily fixed keep your shoes slightly lose and alternate forward and backward regulary and wiggle your toes every now and then. I also find if you really bust your gut and workout at 85% max hr your too busy workng hard for it to be a problem.
  • fitchick99
    Options
    nothing to do with types of shoes guys its just because your feet arent moving easily fixed keep your shoes slightly lose and alternate forward and backward regulary and wiggle your toes every now and then. I also find if you really bust your gut and workout at 85% max hr your too busy workng hard for it to be a problem.

your shoes do play a role in every type of exercise you do, however monir it may be the shoe needs to be right, that's like saying you can use rollerblades on the ice...shoes matter, anyone in the fitness industry will tell you that